SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Venus Fly Trap experts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Venus Fly Trap experts? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
We bought a little guy at Trader Joe’s a few weeks back and about a week ago I managed to feed a stunned fly that I had swatted in the air a little over a week ago. Now the trap with the fly remnants is turning all black like it’s dying. Any thoughts?

Posts: 6381 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
There's various reasons why your trap might be turning black. Some will turn black if you overfeed it. Giving it too many insects would be one way. But another way is if the plant is already potted in nutrient-rich soil, it doesn't need the extra nutrients from a prey, and will lose vital energy digesting something it doesn't actually need, and that particular leaf will shut down.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16387 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I would not call myself an expert but I've grown them indoors for maybe 15 years. I have five in the terrarium by the window as I write this, in amongst the pitchers and the sundews. Smile

Traps turn black and get replaced all the time. Make sure the plant gets as much direct sun as possible, and keep it soaking in distilled water, and it'll put out more traps to replace that one fairly quickly.

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Closest I can do is to say I always enjoyed .... WKRP in Cincinnati

Sorry

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Distilled water and do not over feed is the secret.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I don’t use distilled with mine. Just spring water. Always damp or soaking in a mossy mixture. Right now I have 1 trap and 1 pitcher. I rarely feed the trap flies. Just keep it in the kitchen where fruit flies may abound in summer d/t fruit ripening. It’s pretty easy to care for as long as it’s kept damp. You can trim the blackened portions or leave it.
Best of luck! They are fun little plants!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post