SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weight of Ground Beef at the supermarket (?)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weight of Ground Beef at the supermarket (?) Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
If it was slightly over would you have posted ? Smile

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:

That is either the largest potato I have ever seen or the tiniest pit I have ever seen.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
If it was slightly over would you have posted ? Smile

Nope. That would have meant their scale/label was more accurate and trustworthy Right? LMAO. LOVE stupid questions though.

The "potato" is a Jolly Egg. Best toy EVER. The yellow one was purchased in 2013. They are nothing, if not durable. Some dogs have been known to destroy them first day though believe it or not. All depends on the dog and style of play. And some dogs aren't interested in them at all ... http://www.jollypets.com/products/jolly-egg/

Egg thieves? ... nope, not on Sugar's watch. not having it

... get a rope ...

Wait. Where did the leaves even go?

Posts: 4830 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
did you by chance go to the butcher and ask if he would weight it for you?

just asking,

spent 35 yrs in the grocery business, 19 as a meat guy,

got an issue, ask, start with the butcher\meat manager,
not satisfied with his answer, ask the store manager,

then call Weights and Measures, they will eventually send someone by to do a check on the scale, (if Al is like Va, it will have a sticker on it to certify it is accurate)
the W&M person will do a check on about 10 different items, weighing usually 5 or more packages of the same item,
not every item will pass, guaranteed to have one short or over

some things that could have happened,

> your package may have the wrong tag on it,
> meat wrapper set the wrong tare, like maybe for a small tray (less tare) or forgot to change the tare when the package size changed
> Scale may be off, unlevel, out of adjustment, dirty, just depends, as in mechanical problem not on purpose,
> meat guy could be a crook, been known to happen, but typically if they resort to scale shenanigans, they are also doing other shady stuff that will get them caught,

each tray size has its own tare weight, and they should be adding a point or 3 for the wrap, and stickers, if they apply any,
we would wrap one each size tray for the W&M guy so he could see what tare should have been applied,
also, a point would be added sometimes too, for shrinkage, as in moisture loss, it is a thing even with plastic wrapped meat,,

so, a #2D tray is about .02 or .03 IIRC, add a point for wrap, and a point for good measure, and a #2D tray should have about a .05 or .06 tare,

been a few years so my weight may be a point or 3 off,

I do remember #23 Family Packs were usually .10 tare

now, all this depends on if that burger is ground on premise,
and how long it was on display,

if it was ground in a central location (most major chains buy it from a supplier, vs grinding their own instore) then it would be good to chat up the meat manager and let him know, incase the supplier is labeling wrong,

and,

again,

be nice, not need to be a dick, retail workers hear enough shit from people that should really stfu instead of speaking,

trust me on this

meanwhile, if a grocery store tried to sell a steak like the one you pictured, folks would be raising hell because of the size of the tail on that ribeye (called a lip in the trade)
folks as in customers, the meat guys would be more than happy to sell it that way
that would be trimmed off, fat tossed, lean ground for beef,

I spend 19 as a meat guy, 12 of that as a meat manager,
a good meat guy prides himself on the quality of his product, and customer service skills, and will know his customers , at least the regulars by name, and if he is a truly skilled cutter, will have folks ask for him by name,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10575 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Thanks for chiming in lyman. GREAT information. I'm not sure how much Piggly Wiggly does on site. Unlike the meat department of stores I grew up around, a lot of supermarkets these days have guys with a white smock out in the aisle putting meat in the cooler from tray racks, but who knows what's going on back there. No windows like there used to be. With several Piggly Wiggly stores in a district, maybe a lot of the cutting/processing and packaging is done elsewhere and distributed. Dunno.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
These guys are right across the lake from us, nice ride on the motorcycle, or truck depending on what you need, home made sausages, bacon, steaks, chicken, gator etc...

https://www.facebook.com/HopkinsMeatPacking/

I can't see it. Stupid Facebook wants me to log in and that's not gonna happen. Where is this place? I might need to take a ride to wherever it is.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post