SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Davis–Monthan AFB – aircraft boneyard. Article with impressive photos.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Davis–Monthan AFB – aircraft boneyard. Article with impressive photos. Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Haunting aerial photographs from Arizona's aircraft boneyard show thousands of defunct airplanes laid out in meticulous rows in what may be their final resting place along the desert floor…”

Daily Mail article
https://mol.im/a/10833231

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Ah Tucson! My home state. Always loved driving by the boneyard and seeing the planes. My brother just got hired to work at the boneyard and I'm kind of expecting some kind of up close and personal tour somewhere down the road...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. I've seen this from the air but wasn't aware I could tour it for a nominal price. Another thing for the old bucket list.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I was there a few years ago. There is a bus tour that goes thru the boneyard, I recommend it.

Across the street is the PIMA Air and Space Museum, I highly recommend visiting that too, I spent 2 days there and would go back in a heartbeat.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a former SAC member, I hate seeing the dismantled B-52s.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've driven by the Boneyard several times but never went in. I wasn't aware one could visit it.

Technically, Arizona is my home state (I was born at Bartlett Dam) but I've never lived there beyond my first year (family moved on when the dam was finished).

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Word of advice: If you want to tour the location, make your reservations MONTHS in advance!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've viewed the boneyard from outside the gate and if you plan ahead you can arrange a tour through the boneyard with the Pima air and space museum. The Pima Air and Space museum is great also and worth the time and money to checkout if you're in the area. There are all sorts of different aircraft both military and civilian, fixed wing and rotary wing and from different countries. Great way to spend and afternoon if you're a fan of aircraft.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have card access to DMAFB and have been through the boneyard (AMARG) and DLA disposal staging on numerous occasions looking for things

the Boneyard is pretty impressive, the bus tour doesn't stop and you don't see everything, but it gives you a good feel for whats there

recently B1's started arriving for disposal - they're not being preserved for regeneration at some point in the future

Pima Air and Space is a great museum - where else can you walk up and fondle a Blackbird and kick the tires...certainly not at the Smithsonian...

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, the DM AFB Boneyard in Tucson. It's nice to see where our tax monies went many years ago.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
We frequently went to DM on a weekly basis until 2009. We used to watch them chopping up the B52 bones when the Russian photo satellite was overhead. At one time I was astonished at the number of A10 airframes stored there, then the numbers were reduced.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not a man of many wants…but, damn, I would love to have an A-10 in my backyard. I’d rig up a sound system to make the engine and gun sounds…and then just “take out tanks” all day long. Cool

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
That B-36 in the second photo at 7:30 is a rare bird.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
A few years back I spent a week working there pulling out 3 H-60s they had in prez in AMARG. In my spare time I'd roam around just checking out the aircraft.
I even found one of the aircraft I deployed with during Desert Storm.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
The Boneyard is a national treasure. I flew in to DM on a B-25 bomber (out of Phoenix) for a ribbon-cutting ceremony (we named our ops center after Jimmy Doolittle). The second day, we flew out and had to orbit to wait for the right time to over-fly the ceremony. The best part of that whole flight was orbiting over the Boneyard for about 20 minutes. I had was glued to the window the entire time. . .

Pima is a great museum, but the boneyard is really unique.

Weirdest thing I saw in the boneyard was a gondola from a dirigible (WWII era). I assume it was just parked there waiting for it to be allocated to a museum somewhere. They also had some MiG-21s and D-21 drones.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to go there. Thanks for sharing.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I was there in 1981 or 1982 on a Polo Hat Exercise before they disabled the Titan sites.

It is inspiring to see these young people that work 24 hours a day to protect this country. I also flew as an observer on a B-52 out of K.I.Sawyer. The oldest on that crew was 26.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I was there in 1981 or 1982 on a Polo Hat Exercise before they disabled the Titan sites...

Except for 571-7, which is well maintained as a museum.

https://titanmissilemuseum.org/

The tour is not listed now, but several years ago I got the five hour top to bottom tour led by none other than volunteer Chuck Penson, who wrote this fine book:

https://titan2handbook.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-I...werful/dp/B004U8PPQ2

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post