SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone seen “setup your new iPhone” pop up on the screen randomly?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone seen “setup your new iPhone” pop up on the screen randomly? Login/Join 
TANSTAAFL
posted
My company uses iPhones as the device for field service folks. At lunch I’m at a hospital with a coworker and his phone acted weird. He was typing an email and It reset itself and it came up as a blank new iPhone. He has to recover his iPhone once he gets home now. If he has a backup.

At roughly the same time other 2 iphones at the table showed “setup your new iPhone”and “use appleid Xxx@xxx.com (each individual’s appleid) to setup your new iphone” with a continue button taking up the lower third or so of the screen. on the screen. Had I not caught what popped up while I was typing on the on screen keyboard on one of them I’d have hit the continue button before I could stop. I think that’s what happened to my coworker. Later in the day it popped up on my phone and a couple others in the dept we were working in. I’ve never heard of this before. And the hones were all different iterations. A 6s, a 7 and an X.
Anyone else seen something like this?

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Never. I’ve only had to login with my appleid after a major update. They make it a bit hard to fully reset one accidentally. I wonder if they forcefully changed the operating system to their own hacked version.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely aware of the setup feature, but have never had it pop up spontaneously on an old phone.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Could you be more specific in your title please.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
Changed, sorry Arc.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Helium Leak? The symptoms aren't exactly what I'd expect, but who knows with these things.

Given that it's multiple devices and in a hospital, that's where my money is.

https://www.extremetech.com/mo...y-allergic-to-helium

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D0YLW6v5hrA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posts: 11398 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you don’t have apple pay set up on your phone, it will randomly ask you if you want to complete set up on your phone. It’s not some kind of trick, they just want you using their app to do your purchasing.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Are these iPhones company managed? Maybe your system administrator had an oops moment.

The MDM software we install on our company issued iPads allowss me to remotely access them and control certain functions including resetting them to factory setup. Apple's activation lock feature would then require the device be set up under the previous AppleID.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure about the phone that got reset. But I had both of the others. Both have Apple Pay setup. The at&t one is company managed, the Verizon one is my personal phone. Yet both showed the same message with the exception of applied. The appleid was correct for the phones they were on. And when it happened later in the day and I mentioned it, it also happened to two of the nurses and one of the nurses said the same had happened to her in the cafeteria during lunch.

TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I didn’t think about the helium leak. I vaguely remember a medical journal meantioning that iPhones respond badly to MR machines quenching or ramping down.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buddy357:
I’m not sure about the phone that got reset. But I had both of the others. Both have Apple Pay setup. The at&t one is company managed, the Verizon one is my personal phone. Yet both showed the same message with the exception of applied. The appleid was correct for the phones they were on. And when it happened later in the day and I mentioned it, it also happened to two of the nurses and one of the nurses said the same had happened to her in the cafeteria during lunch.

That does sound like a Helium leak affecting the phones.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post