SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weight of Ground Beef at the supermarket (?)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weight of Ground Beef at the supermarket (?) Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
Does the weight include packaging too?

Today I bought a package of ground round that was labeled as 1.00 lbs. I weighed it on my kitchen digital scales and it came up to 438 grams vs 454 grams. In ounce mode on the digital scales it came up to 15 3/8 ounces vs 16 ounces for a pound.

So not only is the weight well under labeling but apparently the styrofoam and wrap was included. It might not seem like much but I've shopped there for 11 years and known of this discrepancy most of those years. It adds up and it isn't fair.

Are supermarket scales state regulated or is there some local entity responsible for accuracy?

Posts: 4830 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I dunno.
Is that the only sample of data you have? Confused

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
It should not include the packaging. That is why there is a tare setting on scales.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Ask them to wrap it in butchers paper next time.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Has your kitchen scale been checked as properly calibrated?

I use my powder/ jeweler scale for most everything. I have a proper set of check weights and it has been verified by an actual scientist/ engineer as 100% accurate to its farthest digit as compared to his lab scale. Mine's accurate to .0001 ounce.

Mine's been used at the USPSA Area match chrono station level, so I needed to make sure it was as good as it claimed to be.

Eta: If you file a complaint with the local or state bureau of weights and measures, they should come out forthwith and check the accuracy of their scales and methods. There should be a sticker affixed to the scale stating it has been certified accurate, but the accuracy means nothing if the tare weight of the packaging has not been accurately entered.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Each state has a department responsible for weights and measures, and the accuracy thereof. Usually they are certified as accurate after which is done periodically. You see these most often (I do, anyway) on gasoline pumps?

I imagine they have a local phone number you can call for further inquiry.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ask them to weigh it for you at the cashier checkout, next time

I have four really really good meat guys at the Fareway, but you have to get the same person every time, get to know them ,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I dunno.
Is that the only sample of data you have? Confused

The only one I have today and cooking right now. I'm SURE there are any number of examples right there in the store. Like I said, I've noticed it before. In fact, the weight has always been under and that even include the packaging.

It's a small Piggly Wiggly in lower Alabama. It's change hands at least twice in the 11 years I've shopped there and it's always been this way.

WHO can I contact to register a complaint or maybe get someone with authority to check it out ?? Under weight by 5/8th ounce on the pound is unacceptable.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It should NOT.

The scales there should have a "Tare" which is the accounting for the weight of the container or tray which you are not charged for.

Posts: 34537 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
ask them to weigh it for you at the cashier checkout, next time

Absolutely EXCELLENT idea.

My digital kitchen scales aren't calibrated but they sure as hell are more accurate than whatever the Piggly Wiggly set up is.

Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
As above, your State Dept. of Weights and Measures.

http://www.agi.alabama.gov/divisions/weights-measures

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
As above, your State Dept. of Weights and Measures.

http://www.agi.alabama.gov/divisions/weights-measures

Thank you !!!

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
This can of Piggly Wiggly Beef Broth is labeled as 411 grams. On my digital kitchen scales ... 445 grams. So yeah, I think the can itself weighing 34 grams isn't unreasonable to guess.

Bottom line is my digital kitchen scales are close but admittedly not calibrated. SOooo ... I could see being off a couple of grams MAYBE if even. BUT not 5/8 ounce on the pound.

I'll have to weigh the empty can when I use it in a few days. It wasn't needed for cooking today.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
As others mentioned the weight should be for the product only.

I worked in grocery industry at a major chain for many years when I was younger and I knew of at least a couple Meat Dept managers who were dishonest and would not use a tare because they have gross margin targets and it would greatly help them no doing the tare. Of course they would blame the "wrapper" when it was caught but enough violations and they could be suspended or fired. I would bring it up with the manager on duty next time and have them check your package for correct weight. The store managers, at least the for the chain stores, should take such matters very seriously and in my experience almost all do. Independent stores could be a different matter as the dishonesty could go all the way up the chain.

Posts: 9826 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
t came up to 15 3/8 ounces vs 16 ounces for a pound.
A wild guess here, maybe if it's more than 15 ounces, they are permitted to round up to the next ounce?

Yes, I do understand that 15 3/8 is closer to 15 than to 16, and true rounding would make it 15, but mathematical logic and regulatory logic do not always agree with each other.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31384 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Did you weigh the entire package? Sounds like the "tare" on the scale is either off, or shut off.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
t came up to 15 3/8 ounces vs 16 ounces for a pound.
A wild guess here, maybe if it's more than 15 ounces, they are permitted to round up to the next ounce?

Yes, I do understand that 15 3/8 is closer to 15 than to 16, and true rounding would make it 15, but mathematical logic and regulatory logic do not always agree with each other.

Not in my experience. Weight should be to a hundredth of a pound. They are also required to have reference weights on hand to check scale accuracy frequently and to make sure it shows zero when nothing is on the scale and tare cleared. When they are weighing meats the scale should show tare as negative weight with nothing on scale and zero when just packaging is on scale. In my experience it usually is deliberate when there is no tare and weighing packaged product. Not using a tare could make a supermarket tens of thousands of additional dollars in net profit in a years time.

Posts: 9826 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
It should not include the packaging. That is why there is a tare setting on scales.

This, when I worked at Publix supermarket many decades ago, they zero'd the scale out so the styrofoam wasn't included in the weight.

It's very possible your home scale is not totally accurate OR the juice absorption packet in the bottom soaked up that much weight in blood/juice from the meat since they packed it.

No your scale is right in the picture of the canned broth. The can states Net Weight (which does not include the can, just the contents).

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
are

If you buy bacon wrapped filet mignon they weigh them after the bacon is on so you are paying $20+ a lb for bacon.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Well, if the price keeps going up, perhaps they're started selling it by Troy weight.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post