SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Security plates for doors, who is using them?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Security plates for doors, who is using them? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. Is anyone using those security plates to prevent doors being kicked in? Also curious on the 3M film to prevent window breakage.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I replaced my striker plates with larger steel ones and 3" screws that go all the way into the door jambs. Required a little chiseling but worth the effort.

Posts: 11366 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had this system from HD installed on an investment property in my hometown. To my knowledge, nobody tried to break-in before I sold the property, but it was hell for stout.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23332 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I installed a couple of 3/16" x 60" steel strips, with holes drilled and shaped for the deadbolts, at right angles to each other on the door jamb. I used heavy duty 3" screws countersunk into the steel strips. It is very sturdy, but you have to remember it is only as sturdy as the structure it is secured to. If you've never looked at what's beneath the plaster on an older masonry house, you might be surprised at what you see. The jambs are fastened to a few horizontal 2x4 pieces set into the masonry. I do wonder how strong the whole thing is. Hope I never find out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: amals,

Posts: 2698 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a reinforcement set on the front door, it's by Armor Concepts on Amazon. Comes with a door jamb shield, brackets for the dead bolt and doorknob, and hinge shields. Install was fairly easy, haven't had any attempts to test it and hope I never do. Personally I felt it was a bit overkill but my wife gets paranoid when I'm gone on trips so it makes her feel better. Costs $89 which is kinda steep, obviously you could just beef up a door for a lot less but it's good quality and well engineered.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I had this system from HD installed on an investment property in my hometown. To my knowledge, nobody tried to break-in before I sold the property, but it was hell for stout.

Installed the same (or similar) years ago at my house after my door was kicked in .... umm .... by me. Frown
Locked out and needed to get ~ I was young and stupid then. Eek

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I have the 3M window film installed at my home. Required professional installation, and was surprisingly slow to install, but properly done the videos that contrast standard windows vs 3M windows are impressive.

I have large front and back porches on my home with big french windows, so they put the film on all of them. My logic was that even if it only buys me another 15-30 seconds of time (assuming I'm home), it'll alert the dog and the owner, and the intruder will have a bad day.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I have the 3M window film installed at my home. Required professional installation, and was surprisingly slow to install, but properly done the videos that contrast standard windows vs 3M windows are impressive.

I have large front and back porches on my home with big french windows, so they put the film on all of them. My logic was that even if it only buys me another 15-30 seconds of time (assuming I'm home), it'll alert the dog and the owner, and the intruder will have a bad day.
Would breaking in still set off glass break sensors? As a pet owner, I have glass break sensors instead of motion sensors due to false alarms. I've been concerned with the 3M security laminate that they would eventually get in without setting off the alarm.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23332 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I installed a lock reinforcement on my front door. It is a single plate that covers both the regular lock knob and the deadbolt. It is secured with around 10 long screws unlike the original short ones. I also changed the deadbolt to a double locking deadbolt since I have a glass plane next to door so they can’t break glass and unlock my door.

I will post pictures when I get a chance to get on my computer; I am on iPad right now.

I am not a fan of glass film UNLESS it is installed properly. To be installed properly the film needs to be installed better than basically like putting tint on a window. This is normally done on business windows and must extend into the framing. If installed like tint, it actually makes it easier to break a window as it will shatter when hit, but stay together because of the film and then they just peel it down and make entry without getting cut and takes no longer than just breaking glass. I have a lot of experience dealing with glass film, but in a commercial environment.

ETA: Pictures

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StorminNormin,

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8674 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Double cylinder deadbolts are often against code. In a fire, they can lock you in when you need to get out.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
I have a reinforcement set on the front door, it's by Armor Concepts on Amazon. Comes with a door jamb shield, brackets for the dead bolt and doorknob, and hinge shields. Install was fairly easy, haven't had any attempts to test it and hope I never do. Personally I felt it was a bit overkill but my wife gets paranoid when I'm gone on trips so it makes her feel better. Costs $89 which is kinda steep, obviously you could just beef up a door for a lot less but it's good quality and well engineered.

Same here. It was easy to install and adds another level of security to our home.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rather than do all of that. Just get a date county approved impact door (with the frame). They’re designed to stop a flying 2x4” and 140 mph winds. The hinges have clips so that even if someone pulled the hinge pins you can’t take the door off of the hinges without it being open first. I paid $600 for a good brand fiberglass 6 panel exterior door, installed.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:

Same here. It was easy to install and adds another level of security to our home.

Added this to my Mom’s place. The door frame honestly needs replaced but this thing certainly beefed it up ALOT.
Kicking it in would certainly take time and make a ton of noise.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25453 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

Would breaking in still set off glass break sensors? As a pet owner, I have glass break sensors instead of motion sensors due to false alarms. I've been concerned with the 3M security laminate that they would eventually get in without setting off the alarm.

I'm not sure about that, but we don't use ours anyhow very often. Unfortunately my family thinks the built in alarm system is something to make pretty lights on the wall panel at night-they rarely use it. Truthfully we do rely more on the family dog and the neighbors than we should.

Seems like I recall something about the pitch of the breakage that sets it off? May be way off base there.

Installation is key on the film. On mine they removed the window framing (not wood french doors) and added the tint, then added some kind of adhesive caulk stuff around the perimeter that was rated for hold, then put the framing back in.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Double cylinder deadbolts are often against code. In a fire, they can lock you in when you need to get out.

If anyone is in the home, the key is in it. I only remove key if we are not home.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8674 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Rather than do all of that. Just get a date county approved impact door (with the frame). They’re designed to stop a flying 2x4” and 140 mph winds. The hinges have clips so that even if someone pulled the hinge pins you can’t take the door off of the hinges without it being open first. I paid $600 for a good brand fiberglass 6 panel exterior door, installed.

Jimmy, Could you Please give me a link to your door supplier? I'm looking for a new door.
Thanks, Jack

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post