SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer internet problem...Update--gave up and took it to a pro
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer internet problem...Update--gave up and took it to a pro Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Aha!
Your gateway is .254
That's good info to have.

If you feel up to it - go through the steps I gave you earlier and put in this for all the slots:

ipv4 address: 192.168.1.250
subnet: 24
gateway: 192.168.1.254
dns: 8.8.8.8

Then click save - and try to:
ping 8.8.8.8
ping google.com
browse internet as normal

Just to avoid confusion, before this I would either unplug the wire, or disable the wireless.
That way we're focusing purely on ONE link and not confusing matters with multiple paths.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1566 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
So, it did not fix the issue, but the results were interesting. And these results may have been the same as before because I was probably connected to both or wasn’t really paying attention because I don’t think the wireless router is the problem.

When I ping the router over the wireless for IPv4, it comes back without a problem. When I ping the Google address, over the wireless, it times out.

When I ping the IPv4 over the ethernet, it comes back quick with no problems. 0ms time. When I ping it to Google, it does come back but the average minimum maximum is 10 ms.

And when I reset back to automatic, and ping 8.8.8.8, it does get a hit over the wireless now. 11 to 12ms though.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Do the same commands to find the internet info you did on the computer that doesn't work on one of your computers that does work. Compare the two and change the info on the computer that doesn't work to the info on one that does. Specifically, the DNS servers info.

I hope that makes sense.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Am I correct in reading the IPCONFIG that both the ethernet and the WiFi are BOTH connected?
If so DISCONNECT the LAN connection. Wifi can get automatically disconnected with both enabled.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Do the same commands to find the internet info you did on the computer that doesn't work on one of your computers that does work. Compare the two and change the info on the computer that doesn't work to the info on one that does. Specifically, the DNS servers info.

I hope that makes sense.

OK, so I went in with the above instructions and put in the information under manual mode with the IPv4 address ending in .115 from the connected computer instead of the .223 on the messed up computer.

On wireless it timed out on google the first time, then took min/11ms Max 290ms with 25% loss the second try.

Pinging the .115 IPv4 was good at 4/4 at 0ms.

On Ethernet, 4/4 @ 10ms for google, 4/4 @ 1-8ms pinging the .115.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Press Windows key +X
Select command (admin) or PowerShell (admin)
Enter the following command netsh int ip reset
Reboot your computer

netsh int ip reset

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8173 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Press Windows key +X
Select command (admin) or PowerShell (admin)
Enter the following command netsh int ip reset
Reboot your computer

netsh int ip reset

So, this is one of the things I tried yesterday. One of the replies in the long list of “OK!”s, is:

“Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.”

-JALLEN

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I meant using ipconfig /all at the command prompt. Specifically looking at the "DNS Servers" line.

This is from the pic you posted for the computer that doesn't work. What does this line say on a computer of yours that is working?

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

So, this is one of the things I tried yesterday. One of the replies in the long list of “OK!”s, is:

“Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.”

You have to run from an administrative prompt

SEARCH >> CMD > {right click ~ run as administrator}

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The first DNS server listed is with an IPv6 address. Both your device and router have to have IPv6 enabled and properly configured for this to work. Note that the relevant RFCs (the "rules of the road" of the Internet) state that IPv6 is to be favored over IP4 when both are available. Available means active on the end device itself, there is no guarantee of general connectivity.

The other address is the IPv4 address of the router itself which is providing a proxy DNS server to devices on the LAN, depending on what DNS server(s) the router is querying (configured via the router's administrative interface, probably the DNS servers of your network provider), this may be useless.

Best, to be sure: manually configure a public DNS service like Google (8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4) or Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and/or 1.1.1.2). Cloudflare promises not to play dirty DNS tricks (e.g. directing traffic to their own sites or monitoring/logging queries for marketing purposes), Google makes no such representations. Note that obtaining a DHCP address assignment may overrule manual DNS server assignment.

Posts: 6794 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I meant using ipconfig /all at the command prompt. Specifically looking at the "DNS Servers" line.

This is from the pic you posted for the computer that doesn't work. What does this line say on a computer of yours that is working?

OK, been working the last four nights straight and just getting back to this.

The DNS servers line is completely the same for both computers.

Also, to the above netsh it ip reset, when I am running that command, I am running it as an administrator. For whatever reason it gives me a whole bunch of okays, but then a Failed and Access is denied for the reset command above.

Unfortunately, being turned off for four nights didn’t magically fix the problem either. Ugh.

I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Wi-Fi adapter driver. Same story

-JALLEN

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe just for testing purposes disable IPV6 by unchecking IPV6 on the adaptor property page.

Also disable the WIFI adapter and plug in the ethernet cable and do your tests.
Then unplug the ethernet, enable WIFI and do the same tests.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the whole thread but my first thought was is your machine/ethernet/wifi set as in a PRIVATE network as opposed to a PUBLIC one.

This is one of the things that W10 changed now and then by itself and drove me nuts.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12273 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Update-
Finally gave up after trying everything listed here and everything I could find online. Took it to a computer shop and paid them to figure it out. They were even stumped, but after some work were able to fix it. They said it was something with the computer not communicating with the modem (it would connect enough to say, ping Google, but after that would not re-sync).

Thank you everyone for your help. First time I had to give up and punt on a computer problem!

-JALLEN

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Don’t leave us hanging. What was the fix? Replace hw? Update sw? Change settings?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Don’t leave us hanging. What was the fix? Replace hw? Update sw? Change settings?

My post right above is the closest I have to a good explanation. Basically he nuked all the network settings, which I swear I’ve done 10 times, and deleted all the VPN settings we had put in from working from home.

I think he tried a whole lot of other stuff too, he said it was a difficult fix. He called yesterday morning asking for permission to completely redo the computer, but was able to fix it without doing that. He’d had it since Thursday.

-JALLEN

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Good deal. Glad the problem is solved.

Computers have become so much more complicated since my Apple IIe that I sometimes wonder if they're really worth the time I spend trying to fix them.