SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What were your favorite childhood toys?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What were your favorite childhood toys? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
I liked all of those, but the Slinky was my favorite.

Yeah I liked those but could not get it to do the cool stuff they showed in the TV commercial. It was then that I began to learn about advertising.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
As a little kid I had a folding wing balsa wood glider that my dad bought for me when we visited the Wright-Patt Air Force museum. From what I can remember it looked a lot like this:

I played with it for a long time, finding endless ways to launch it, throw it, tweek the tail for different flights, etc. I think I eventually wore it out. It was probably a $5-$10 toy and I learned so much about how things fly by messing with it. I had so much fun with it that I eventually moved on to real R/C airplanes as I got older, many of which I still have gathering dust in the basement.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for posting that. I had some of those as well and played with them a lot. I had forgotten about that.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Surfer
posted Hide Post
My Daisy BB gun.

Posts: 1639 | Location: South East Mo. | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Tonka trucks and Ertl farm toys. Dad would buy one farm toy every year at the Ionia Free Fair, usually a John Deere of some sort.

When the collection got big enough (I was 8 or so) he built a barn/tool shed for me to keep them in. Raised a LOT of corn and soybeans on the bedroom floor.

What was left of my older brothers' (plural) erector set and a couple of sets of Lincoln Logs built all the outbuildings and any implements I felt I needed.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Transformers. I broke all kinds of em. Collectors would weep. I weep.

And those die cast cap guns that were detective special clones with the orange cylinder. The 12 shot ones. Me and the guys would go to war at recess.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Child of hte 80's here.

We had GI Joe's and not just hte "action figures" but he vehicles. The cool ones, that had spring loaded "guns" that fired missles as well.

We had NERF guns... or at least the very early ones. I remember one year the NERF "bow and arrow" was the hottest toy, and our parents bought them for us, or at least got the rain check for them... I think we actually got them in July. But it was fun, since we could shoot foam arrows 40 feet of so at each other.

Lazer tag... One year, the entire family got this. WE all got the guns, and vests, and helmets. Not just the 9 cousins at the family gift exchange, but the 4 dad's too... It ended up in a huge yard/surrounding 40 acres of woods melee that was absolutely awesome!

Before Lego's there were "Construx" Similar concept, except you built everything at 90 degree angles, and later, 45 degree angles. It was all up to the imagination and I build everything from skyscrapers to aircraft carriers with them.

WE also had a complete arsenal of toy guns, everything from toy M16's, Beretta 92's, M60's, 1911's, Colt Peacemakers in cowboy rigs, and toy cap grenades that would shoot the little red black powder caps... They were weighted on the bottom so would land on the cap and "pop." I was the best damn armed 9 year old in the state!!!!

(Ya, my parents woulnd't buy us a Nintendo, so we had to make do.)

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Probably this when really young, then plastic army men and toy guns.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Fort Apache
Lincoln Logs (multiple sets)
Anything Star Wars

Posts: 6305 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Tonka trucks, Märklin trains, and any toy gun with a working trigger.

Trucks are gone, trains I still have, and toy guns have been replaced with real guns Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
- Legos
- Hot Wheels
- Star Wars action figures and my Millennium Falcon
- Micronauts
- Toy/Cap guns

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I think I had the siren hooked up most if the time Big Grin

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Mattel or somebody make an M14 rifle that made noise when you pulled the trigger. It took batteries and was so cool that nothing else came close. Also, I rode my Schwinn bike into the ground from so much use. And lastly, my daisy bb gun which has I still have. Oh yeah, brings back know memories.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes a Schwann "Stingray" and growing up when Evel Knievel was a role model.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Major Matt Mason astronaut stuff. Moved on to Hotwheels, the Sizzlers being my favorite. Erector set was a pretty high use toy as well.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Erector Set, Lincoln Logs, Tinker toys and my Lionel Train.

Still have the train from about 1960 and my son and my grandsons have no interest. They're all about Legos.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Memorable ones through the years:

Lincoln Logs - Erector Sets

Cowboy Cap pistols and holsters

Johnny Reb Cannon

GI Joe's

Sgt. Saunders - and another army men

Man From Uncle Attache Case

Hot Wheels

Schwinn StingRay

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Daisy "Red Ryder" BB rifle and my double Roy Rogers six shooters.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
"Lunar Rover" erector set, Lincoln Logs, American Building Bricks, B-52 Ball Turret Gun.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post