SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long is your commute?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long is your commute? Login/Join 
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
11 minutes by car.
22 minutes by bike (my usual form of transportation to work).
20 minutes walking to the BART station and then catching the train.

Posts: 5605 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Last job before retiring was 25 minutes each way.

Two jobs prior to that were under a mile. Took longer to clear the windshield than to drive to work.

Longest ever was when I was stationed in Charleston, SC. Don't remember how far it was (I lived out in the swamps, Monck's Corner) but with me and about 5000 other people all trying to get on the Naval Base at the same time, it ws a bit of a challenge. I worked at the back of the base in the old hospital complex so it wasn't as bad as trying to get in the main gate with all the sandcrabs.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15487 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was an hour then I moved closer. Now about 15 minutes. That extra hour and a half each day really makes a difference, and I can't imagine going back to a long commute.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Funny this poll came up.

Today is my first day at a new job.
After 16+ years with the same company and working from home for the last 10, I will be going into an office again.

40 minute drive; almost all of it at highway speeds.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 previous jobs the commute was 25-35 minutes.
Currently my commute is 10-12 minutes.

Posts: 1184 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Currently...? about 3 feet from my bedroom door to my office. Big Grin

But if I'm traveling, it's a plane flight there, usually about a 10 min commute each way to the client site from the hotel, and then a flight home. Frown

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
A "bad commute" for me is when I have to step over the dog, my office is down the hall from my bedroom.

OTOH, this means I am "at work" 24x7, plus I have to visit client sites on average three times a week, and this can be 30 min. to two hours each way (5-10 miles, and completely unpredictable at any time of the day or night in DC traffic). I try to specify "portal-to-portal" in my consulting contracts, but most clients won't accept this. Many days, I am in traffic more hours than I am billing.

Posts: 6757 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old commute was always during rush hour traffic. It usually took me an hour to get to work. Usually took me 30 min to get home. A couple times I got to make the trip when traffic was "good" & I made the same trip in 12 min. That's how bad the traffic was. I loved the job, but it was physically hard & mandatory 6 days a week.
Now my job takes me usually 12 min either way. I don't even get on any highways. It's a scenic commute. I really like this job as well, but I do miss my other "work" from time to time. Much less stress from the morning drive & fewer near-hit, close calls with other drivers.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
18 mile drive, 25-30min typical, sometimes as long as 45min, have made it in 20min.

The kicker is that in a straight line from my house to work is about 7 miles.

Posts: 10192 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
About 60 seconds or so. Quick walk from one side of the house to the other.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is short, around 20 mins, sometimes just walking down the stairs to my office in a minute will suffice.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
70 miles each way, with no traffic it takes 1 1/2 hours....with traffic I think my record is 4 1/2 hours

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10375 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
Two hours, each way. Fortunately I only have to do it once or twice a week. Sometimes, it's no times a week.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
7/10 of a mile to my place of business. I drive most of the time. Sometimes the dog lobbies for a walk in to work. Walk days make the pup pretty happy.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20 miles= 20 minutes door to door at 4am and 1 hour returning at the end of the day.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13489 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12 blocks. 3 minutes if the traffic is heavy.....

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 732 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I go to the office, it's 5 1/8th miles. I can work from home, so sometimes much shorter.

The longest drive to a client's location is about an hour.

I don't log a bunch of mile anymore Smile

Posts: 2105 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live quite a ways from where I am currently stationed. My drive is about an hour in the morning (at 0500) and anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours in the evening (leaving between 1700 and 1800). I leave for Afghanistan in a few months and can't wait to stop driving 600 miles a week.

Posts: 2018 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
An hour and 5 minutes to work, and an hour and a half home - on average.

I've gotten to work in as little as 45 minutes, and as much as 3 hours when there was a major crash in one of the tunnels I go through.

Have gotten home in as little as an hour, and once, during a particularly light dusting of snow that paralyzed all the shitty drivers in our area, I left work at 5:30 and didn't get home until 11:00 PM.

minus the tunnels, this is my exact commute, except if there's even a dusting of snow I tell everyone coming in is optional. I don't have the patience to deal with shitty drivers.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Fifteen minutes to, and eighteen minutes fro. It's 9.9 miles one way.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5522 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post