SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ring video doorbell discount
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ring video doorbell discount Login/Join 
posted
I love my Ring and just got an email from them to save $50 on a Ring doorbell or their cameras. Use coupon code "3ringsofsecurity" Wishing all the best in this New Year!! Good till the end of the month.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
3ringsofsecurity

Thanks just ordered the Ring 2 battery run version and saved $50

Posts: 23593 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm getting less and less happy with my Ring Pro doorbell.

Mine is hard wired, with plenty of voltage from a 30 amp transformer.

I've got 150mbps internet, with fast wi-fi.

4 out of 5 times, the doorbell doesn't deliver the notification that someone has rung the doorbell, or, when I answer the doorbell, all I get is a loading screen and it never lets me answer the door.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
3ringsofsecurity

Thanks just ordered the Ring 2 battery run version and saved $50

If I ever were to have to replace my regular Ring doorbell, it would be the Ring 2. Just for the ease of having to remove and recharge a battery instead of the whole doorbell itself. Just a minor thing actually as with the normal daily traffic I only need to recharge it as is now every two months or so. Other than that I've had it now for 1-1/2yrs and it works perfectly as described. Plus, driving my cat bonkers playing with the Ring Chime in the kitchen when I set it to the alert with dogs that bark Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

4 out of 5 times, the doorbell doesn't deliver the notification that someone has rung the doorbell, or, when I answer the doorbell, all I get is a loading screen and it never lets me answer the door.

I have fiber to the home, 1 Gbps up/down with Linksys WRT1900AC router and Ring Pro. There's some delay between doorbell ring or motion and when I get notification on my phone. Then another few seconds before the live feed loads. I am thinking it's the Ring servers that are not up to snuff..

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well a little delay is better than no image, I have a friend with one he got for christmas, he says it picks people up well before they ring the bell and he gets a notification of motion first.

Since my office is in the back of the house I need some kind of video from the front, thought about going with the Ring Camera vs the doorbell, we'll see how this does.

Posts: 23593 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As my doorbell button got screwed up yesterday and apparently fried out my doorbell chimes, this was perfect timing. Ordered the Ring. Thanks for posting the discount code!

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well a little over 30 days with the Ring and some observations.

1) it's not very consistent, we'll get multiple false motion alerts (yes we've changed the sensitivity and distance settings)

2) it won't pick up motion of actual objects such as delivery people approaching the house, it always picks them up as they are leaving, (odd since it picks up gnat fart contrails constantly , see item 1)

3) Delivery of video is delayed, I can get a notice of motion or ring, and press the view in the app and in the time it takes to bring up the video on the phone I can be at the front door in person. My dog alerts me before the Ring notices someone coming up the drive/walk.

4) Live video is spotty, works sometimes however it fails most of the time.

Spent a couple of hours over a couple of days with the Ring staff, they are on the phone quickly, speak english and really try to fix the problem.

Two nights ago I"m in the garage looking out at the area the ring covers, nothing is going on, no wind, no flying bats, no hopping rabbits, no skulking potential robbers, and bam, bam bam, 3 false motion detection occurances in 3 minute intervals, nothing is there.

So after those false alerts I walk up the drive to the short sidewalk, all the way up to the Ring, nothing, no motion detected, turn to walk away and bing! Motion detected.

Apparently my Ring is a ass man, never gets frontal views, except for views of nothing.

Spent two days with Ring on the phone trying new settings, different mounting angles, its the same ol same, nothings consistent.

Ring checked Network packets and confirmed there isn't a network issue nothing delaying notices from Ring to the network.

So they are sending a new unit for me to try Ill try to remember to report back after the new unit is installed.

Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Which version do you have. I had issues with my standard ring doorbell as far as motion (false alerts, not picking up delivery people, etc.). I upgraded to the pro when they offered it to me for $100 and it’s been way, way better for me. False alerts are almost non-existent and it picks people up perfectly so far. Not to mention the video quality is leagues better.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ring 2, we need the battery since our doorbell is integrated in an intercom system.

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Have the Ring doorbell and love it and just recently installed one of their security cameras.

When I first got the Ring doorbell, it would not work. Their Tech. came out and thru hours of calls with Ring Tech and my cable carrier, they learned my security settings on my Router was 'to high' thus not recognizing and allowing Ring to push thru.

Since I had a several year old Router, I got a new and improved Router and this solved the problem and my security settings were not diluted. I am NOT a Tech wiz so I can't explain it much more than this! Something to think about if your having Ring issues.

Alerts seem to be pretty instant to my phone, but sometimes videos are slow to load.

Hope this info is worthwhile to maybe solve issues people may have.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1383 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
HRK, hope you get your situation figured out. I bought and installed (hardwired into electrical doorbell wiring) my Ring unit two or three weeks ago, and it's been a flawless performer since day one...no false alerts, great video imaging, live video w/ voice communication works well, etc. If I had any complaint, it's that accessing the videos from the cloud takes a few minutes after receiving the alert, so is not instantaneous, but I can certainly live with that small issue.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hopefully we will see improvement, it's been hit or miss, mostly miss though Big Grin

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have the Ring Video Doorbell 2. Much like a previous poster, I wanted a removable battery pack, as opposed to the original model with which you need to remove the whole doorbell unit, to charge the battery.

Unfortunately, only about 40% of motion events or ring events give me actual video. The other 60% give me forty seconds of black screen.

Ring support has been absolutely useless. No progress, whatsoever, in solving the problem.

They are blaming it on my router (Apple), claiming inadequate throughput. Nah, all of the Ring documentation states that 2 Mb up and down is required. My Time-Warner / BrightHouse / Spectrum (or whatever they're calling themselves this week) service has more than 25 Mb down, 3.4 Mb up, and the router does not slow anything down.

I'm at the point where I might just want to send the thing back for a refund.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30741 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do any of you use a Samsung SmartThings hub with your ring? Is the result better than using WIFI? I know at least one, maybe both, show as being compatible. The rest of my Z Wave units have been working very well so just curious.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2897 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My original Ring doorbell gives me about 50-60 false alerts a day. Every car that drives by sets it off even though sensitivity is set to minimum on the one zone I have active. They said it was because the doorbell sensor was picking up the hot engine blocks, the problem with that is it doesn't happen at night when the heat from the engine would be more visible. Ring sent me a wedge kit that puts it at an angle to see if that would help, it doesn't.

I'm hoping now that Google has bought Ring they'll be making some upgrades in future models until then I'll continue to live with the false alerts. For $30 a year it not expensive and still better than a dumb doorbell.

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Get in touch with customer service. Ask for Andrew Pohlen.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post