SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Isn't it peculiar that some people will have a reversal of their political nature when they get into old age?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Isn't it peculiar that some people will have a reversal of their political nature when they get into old age? Login/Join 
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
sigcrazy, 100%

I am not an environmentalist, but I am a conservationist. We are merely occupying this planet for a few years, generations after us will also come and I want them to experience the same.

Stuff like littering, destroying nature etc isn’t ideal. There’s a balance, hunting species to extinction is horrible, as is banning hunting - somewhere in the middle is ideal, as seen in the US, parts of Africa with trophy animals etc. Same for trash, etc. For example, Everest is a waste dump right now.

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
It's funny, because the left refers to the right as "low-information voters" when, in fact, it is those who swallow the dominant media narratives hook, line, and sinker that are the low-information voters.

This is normal for liberals and it's called psychological projection.

They project what they are onto those who are opposed to them.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My parents always cancelled each other out at the voting booth. Mom always voted democrat and Dad republican. So I was really shocked a few years ago to learn that Dad had voted for Obama, TWICE. Then in 2020 he said he couldn't vote for Trump because "he's kind of a jerk". WTF? I didn't bother to ask whether he voted Biden or abstained. The only thing that makes any sense is that he's been swayed by the Democrats' saying that the Republicans will eviscerate Social Security and Medicare.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
It's funny, because the left refers to the right as "low-information voters" when, in fact, it is those who swallow the dominant media narratives hook, line, and sinker that are the low-information voters.

This is normal for liberals and it's called psychological projection.

They project what they are onto those who are opposed to them.

yes

also -- a steady diet of 'retirement TV news -- ie NBC, ABC, CNN, etc...

brainwashing propaganda basically -- ie COVID DOOM, Capitol Hill ATTACK / INSURRECTION, Russia / Russia, Russia, Orange Man BAD (TDS) etc

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
With the friends that I've seen leaning the wrong way, I think it has to do with guilt.

As they got older, were successful and their income grew they almost seemed to act guilty and thought everyone should have what they have, even if others didn't want to put forth the effort.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I know an older woman, not quite 80, but getting there, who has no activities/entertainment but to listen to the Nutjobs, Pinkos, and Reds all day, every day. She was pretty reasonable at one time in her life, but now? “You don’t even have to guess.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
If you're not a Liberal at 20 you have no heart. If you're not a Conservative at 35 you have no brain. Author unknown.

Churchill

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
He spent his entire life being a part of the system. That definitely has an effect on people.

That's an interesting point, I definitely had not thought of.

Initially, my thought was when people get older and are closer to the end than the beginning, they might lament some of their former right wing opinions as cold or even cruel. "They want to get enough points to get into heaven" an older great uncle of mine once said.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
After being in the military I find it very hard to believe it would turn anyone Liberal.

If you came in liberal you may find yourself in a sweet situation where you get to do minimal effort for average reward. So you may stay liberal thinking the system is working.

However, I would wager it changes the majority to conservative after witnessing this first hand. Especially those that stay in long enough.

Coming in very conservative I find the work ethic appalling.

I have no qualms regarding folks personal beliefs, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, but I'm in the business of getting shit done and business aint booming!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Everyone has a hot button or two. Circumstances can cause a triggering and sway your overall positions.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mom was always somewhere in the middle until
Jimmy Carter came along . For some reason she thought that man was going to save the world . That started a big swing to the left for her . As she got older she spent more and more time watching CNN and all the left leaning talking heads on the various news shows . The TV convinced her that Trump was the devil and nothing could change her mind .So yes , she became more liberal as she got older .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
People change their mind all the time so no.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A couple of other possibilities, could be one or both.

Early sign of dementia.

Didn't plan well for retirement and now realizes he will need state support($$$) in his older years to survive.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by ensigmatic:

I distinctly recall Rush Limbaugh using that phrase repeatedly on his radio show; I’ve never heard someone on the Left use it, but then, they used to monitor Rush’s show hoping he’d say something they could use against him. Some may have stolen it.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't rule out cognitive decline...our brains don't seem to age as well as they once did.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
A couple of other possibilities, could be one or both.

Early sign of dementia.

Didn't plan well for retirement and now realizes he will need state support($$$) in his older years to survive.

Those close have ruled out cognitive decline. He is as sharp as ever.

Retirement wise, He's just fine. He retired from Bell Helicopter and it seems he did very well there. He bought a boat and a new pickup and does a lot of fishing. In the later service years, I know he was still receiving combat/haz.duty pay stemming from Vietnam service into the late seventies.
They always lived a pretty typically frugal lifestyle that I found to be totally common for many military families.

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
If you're not a Liberal at 20 you have no heart. If you're not a Conservative at 35 you have no brain. Author unknown.

I believe attributed to Winston Churchill

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post