SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sigforum chefs, talk to me about digital recipe apps/programs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum chefs, talk to me about digital recipe apps/programs Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Anyone use one or have a recommendation for one? Having collected recipes over the course of the last 20 years I'd like to consolidate them all into a single collection with access to either print them all in the same format/form and/or view them from an iPad.

Anyone use something like this? I see several apps that all get good reviews, but best as I can tell none of them have desktop access to allow me to more easily import many of the recipes that I have that are nothing more than hand written notes. The tediousness of typing them all in via my iPad doesn't appeal to me. Adding additional recipes one at a time wouldn't be so bad, just that initial upload that I'm trying to ease into.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I started with Pepper Plate, but then they went to a subscription model. Nope, I don't mind buying a reasonably priced app if it does what I need, but I'm not going to pay monthly rent for one.

I'm now using Paprika. $4.99 one-time purchase fee covers both iPad and iPhone versions, I use the iPad at home, and the iPhone at the grocery store for shopping. You don't have to enter by hand, although you can. The app will import a recipe from a website, you can then edit it to fine-tune it.

There is also a desktop version available but I have not shelled out the thirty-five bucks for that, so I can't give you a recommendation on that, one way or the other.

I do find the iPad version handy while cooking. You can check off ingredients as you use them, check off each step of preparation, if the recipe specifies a cooking time for a preparation step you can just click on that a a timer will be set.

Definitely worth the five bucks for the iThing apps, I can't say whether the desktop is worth the thirty-five since I haven't tried it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30701 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Thanks V-Tail.

Do you know if you can print out of the app to say recipe card format?

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Stay with me on this, there is a method to my madness. Do you have a PC running Windows 10? Do you have MS Office on it? If yes to both of those, you can use what I do to store almost everything I want to keep up with, including all my recipes....MicroSoft OneNote. Its free with MS Office, its obviously highly supported, its available on all platforms (IOS, Android, Windows), and once you get your recipes in it, they're saved in the cloud and available to all your devices. Also makes sharing recipes (or anything else) with others incredibly simple. Give it a try. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Stay with me on this, there is a method to my madness. Do you have a PC running Windows 10? Do you have MS Office on it? If yes to both of those, you can use what I do to store almost everything I want to keep up with, including all my recipes....MicroSoft OneNote. Its free with MS Office, its obviously highly supported, its available on all platforms (IOS, Android, Windows), and once you get your recipes in it, they're saved in the cloud and available to all your devices. Also makes sharing recipes (or anything else) with others incredibly simple. Give it a try. Smile

Haha. Hey guys get a load of this guy and his zany ideas over here. Big Grin

Ok seriously though that’s what I’m doing now, but I’m at about 250 or so pages. Trying to scroll through to find things, along with keeping the format the same is getting challenging. That and some of the apps I’ve seen let you upload pics and whatnot in a little more user friendly format.

I also like the categorization and search features that some of the apps support. In the end just trying to find a better more efficient mouse trap.

Complacency sucks…

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

Thanks V-Tail.

Do you know if you can print out of the app to say recipe card format?
There is a print option on the menu. I have never tried it.

There is also an email option so if “print” doesn’t do the job I suppose you could mail a recipe to yourself and then print or move it into a word processor.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30701 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ok seriously though that’s what I’m doing now, but I’m at about 250 or so pages. Trying to scroll through to find things, along with keeping the format the same is getting challenging. That and some of the apps I’ve seen let you upload pics and whatnot in a little more user friendly format.

I also like the categorization and search features that some of the apps support. In the end just trying to find a better more efficient mouse trap.
Just a suggestion, had you mentioned what you were doing now, you could have avoided having to read my post at all. I was trying to offer you a free, capable, multi-platform solution that you likely already had access to, based solely off the limited info in your initial post.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just a suggestion, had you mentioned what you were doing now, you could have avoided having to read my post at all. I was trying to offer you a free, capable, multi-platform solution that you likely already had access to, based solely off the limited info in your initial post.

Oh no, I appreciate that. Obviously great minds think alike as that’s how I’ve been operating up till now. Just looking to try to better organize the whole mess.

Complacency sucks…

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
As V-Tail said - Paprika, Someone recommended it here 3 or 4 years ago and we have used it ever since. You can install a Chrome add in on your browser toolbar and when you see a recipe on a webpage just hit the button and it downloads and formats it for Paprika automatically. I use that feature extensively. Great to hit it on my PC and then I can go to the kitchen and pull it up on my iPhone or iPad immediately - syncs across all platforms.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If you have Pages, which I think you would, there is a pretty good template for recipes.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Paprika. Seriously, it's fantastic. It's my favorite app I've ever used for any reason. It has a built in browser. Open the link in that browser, hit the download button, and it grabs the recipe without you having to read the bloggers entire life story to actually find the recipe. It's never not worked for me, but if it doesn't for some reason you can manually enter recipes as well. It's a free download, so you can try it and see if you like it with no risk whatsoever. If you do like it (you will) it's $4.99 for the full version which allows you to keep unlimited recipes, sync them to the cloud and other devices, print them out in an easy to read format, and easily search, sort, and categorize them. The app also has a number of other very well thought out and executed features that make your cooking life easier.

SigForum has cost me plenty of money over the years, but the money for the full version of this app was very well spent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Perception,

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post