SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Color shift at distance?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Color shift at distance? Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
Anyone here ever heard of it? I live maybe 1/2 mile away from a bridge. In the center there are 2 (I don't know why) green navigation lights in the center of the bridge. Sitting here in my recliner, both look green. But with binoculars, one is clearly green and the other looks more blue. Anyone got a clue?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Close your eye with the green light. When the color shifted light is back in view (Wink), what color is it?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Does either light smell like burnt toast?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43909 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That should happen only when your space ship nears the speed of light.

All I can say is, a recliner in your space craft sounds like a damn good idea. You want to be comfy when you're haulin' ass between solar systems.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am guessing weather, temperature, and atmospheric conditions can affect the colors one may see when viewing from a distance. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3070 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A color shift has been known to happen when switching from an incandescent to LED bulb.

The color shift is caused by the difference in the bulb color.

Sounds like the incandescent bulb is more yellow than the blue white led bulb.

Just a guess but possible explanation.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Einstein's Rule Number 1: When going faster than the impossible speed of light, how can we be guilty of things in the past which were not illegal anywhere before we arrived here?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Not an optics expert, but I'm wondering if the color difference is due to "chromatic aberration". It's caused by different colors having different focal lengths, and something that increases with magnification.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16369 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen a similar effect. Mercury vapor street lights that appear green-ish in the distance, but changing to blue-ish as I draw nearer. (Or vice versa – don’t remember for sure.) I attributed it to atmospheric color filtering.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’ve seen a similar effect. Mercury vapor street lights that appear green-ish in the distance, but changing to blue-ish as I draw nearer. (Or vice versa – don’t remember for sure.) I attributed it to atmospheric color filtering.

With MH and HPS lamps they change colors as they warm up usually blue or green then white/yellow once warm depending on bulb type and characteristics. They also change color with age, and when lamps/ballasts start to fail but haven't completely died.

If not for the binoculars I would say it's due to mercury vapor lamps.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Maybe not related to what you're talking about, but being "colorblind"it happens to me frequently, and at nowhere near the distances you're talking about.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You sure it’s blue?

If Nav lights they should be red and green

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
I know exactly why you're seeing that.

You've been into that case of Buffalo Springfield (or whatever it's called ) whiskey you got stashed!

Dick stay out of that or you'll be trying to sharpen that set of Randall steak knives next!

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
You sure it’s blue?

If Nav lights they should be red and green

This^^^

"Red Right Returning - Red and Green stay in between"
(Oh, that was a loooonnnnggg night on a boat with a drunk chick. Roll Eyes)
Unless you're at an angle and catching the light from the side of the filter, or the filter came off/glass broken.

If it's blueish, it's probably an LED light, some of those have a blueish tint.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
My first thought was chromatic aberration from the lenses in the binoculars. Just my opinion...

Posts: 4594 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Wind speed, please? Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12127 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Last time I squinted and asked a question about color of a distant object, my smartass son told me to quit clenching so hard as it affects the blood flow to my head. And to just go ahead and pass gas and pray that it was limited to just that. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
It’s th3 Doppler effect. On the Coriolis force. Maybe a Bose-Einstein condensate.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I was out on patrol several years ago and saw flashing red and blues a couple miles up the road. Raced there to back up the LEO and never found them. Was a shift like you are talking about. Blew my mind at the time. I still see the same flashing some nights in the same spot. It's very weird.

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
You have been playing that Psychedelic music again aren’t you Bob……. Wink

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post