SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Goose attacks Michigan high school golfer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goose attacks Michigan high school golfer Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
Come on dude, you've got a bag full of long sticks with weights on the ends of them.

Link to story

Geese can be some pretty aggressive nasty bastards. Running away just makes them think they've got you on the ropes.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3905 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I read a story about how a golfer was pilloried in the press, and may have even been charged criminally for defending himself against a goose with his club. In many places animals have more rights than people.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
It appears in the bottom photo on the right that the silly goose shits upon the golfer after completing its assault. Nice!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7517 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had to clean off my share of golf carts over the years.....aggressive geese are no match for my driving skills.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bird has more rights than you do. Federally protected and jail if caught abusing them. I once worked as security dude at a health care facility with a big goose population. And a big goose problem. My weapon of choice: A broom. When I went amongst them with my broom, they would work as a coordinated group to get me. They were experts at attacking my 6. They were smart, fearless and aggressive. In summer people would prop open doors for ventilation. I would see geese walking in the hallways! Goose poop is toxic and was often tracked into the building. We needed to get a Federal permit to break the eggs in the nests in an effort to control the population. When I left the job, the battle was ongoing and the geese were winning.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Foie Gras!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That golfer got his ass kicked good by golly.. Big Grin. Turned him right up side down now. I saw a goose follow a customer in the electric door at Dicks Sporting Goods. They coaxed him all through the store and out the back stock room door.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My grandfather had a ferocious rooster that really had my number. He had long spurs, and wasn’t shy about using them.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I got bit on my thumb when at the zoo by a Ostrich. I was giving the devil a cracker through a chain link fence. Hurt really bad. I wanted to grab him by his neck... Big Grin

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
As a freshman at her then brand new high school, a goose chased my daughter around outside during lunch. She whacked it with her lunch tray and then the goose took off.

Seven years later We still laugh about that today.

Thanks for sharing as I sent the link to my daughter to hopefully give her a chuckle during finals week at college.

Posts: 3824 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I climbed up to the top of a 7 foot fence, when I was 9 years old , to get a much better look at a bison that they had at the zoo for a short while.

Dad sat in the truck, he had seen them before.

the bison turned around and looked straight at me , dad said watch out , he might charge.

I got concerned, dad said if he lifts his tail, stay perfectly still.

a minute later , he did just that , I froze .

the very next second , he started pooping Roll Eyes

dads smile was a mile wide

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who once told me a teary-eyed story about being attacked by a rooster when he was five years old. He was trying to not cry and I was trying to not laugh.

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Come on dude, you've got a bag full of long sticks with weights on the ends of them.

It appears that he needs to practice drawing from retention. At least he was trying to get off the X.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5291 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I cold cocked a goose that was in a fairway with my drive once. We thought I killed it but as we approached it the damn thing jumped up and took off. Did the same thing to a squirrel as well with the same result. I guess you have to be tough to live on a golf course. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Well...at least it was just one goose...it coulda been worse...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This time of year they are guarding their nests full of eggs and can be QUITE aggressive.

About two weeks ago I was walking across the parking lot at work and looking down at my phone and almost walked right into one, nearly had a situation like that kid did.

We have them EVERYWHERE at work and are not allowed to touch them.

quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

IIRC, Canada Geese are federally protected and if you injure or kill one purposefully, your ass is in big trouble. Not sure why these giant rats with wings are protected, all they do around here is shit on everything and foul the grass and water and impede traffic.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
years ago when I was playing golf in New Hampshire as part of a league with Texas Instruments, we had a golfer who nailed goose with a line drive tee shot

it was a big deal, Fish and Game got involved...I don't understand why they're protected - all they do is shit all over the place

the golf courses were overrun with them

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a friend who once told me a teary-eyed story about being attacked by a rooster when he was five years old. He was trying to not cry and I was trying to not laugh.

That could have been me. Fortunately my story had a happy ending: my Dad got out his Colt Woodsman and shot Old Red in the head! He knew how to protect his family. I also saw him shoot a rattlesnake into three pieces--with his scoped Remington .30-06. Who said violence never solved anything?

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Some years ago I read a story about how a golfer was pilloried in the press, and may have even been charged criminally for defending himself against a goose with his club. In many places animals have more rights than people.
Beat me to it. These birds are a bit like a protected class, and responding against their bad behavior is highly frowned upon.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago a very big manufacturing company world headquarters used to have several border Collies roaming their manicured grounds and ponds to keep the geese on the move and minimize their staying around and building nests. Used to drive through there with lunch park across the road,cand watch the show. Very entertaining!

Jim

Posts: 1354 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post