SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone use U.V. lights in their kitchen or bathroom ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone use U.V. lights in their kitchen or bathroom ? Login/Join 
posted
If so what are you happy with and what is disappointing?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54703 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
like for killing germs?

Make it count

Posts: 1415 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
No, its so you can see your fluorescent body paint designs before going to your adults only Halloween parties.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one on an old Santana poster.
Abraxas?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I have one on an old Santana poster.
Abraxas?

I can hear the colors.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Restaurants use them to abate germy stuff,
Hospitals use them for the same reason.

They sell them for tooth brushes, cell phones, refrigerators, toilets.

Posts: 54703 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a couple air filters with small UV lights in them to hopefully kill some germs/mold in the air. We have them in the living room and family room.

I also have a UV lamp I've used to kill mold on a surface, but it's pretty nasty. It puts off ozone, and you shouldn't be in the same room with it when the light is on because the light could damage your eyes.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot about the HVAC usage

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
UV causes cataracts. Any use should ensure it does not reflect or shine directly in your eyes.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No .

Posts: 4069 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to hang out at a dance club in the Chicago suburbs that had ALL UV lighting. You had trouble telling what the girls looked like until you went outside. Had a cool name, The Blue Village. The club even had IDs so they could exclude certain people.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
During COVID, my kids’ school bought a handheld UV light to disinfect the keyboards in the computer lab. The papers that came with it said 30 seconds of exposure to sterilize most bacteria, but 5 minutes to inactivate viruses. The math didn’t work out well with 24 keyboards and mice especially considering when the light only covered 1/3 of a keyboard when held at the prescribed distance. When I pointed this out, they went back to Lysol spray and Clorox wipes.

Posts: 11016 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Installed one in the HVAC air handler this summer when we put in the mega sized filter to replace the factory filter from Carrier.

Dunno if it's doing a lot but it has a small indicator at the end of the tube that is in the AC handler door and it has a cool blue hue.

Since we are in Humidistan FL figured it wouldn't hurt to have extra help keeping the AC degerminated...

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I replaced the ventilation fan in our master bathroom during a recent renovation. I opted for a model with selectable UV/white modes of operation. Supposedly, the UV light will inhibit mildew and bacteria growth. I can’t really tell if it’s doing anything at all. It does serve as a great night light, and we’ve discovered Irish Spring soap glows incredibly bright under UV!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:
I replaced the ventilation fan in our master bathroom during a recent renovation. I opted for a model with selectable UV/white modes of operation. Supposedly, the UV light will inhibit mildew and bacteria growth. I can’t really tell if it’s doing anything at all. It does serve as a great night light, and we’ve discovered Irish Spring soap glows incredibly bright under UV!

That's all the ground up Leprechauns in the soap!!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:

That's all the ground up Leprechauns in the soap!!

We use black light for crime scenes. It works well for that.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
When traveling a proper wavelength UV flashlight can be helpful in determining if a motel room is clean or not.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
When traveling a proper wavelength UV flashlight can be helpful in determining if a motel room is clean or not.

I use one for that very purpose.

My master bathroom fan automatically switches to UV after some time. I forget the reason.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19707 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While living in AZ,
I used one often to find scorpions,
Near the house.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,