SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone try the new search engine Perplexity?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone try the new search engine Perplexity? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
https://www.perplexity.ai/

https://thelibertydaily.com/fi...-better-than-google/

It's a PITA to add to Brave but I followed this and was successful:
https://community.brave.com/t/...earch-engines/433442

Haven't tried it much yet but wondering if others have.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16505 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Perplexity regularly for two primary reasons: it provides verifiable sources for query and has significantly less hallucination than Chat GPT or BART. Their phone app is handy as well.

Posts: 517 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: October 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunfan:
Their phone app is handy as well.

Just installed it but it appears that you only get 5 queries per day without a paid subscription. Screw that!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16505 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
And using Perplexity as a search engine required I log in again after several uses. Appears as with the Android version an attempt to limit use without paying a subscription. I am not amused.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I just gave it a question I need some help with for a stupid work related coding bug I have not been able to resolve (using a square peg in a round hole on purpose), and it gave me a clue I was not able to come up with using the gpt chatty kathy thingy and google fu. If it works I will be impressed.

Depending on what it's able to do for certain users, I don't see a problem trading out a little bit of surveillance economy for cash payment for services rendered. I'd gladly trade.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This post question made me think of trying it.

I had an unique inquiry recently. Over a few days, with multiple searches with Google, I was able to piece together bits of info.

So...I tried Perplexity to compare. It found the same info, and more, on the first request. I was impressed.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's pretty interesting.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
For clarity I'm still using it with my desktop Brave broswer. But for my android phone I'm using their site via Samsung Internet.

I agree that the results are more complete than Google, etc. The requirement to every so often re-initialize still bugs the crap out of me though.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I've been using it for several months and have found it much more useful than Google. Instead of giving you (filtered) links to websites that may or may not contain the information I'm looking for it gives me the information itself in narrative form, aggregated from various websites and with citations. It's been very accurate, as far as I can tell.

Posts: 1011 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post