SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ranking seven different encrypted messaging apps
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ranking seven different encrypted messaging apps Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So it is free and occasionally ask for donations?

What is your point? You do realize how the web, server, and and software development works? You seem to suggest nefarious aspects in your posts but never follow up.

Posts: 7671 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In this instance, I think the man was simply asking an honest question.

Posts: 109048 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I prefer Signal too for the reasons already stated. Unfortunately, I can't get all of my family to switch from messenger.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I prefer Signal too for the reasons already stated. Unfortunately, I can't get all of my family to switch from messenger.

This is the first I've heard of it, and will definitely look into it. Most all of my instant messaging to anyone I know has been via direct text from my iPhone, or via Messenger. I've never sent anything that I really felt needed to be kept "Private", so in that vein, do I really need to use Signal? Is there a valid reason to do so under my current usage limits?

Posts: 4779 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
In this instance, I think the man was simply asking an honest question.

Exactly,

I do not know what you mean bytes. Just an honest question.
Sorry you did not understand.
And no I do not profess a lot about server, software development, etc. either.

The topic Para raised is of interest to me and know little about it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19708 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup. There is a fair amount of good software available from various sources, where the developer does not impose a fixed charge, but does accept donations to fund it.

Visualize something like SIGforum, if you will, working in a mode where there is no charge made for membership, but the owner would accept voluntary donations to help underwrite the cost of maintaining the server(s), paying his internet provider for the bandwidth, etc. Similar concept.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Question: but I suspect the answer is obvious but I want to confirm: to use signals, both parties need to have signals installed, right?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
i want to say one or two times per year.

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not know what you mean bytes. Just an honest question.
Sorry you did not understand.
And no I do not profess a lot about server, software development, etc. either.

The topic Para raised is of interest to me and know little about it.

My bad Cross, I was reading sarcasm when none was intended on your part. My apologies.

Posts: 7671 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
This is something I need to research more. Thanks for the video and heads up.

Posts: 3025 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It’s a shame BlackBerry never figured out a way to market their Messenger and expand it to include calls.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that big graphic ensigmatic. It was very helpful.

I’ll stick with iMessage for the time being. Most of my family and many of my friends have it.

And my financial guy too – the only one of my contacts with a significant security concern. At least, so far.

ETA – Decided to get Signal for my iPhone after all. It’s free, and looks like no hassle. And it probably annoys the Feds. Smile Thanks, Para and ensigmatic.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
I just heard about the phone and apps developed by Eric Prince (of Blackwater fame).
There was a thread about it here not long back. Rather than repeat the points that were raised there, I suggest you look it up. Bottom line: I wouldn't hold my breath.
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Ensigmatic, I don't use any "chat" services on my desktop but do have Express VPN. I do do texting with my family on my phone and maybe a business item or two.
Do I need Signal or equivalent?
Need? I don't know about need, per se. If there's nothing in your text messaging or phone calls (voice or video) that you care about anybody else ever seeing: Probably not.

I'm obliged to occasionally pass sensitive info. Email, unless you go with encryption, which can be a tricky proposition, is out. With something like SPM I have a convenient tool with which to do so.

Then there's the "if you can message securely, you should, just as a matter-of-course" philosophy. A philosophy to which I subscribe.

SPM does more than just texting, btw. It also supports voice and video calling.
quote:
Yes: Signal Private Messenger is free and they do occasionally ask if you'd care to donate.

I donate to Open Whisper Systems (the makers of Signal) annually, just as I do Let's Encrypt, which provides free SSL certs to web sites, mail servers, etc. all over the world. (I'm pretty sure SIGforum is using LE certs.)
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Question: but I suspect the answer is obvious but I want to confirm: to use signals, both parties need to have signals installed, right?
Signal, singular. Yes.
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Thanks for that big graphic ensigmatic. It was very helpful.
You're welcome. Again: Sorry it's so large.
quote:
I’ll stick with iMessage for the time being. Most of my family and many of my friends have it.
iMessage is ok, but, it has always been plagued by wonky behavior. There've been persistent issues with it and SMS/MMS, which is how one texts with non-iThing users.

Here's another one that bit my iThing-using "adopted relatives" in the posterior: They couldn't get their iThings' text messaging to work on WiFi in their cabin up north. Long story short: I figured it out the next time I was up there. I don't know if it's the iThings' network stack or what, but, when you transition between networks (e.g.: between a cell network and a WiFi network, where it's one or the other, with no overlap), iMessage will utterly fail to work until something in the phone or with Apple's iMessage servers figures out your new network location.

SPM has no such problem.
quote:
And my financial guy too – the only one of my contacts with a significant security concern. At least, so far.
If I was passing any sensitive information via text or voice I would use only Signal.

I would also verify the contact: How to Verify a Signal Contact's Identity (Using the Safety Number) and
Signal Private Messenger: How to Verify the Identity of a Contact You're Communicating With
quote:
ETA – Decided to get Signal for my iPhone after all.
Now convince your financial guy to do the same.
quote:
It’s free, and looks like no hassle. And it probably annoys the Feds. Smile
There is a line of thought that goes something like "The more stuff that's encrypted on the 'net, the harder it is for snoops to snoop any of it, so encrypt everything, whether it needs it or not." Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bytes, were good. Smile

Thanks Vtail and Mark123, got it.

Rey HRH's question was also one I had.

Yes thanks E for the info. I am not sure what "singular" means in reference to the question Rey raised.

Is it possible to text with someone that has Signal and you don't?

If everyone you text with needs to have it installed that seems like a tall ask of friends and family, no?

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19708 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:

This is the first I've heard of it, and will definitely look into it. Most all of my instant messaging to anyone I know has been via direct text from my iPhone, or via Messenger. I've never sent anything that I really felt needed to be kept "Private", so in that vein, do I really need to use Signal? Is there a valid reason to do so under my current usage limits?

Privacy. It's nobody's business when or where you are leaving or on a vacation, purchases, work info, etc. IOW, common topics with your family. Accounts are hacked all the time.

IIRC, Signal only works with Signal as of last year. So, you'll need a second app for those who don't use it.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:There is a line of thought that goes something like "The more stuff that's encrypted on the 'net, the harder it is for snoops to snoop any of it, so encrypt everything, whether it needs it or not." Wink
That’s funny. While there is very little that I do over a communication system that I could care if anyone read or published, my first thought was that even “No Such Agency” has finite resources and if absolutely everybody encrypted absolutely everything it would certainly make it more challenging for any bad actor to get at stuff they shouldn’t. Wouldn’t it be funny if a malfeasant spent thousands of dollars of man hours and compute cycles to decrypt, “Hey, love you Honey! Btw, can you pickup a quart of milk on your way home?”

Posts: 7073 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes thanks E for the info.
You're welcome.
quote:
I am not sure what "singular" means in reference to the question Rey raised.
He twice referred to it as "signals," plural. I was just pointing out it's "Signal," not "Signals." That's all.

May seem nit-picky, except to someone that goes looking for "signals" and can only find "signal" Wink
quote:
Is it possible to text with someone that has Signal and you don't?
No.
quote:
If everyone you text with needs to have it installed that seems like a tall ask of friends and family, no?
Yes, and, to promote use of the product it used to be Signal could be used in place of the regular messaging app on Android devices. It would simply do SMS/MMS when the other end wasn't using Signal.

They removed that functionality just a while ago, for three reasons:
  • They felt it led to decreased security because it may not have always been immediately obvious to users when encrypted SPM was used end-to-end or when un-encrypted SMS/MMS was used.
  • It led to a dichotomy between Android and iThings use, because SPM couldn't be used to replace the stock iMessage app on iThings.
  • They felt SPM had obtained sufficient market penetration that they didn't need to support it as a one-stop, insecure messaging app anymore.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rey HRH's question was also one I had.

Thanks guys.

I suppose it's for people who are thinking ahead and who have a network of friends and families who can imagine situations and circumstances where encrypted messages would be good to have. I suppose your network can, over time, use it as the main tool for communications. But maybe it's better to reserve it for special purpose use, but that requires remembering your login passwords since you won't be using it too often.

I'm just thinking out loud.

I suppose if you're a member of an esoteric fringe group that will likely be targeted in the future like conservative religious white males, it might be nice to have a way to communicate with other members of your group.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same. I’ve got a regular “family chat” thread… but only one side of the family uses it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24581 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
<snip>
But maybe it's better to reserve it for special purpose use, but that requires remembering your login passwords since you won't be using it too often.
<snip>

A good password manager makes that easy. They also have a “Notes” field where you could record date and amount of donations, for example.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post