SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jay Leno's 1957 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jay Leno's 1957 Cadillac Coupe de Ville Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad had one for a very short time. Perhaps he borrowed it?
Regardless, every time I see those rubber nipple bumpers, I think back to being 6 years old and pretending to be like Ali by punching the rubber.

Thanks for posting that Para.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regardless, every time I see those rubber nipple bumpers,

Dagmars, they were named this after a populuar buxom TV star.. Historical Link

Leno has an eclectic car collection, I'd love to see it one day...

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Brings back memories. One of my cousins in 64 after getting his 63 Impala repossessed bought a white 57 Coupe De Ville. He drove it like he approached life, last time I remember riding in it we were on the expressway doing 100. Next day while he was pulling into his driveway one of the ball joints separated…..

Second 57 memory, 1967, is an old h.s. classmate. As none of us had our licenses her year older sister took a few of us to one of the local malls. The classmate had a crush on me, my crush was on her sister. I got to sit next to her on the trip there.

Last one was pretty sad to me anyhow. This was in the early 80’s while living in the Southwest. Old guy, you could tell he had a rough life as well as his 57 did. Could barely walk, He was a old acquaintance of the car dealer I worked for there. Needed a tire puncture repair, while we normally didn’t do those we took care of it. What got my attention were the Sabre wheels on it, three of four hubcaps were missing. Also, back seat was filled with suitcases and clothing, he was on the move to somewhere.

One thing about that stood out was the rodeo belt buckle he was wearing. After he left a couple of people at the dealership knew his story. Back in the fifties and early sixties he was quite the rodeo competitor and the Cadillac was one of his prizes.

I always wonder if time reversed for him at least fleetingly while behind the wheel?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Regardless, every time I see those rubber nipple bumpers,

Dagmars, they were named this after a populuar buxom TV star.. Historical Link

Leno has an eclectic car collection, I'd love to see it one day...

I see the resemblance!

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8652 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Great Aunt (1902 Vintage) inherited a late 50s red Coupe de Ville convertible when her husband passed in the early 60s.
He was 6’4”, she was 4’10” on her tallest day.
She had to sit on 3 Atlanta phone books just to see over the steering wheel. I have NO idea how she reached the pedals.
I remember being in awe of electric windows.
Billy

Posts: 282 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Back when cars had tits and men had balls.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My next door neighbor has a '57 El Dorado convertible......pink with white leather interior(factory colors) He restored it and keeps it very nice.

Posts: 6701 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Jay Leno has an impressive collection.
I have been watching repeats of the old Perry Mason series from the '50s and '60s. The show featured some stunning cars.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cadillac story:
In the late 60s, my old man showed up with a 59 Coupe de Ville. A previous owner had a fatal heart attack while he was parked in a rest stop. He was not discovered in the car until he had been reduced to a juicy goo. The insurance company involved totaled it and it was sold to someone who said he could "clean it up". Which he did, more or less. And my old man bought it cheap, even though he knew the cars history. Problem was, under certain weather conditions, there was a lingering odor of decomp in the car. As soon as my mother learned this story, she launched into an epic bitch fit and forced the old man to sell it. Too bad, because I was about get my drivers license and I could have cruised in the Coupe de Deathville!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of my Dad's '57 Chevy Bel-Air and that huge steering wheel.

Posts: 9232 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jay Leno does a pretty good car of showcasing his cars. He knows so much about each car.

I've got those rubber bullet/boobs on my 59 Impala. I've racked my knees and legs on them. It hurts.

P229

Posts: 3942 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
One of my grandfathers had something very similar, though I forget the model year, but late fifties.

I was facinated that the rear tail light housing moved so you could fill it with gasoline.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
"You need a tug boat to change lanes..."

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39860 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Cadillac story:
In the late 60s, my old man showed up with a 59 Coupe de Ville. A previous owner had a fatal heart attack while he was parked in a rest stop. He was not discovered in the car until he had been reduced to a juicy goo. The insurance company involved totaled it and it was sold to someone who said he could "clean it up". Which he did, more or less. And my old man bought it cheap, even though he knew the cars history. Problem was, under certain weather conditions, there was a lingering odor of decomp in the car. As soon as my mother learned this story, she launched into an epic bitch fit and forced the old man to sell it. Too bad, because I was about get my drivers license and I could have cruised in the Coupe de Deathville!

My late friend Gordy’s dad in the late 60’s was partnered with a used car lot and used to acquire distressed cars and rebuild and recondition them. To give you an idea he bought a year old El Camino once (1968) that was rolled and repaired. How much bondo was used I couldn’t tell you. I know the roof had a bunch of ripples in it, solution was to put a vinyl top on it. And as it was a 307 Powerglide plain Jane he decided to dress it up with mag wheels. So he dug around, came up with two sets of two wheels, similar but different. Solution, two on one side, two on the other side. As he said “Nobody’s gonna see both sides the same time!”

Anyhow, his solution for decomp cars was those big bags of cedar shavings used for animal bedding. Two or three of those spread throughout the passenger compartment and the trunk, roll up the windows and let it sit in the sun for a week or two then replace seats, carpets and door panels.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Reminds me of my Dad's '57 Chevy Bel-Air and that huge steering wheel.

I had a '56 Chevy for about 10 years. That large steering wheel is there to provide more torque, to help turning when you have no power steering. And to kill you with the metal cone shaped piece at the center of the wheel in a collision.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10870 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Billy gibbons Cadzilla sometime

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55141 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I used to hate it when I heard of people doing updates to vintage cars. I thought they should always be restored to the condition they were in when they left the factory.

Now I can see the wisdom in updating a lot of the components, especially if it's one you are going to routinely drive. He must have spent a fortune on that "free" car.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
He must have spent a fortune on that "free" car.
I believe he mentioned ~$20K on just the chrome.

Sometimes lack of original parts (after decades) are just not available for 100% original restoration. You won't find any "original" tires (as it left the factory), either.

Posts: 9232 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
I used to hate it when I heard of people doing updates to vintage cars. I thought they should always be restored to the condition they were in when they left the factory.

Now I can see the wisdom in updating a lot of the components, especially if it's one you are going to routinely drive. He must have spent a fortune on that "free" car.

I was of the same school of thought....until my drum brakes worked intermittently. I upgraded to front disc brakes and it's been the best upgrade to our 59.

I'm a big fan of stopping.

P229

Posts: 3942 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post