SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I have this cheap, LED clock...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I have this cheap, LED clock... Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Should it be making an audible humming sound?
I don't have the best hearing, but this thing is louder than a lot of microwave ovens....

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
All my LED clocks are silent. Is it just a clock or does it also have a radio? At times, I've accidentally managed to turn on the radio and if it's not tuned in to a station and the volume is rather low, it makes noise like you describe.

Posts: 7385 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
All my LED clocks are silent. Is it just a clock or does it also have a radio? At times, I've accidentally managed to turn on the radio and if it's not tuned in to a station and the volume is rather low, it makes noise like you describe.

Just clock/alarm.
Maybe it's a Decepticon.....

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Humming? Try putting it an a talk radio station. Perhaps it forgot the words to the music.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it in a briefcase? Did you get it from some kid named Ahmed? Big Grin

Posts: 487 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
might be the transformer in the power supply

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a radio/clock combo from circa 1979....

still use it for the alarm...

occasionally it hums loudly

I smack it on the top and it quits humming for a few months or so...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:

Is this for a school science project? Wink

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RonJon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I have a radio/clock combo from circa 1979....

still use it for the alarm...

occasionally it hums loudly

I smack it on the top and it quits humming for a few months or so...

Replace the largest electrolytic capacitor in the power supply area with the same specs.

Voila! - No more hum! Smile

Posts: 128 | Location: Mn | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I don't have the best hearing, but this thing is louder than a lot of microwave ovens....

Does your microwave go off every morning when it's time to get up? Maybe it's time for new glasses to?

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post