SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woodworking projects: Show and tell
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodworking projects: Show and tell Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Lots of nice stuff here; but I must admit to a weakness for i.e. addiction to Windsor chairs.
Those are beautiful, Sig Marine!
For now I can still contemplate larger pieces of furniture; but it is absolutely wonderful to hear that my bad back may not mean the end of woodworking if it gets worse.
Did you by any chance take one of Michael Dunbar’s classes?
That’s how I would start if I were going to do it.

The thing is, though, we already have a dining room full of beautiful Windsor chair replicas by D.R. Dimes. They are no longer in business, but they are still in great shape—albeit showing normal wear—after 30 years.

I would love to make a Windsor settee, continuous arm style.

Of all my (purchased) chairs, however, by far my favorite is a rocking chair in madrone made by Robert Erickson in Nevada City, CA. We fell in love with the chair—also about 1990 or so—in Mendocino at a woodworking gallery, but didn’t buy it. In my continuing quest called À la recherche du temps perdu, when we moved in to our home in San Diego I looked him up, talked to Mr. Erickson, and found he had a chair my size in madrone, which I love; and it only cost twice what I would have paid in 1990.

There’s no imaginable future in which I could produce something like this:

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Man, I haven't done anything lately. Last time I made something was about 2 years ago.

People on this forum have a lot of talent. No doubt about it.

I have wanted to start buying old wood working machines and refurbish them. Like jointers and drill presses. They are so much better than the new stuff out. At least sold by the local hardware stores. I just dont have the room otherwise I would.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3873 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I started carving little people about a month ago. There are tons of YouTube videos on this. I especially like Doug Linker and most of these are his creations.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently discovered that my Browning shotgun fits me better than my Beretta's. So what's a fellow to do? I could just shoot the Browning but have two Beretta 686 shotguns, one in 12 gauge and one in 20 gauge. In addition the 12 Gauge was a reward to myself for surviving open heart surgery. The 12 gauge was an easy fix, I picked up an Adjustable Comb stock out of a company who bought up some unwanted spares at Beretta. The 20 gauge was a bit of a problem because very very few actually spend the money to an adjustable stock on a 20 gauge shotgun.

Thus my Woodworking Project. Started out by purchasing a "belemished" spare for a very high end Beretta 687 EELL. Got it for a bargain price of 238.95. BTW the Blem was a pretty darned minor dimple in the grip area.

Stated out with a stock that was Inletted for a Sideplate action. So step one was to fill in the Inletting. Used some 1/8 inch thick English Walnut for that.

Next issue was this was a Field Stock, which means it has a giant cavity to make the stock lighter. A cavity so large that there would be no support wood for an Adjustable Comb Kit. Took care of that with some more English Walnut and hand fitting a chunk to fit the cavity in the stock. Once it was fitted nicely I then painted it with Epoxy and tapped it home in the stock. Note the bore for the stock bolt was dropped a bit to provide some extra support for the Comb Kit.

Next there was the matter of covering up the seam left by the fillers for the inletting. For that I purchased some Walnut Burl Veneer. This provides a very pretty accent without my having to try and find a veneer that truly matched the stock.

The final stage was to cut out the top of the comb for the Comb Kit and mill the inletting for the Comb Kit in both pieces. BTW, used a Bridgeport Mill for this job. Fixturing was rather improvised but it did work pretty well. I regret not thinking to take pictures during this stage but I was focused on getting the inletting as perfectly placed as I could. Then I finished the stock with Tru-oil, one tiny little drop at a time. Took about 30-40 coats to get it looking good but I am quite pleased with the final result. BTW, the burl wood took an amazing volume of that Tru-Oil, there I probably have something around 60-70 coats.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5664 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Currently finishing up a TV cabinet that’s to be painted & antiqued.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work from all. My only talent with wood is chopping it and burning it in the fireplace. Roll Eyes

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Very nice and simple design! Please post up pics when its finished.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've long been wanting to build some sort of "gunning box," modeled after some I've seen for sale or vintage boxes. So I made my first pass this last week at a simplified cleaning station for Christmas for my brother in law. In the future I'd like to expand on this with possible additions of a top, a drawer, and maybe even hinging gun rests. These rests just drop in and can then be taken out and laid flat in the box.

Wood is cherry 1x6 with a rough-sawn end that I decided to leave rough. This was my first use of a dado stack for the fingers. It took a lot of sanding to get the finger joints smooth as I was a little squirrelly with my homemade jig but I'm very happy with the final result. The padding on the gun rests is foam from a sliding furniture disk, plus the red felt accent will match the red butt of a Ruger rifle nicely. Minwax stains are special walnut on the body and fruit wood on the gun rests for an accent.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some photos of a sailboat I built. I did most of the interior, but not all of it. Learned a lot about woodwork on that project.

The outside of the boat:

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Very nice and simple design! Please post up pics when its finished.

All done & in place.
A simple cabinet for our simple decor.
I think we may spend too much time around the Amish. Wink
I wanted to do this out of Hickory to match the liquor cabinet I made but I made the mistake of asking my wife what she’d like.
She chose to have it painted. So Pine & Paint it is.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post

Before and after of the rough cut oak I’m salvaging from a barn I tore down. Got that cheap Craftsman planer for $69 and decided to give it a good test. Good results IMO.

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post