SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battery powered hedge trimmers ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery powered hedge trimmers ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I have a nice Echo brand two cycle hedge trimmers. Not many hours at all really, but the fuel system went bad, and I'm seeing battery powered hedge trimmers on the net. My guess is that they are not as good as my gas powered shears, but who knows, battery powered hand tools are my current favorite type if I need a portable power tool. My thinking is buying battery shears would be much cheaper than repairing my gas echo.

So what say you ? Are these batter powered hedge trimmers up to par ? At least for minimal home owner use ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8917 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't cost that much to change the fuel system components on the Echo. If you only have a small amount of hedges either buy the pre-mixed fuel in the can or buy an electric hedge trimmer.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've got a Black and Decker Hedgehog that I've had for about thirteen years. The battery is still good and I have not been that careful about recharging it after use......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
I have a Makita 18V. I bought it without the battery because I have several Makita 18V tools.
I believe it cost just over $100.00 , Works well.

Posts: 435 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I ditched my electric ones years back and went the 18 volt Ryobi,could not be happier.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd try the 20 volt DeWalt. I've been impressed with their 20 volt tool line. Thinking about buying their 20 volt string trimmer.

http://www.northerntool.com/sh...NkzCMmQn4aArN78P8HAQ

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I love the 40 volt Ryobi tools! I have a mower,hedge trimmer a chainsaw and a weed eater! The things kick ass and really cut stuff. The mower will last about 30 minutes on a charge in moderate grass and is light to push.

Posts: 2913 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not exactly your question, but related: I just bought the 58 V Echo Line Trimmer and I think a hedge trimmer attachment is available as an add-on.

I bought it specifically because I was sick and tired of my last two Black & Deckers (corded electric), which were toy pieces of crap (I know...I'm a moron)

Anyway, the 58V Echo has way more power and I trimmed & edged my whole lawn with it without depeting the battery. Took about 1.5 hrs total.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I ditched my electric ones years back and went the 18 volt Ryobi,could not be happier.

Me too. Light and environmental friendly.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1437 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:

Me too. Light and environmental friendly.

I wouldn't exactly say they're environmental friendly. The batteries and electricity to charge them come from somewhere.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Cannot recall the name brand and power-level of my battery-powered trimmer, but I've had a moderately-priced Home Depot offering for a couple of years now with no complaints. General household shrub-trimming chores are all I use it for, and it's gotten the job done nicely.

I'll check for the brand and specs a bit later.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6733 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Timely thread for me. I busted the handle off of my cheap Black & Decker corded trimmer and can't find the replacement part. It was a low powered piece of junk anyway. Looking for a higher powered battery operated replacement.

The 40V Ryobi system has my interest. Anybody been able to compare it to the 56V Echo or EGO?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaaron11,

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5291 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dad lost his glasses in thick brush hunting morels, and we went back to look for them and he took his li-powered hedge trimmers to clear briars, hawthorne, rose and other wild branches from his path.

We must have used it for over an 1/8 mile through thick, thorny, hedge like brush, and it cut up to 1/2 inch thick dead limbs and canes with ease. Only used up 1/8 of the charge, I was impressed, but he did say it was as heavy as a chain saw after a while, and taking a turn I almost agree. He also brought a spare battery that we never used, and we did find his glasses. I'll try to find out what brand for certain, but I think it was Ryobi.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm a Ryobi fanboy and have, I think 7 of their cordless tools, but I don't have their hedge trimmer. Very good tools at a reasonable price. I highly recommend looking at the brand.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
I just got the Husqvarna battery powered hedge trimmer and blower and have been super impressed with both. I didn't want to hassle with the maintenance of gas powered and didn't want to drag a cord around for the electric one.

I trimmed all my shrubs and was really surprised with how powerful it was. I use the blower all the time - a lot more than I thought I would.

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post