SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I take my lieutenant promotional exam today, again.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I take my lieutenant promotional exam today, again. Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I take my lieutenants exam today. I took it back in 2018 and passed the written test but my agency had implemented an oral assessment that was also pass/fail. I did not pass that due to some confusion on my part.

Now, the assessment is still in play but no longer pass/fail. But, I have to pass the written test which is pass/fail. I am one of the senior sergeants in my agency and a 14% pay increase would be nice especially for my retirement. As with anything, there are plusses and minuses. If I do pass and get promoted I will definitely get moved from my current position which is a great schedule and freedom (I have been in this position for eight years). As a lieutenant I am guaranteed a monday through friday schedule but could work any shift depending on where I'm assigned. If I'm assigned to second or third shift I will get another 3% pay differential.

Anyway, I haven't studied, much. I didn't study at all for the last written exam and scored a 78% (I need a score of at least 70% to pass). So, obviously I'm not completely serious going in to it as I know passing could lead to changes that I will not be grateful for. My wife and I discussed it and know that we'll be fine if I retire as a sergeant and knowing that I will be moved to a different position that would be less than ideal. When I was promoted to sergeant back in 2013 I was transferred to court security and was the only supervisor with 16 deputies under my supervision. With that position I also lost my take-home car. So, while I knew that could happen and did, in a way I felt punished.

I say all this to say that either way, pass or fail, it'll be fine. I have approximately seven more years until I retire. At 50 years old I'll 28 years with my agency.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BennerP220,

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Ben.

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. Q, I'm carrying my P228 today for extra good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Good luck, Ben.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing better than taking a test you don’t give a shit if you will pass. Outstanding. Those are my favorite ones. Good luck, maybe. It sounds like staying where you are might be better hence the maybe. Good luck either way.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny, same thing happened to me. I was a union rep and FOP lodge president. I would ace the written test but not pass the oral exam. When I would ask the persons who were promoted about their answers, they were almost exactly the same as my answers.
Strange how that happened. Roll Eyes
Anyway, best of luck with your promotion!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kick ass & Take names!!!!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
You have this. Good luck.

Posts: 18040 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Sarge!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I have a test coming up next month. They gave a reading list of 5 books with over 2000 pages for a 100 question test. I would most likely have a worse schedule if promoted so its more for shit n giggles.

Posts: 5424 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Funny, same thing happened to me. I was a union rep and FOP lodge president. I would ace the written test but not pass the oral exam. When I would ask the persons who were promoted about their answers, they were almost exactly the same as my answers.
Strange how that happened. Roll Eyes
Anyway, best of luck with your promotion!

That’s exactly it, the oral is subject so it allows them to place whoever they want. If you are a male but identify as a something other then you pass the woke test. Big Grin

OP good luck on your endeavors, it’s a good feeling being in a spot not being desperate in the out come.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good luck Sarge. Give it your best and you can feel good about the outcome....sounds like you win either way!

Posts: 8595 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
That’s exactly it, the oral is subject so it allows them to place whoever they want. If you are a male but identify as a something other then you pass the woke test. Big Grin
Hope you enjoy your new life of shoe shopping and beauty parlors! Big Grin

Seriously, sounds like things will work out for you either way, but passing is always more gratifying than failing. Good luck!

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Best of luck on the exam. I take it you have the option of accepting or turning down the promotion too if offered.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you sir ... !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Good luck. Things tend to work out how they're supposed to.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Good luck..you'll pass..but don't forget the Troops in your new position!!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1378 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best of luck with the exam. As for the 228, SIG never made a better handgun. I hope you get what you want.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good Luck to you!

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post