SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    vline safe in camry - bolting through the floor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

vline safe in camry - bolting through the floor? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
i have a late model camry. i'm looking to install a vline safe - either Brute or Slide-away. i looked for a console safe but i only found one option and it sounds expensive, flimsy and I don't like the lock options. i have a vline installed in my other car.

question: the two install points seem to be either: 1) rear passenger floor; underneath the floor looks uncomplicated and exposed, 2) trunk.

I think the trunk mount (slide away) would be easy). but it's not entirely convenient; would need to add/remove things from the safe between destinations.

the rear passenger floor (brute top door) may be convenient but i'm concerned about bolting through the floor. body integrity, rust / corrosion, etc. is this something that could be done w/o any issues for the life of the car (say 20 years) - what's the right way to do it? or is bolting through the floor panel not advised?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12711 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take the whole rig to either a local body shop or safe installer. Preferably whoever does the work building the local police patrol vehicles. They can give you the best advice.
Our unmarked detective cars had security vaults installed in the trunk. The body shop that fixed our wrecks installed them. You might DIY the install, but having it done professionally is smart.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16055 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The place I use does a lot of work for LE vehicles. I generally trust them but they will do things knowing that the government is picking up the tab if something bad happens like corrosion. So they may not have data or considerations like mine. I need the car to last. But I guess anything can be fixed. Just a matter of cost. I wonder if the floor is metal and can have the vline mounting plate welded to the floor. I’ll ask.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12711 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A note about bolts. Don’t leave bolts long enough to rip open your gas tank in the event of a rear end collision.

Posts: 880 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I would just bolt something like the quick release base plate in the trunk, just be sure where you drill, put a rubber grommet around the hole the bolt goes through.

People bolt down air tanks, compressors, etc for lift kits, all the time. With the quick release you could remove the vault easily as needed.Link

Posts: 23360 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. In the trunk, I would mount / suspend it high under the rear 'dashboard' - off the trunk floor.

Mounting in the rear passenger area would be on the floor. Sounds like bolting down through the floor plate is not a problem, just consider what's underneath and the gas tank.

Okay - I'll take it to the shop and see what they say.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If you are worried about corrosion use stainless bolts and then paint the entire underside where the bolts came through with some kind of paint or corrosion protection.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post