SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daily wool sock recommendation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daily wool sock recommendation? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I’ve got a couple of pairs or smart wool and darn tough wool socks. I like them but they are expensive and I need enough to wear them daily in a casual setting. I won’t buy darn stupid(tough) socks any longer. Curious if there are some brands that are actual wool thin enough for daily wear and affordable. Whatcha got?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, decided to find an alternative to Darn Tough socks and have been happy with Point 6. I've only had them for a couple of months so I can't speak to their longevity but they are made with 70% wool, which I think is about as high as it gets.

https://point6.com/

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I wear SmartWool medium cushion socks all year. Even in very hot and humid areas.

I’m looking at some Serket socks. https://serketusa.com/product-category/socks/

Tips for wool sock, turn them inside out to wash, dry as low as you can, use WoolWash from Nikwax or similar once or twice a year. Also, sand and smooth the feet and keep the nails trimmed. My socks started lasting longer, I have pretty rough feet.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8337 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LL Bean has 3 weights of daily wear. They have held up well for me. The "hiking socks" are USA made.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4247 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I wear Cablea’s mid weight wool socks all year. In temps from below freezing to 100* and my feet stay comfy in my duty boots for 10+ hour shifts.
Though they are not 100% wool they do a great job as a daily sock that can see any weather.
They are Made in the USA and currently $14.99 a 4 pack. I probably have 20 pair in rotation with the oldest being 5 years old not had to throw a pair out.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/e...-for-men-4-pair-pack

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25336 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People Socks have been durable for me for fall to spring daily wear. They have 71% Merino wool, are made in the USA, and are available on Amazon or from peoplesocks.com peoplesocks.com

Posts: 2357 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Darn Tough for me, weight depends on the weather. Right now I've got medium weight with a foot bed, Merino wool on and wear wool socks only throughout the year. Gave up cotten entirely, wear out way too fast! My feet NEVER stink and are always comfortable and I have worn a pair of these for a week straight before just to see what would happen. Absolutely nothing...they didn't stink and it was like putting on a new pair every morning.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Perhaps you neglected to read the OP... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8766 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can search my post for a link to the exact socks, but I like the medium weight by Red Wing.
Two colors and come with a simple lifetime warranty.

Not all of their socks have a lifetime warranty.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't wear then with my Van's or Chuck's, but my hiking shoes, boots and what-not, I have dumped wool, and gone mostly with alpaca. Same performance in summer and much warmer in winter.

I have Warrior and Norlander, maybe a few other miscellaneous brands.

ARman

Posts: 3140 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
While I had switched to wool, years ago, cotton work OK now, that I put some bleach in with them when they’re washed.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Following as well.

From my searches it seems any socks with more than 20% wool are automatically over $20 a pair.

Posts: 5404 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have a whole drawer full of Darn Tough. Micro crew mid-weight for daily wear, 1/4 crew light weight for summer, and I also have some heavy weight full cushion boot socks for hunting and cold weather. They last forever and I actually will save money in the long run by not having to replace socks so often. That and my feet feel fantastic all day.
If I had to switch brands I also like Farm to Feet. Not quite as good as DT but a close second.

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Point6
Farm-to-Feet
Smartwool
Wigwam
ThorLo

all of the above (and many others) have 'daily-socks' which are not has spendy as a light-hiker or, hiker models.

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I buy Costco wool blend crew socks. Medium weight socks that I wear year round. Cheap and they wear well.

Posts: 4674 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well, you specifically said Smartwool Socks are too expensive, but I continue to buy them because I think I get value for the money. I don’t have an alternative, but I’ll be interested to find one—-providing the cost savings is sufficient to leave a trusted brand.

Posts: 13156 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I buy Costco wool blend crew socks. Medium weight socks that I wear year round. Cheap and they wear well.

^^^^^
This was going to be my suggestion too.

Posts: 12429 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
came here to mention these. I wear these daily year round, have given them to my son in law no complaints at all. I bought a 3rd package this fall knowing anything worth a shit is soon to be discontinued.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’ve not found anything better than the Smartwool medium hiking socks, and I’ve tried.

I wear Darn Tough at work because they are black but they aren’t near as tough as my smartwools. Don’t blame you there.

I’d say buy a pair of the medium hikers every couple of weeks until you’ve got a stash. I’ve accumulated probably 20 pair like that, and even my oldest ones are still wearable.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’m going to try a few out.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post