SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Want to Build Me a Computer?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Anyone Want to Build Me a Computer? Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
looking to hire someone here on the forum that is good with hardware/software integration.

would like to make a nice fax Linux based box with a few hardware specifics

any takers?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
fax Linux based box

what might that be ~ a fax machine on Linux?

Any details for your purpose?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
I'll do it. Email in profile.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Report This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You could easily build it yourself. Just post your specific requirements, and I'm sure people will come along with specific recommendations for hardware.

Then just have everything shipped to your house, open up the boxes, and plug everything together. It's pretty simple--all the connectors are labeled. Then load the OS. Install the driver for your network card. And then navigate to the respective websites for all of your hardware and download the latest drivers.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
You could easily build it yourself. Just post your specific requirements, and I'm sure people will come along with specific recommendations for hardware.

Then just have everything shipped to your house, open up the boxes, and plug everything together. It's pretty simple--all the connectors are labeled. Then load the OS. Install the driver for your network card. And then navigate to the respective websites for all of your hardware and download the latest drivers.

Aeteocles is right. I recently did this and it was not all that daunting. Sure, you'll feel like you've screwed up somewhere, but with a few YouTube videos and some patience you'll be fine. newegg.com & pcpartpicker.com have many resources that you can use. Good luck!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
+2 for Aeteocles recomendation- It's not worth the risk and expense of shipping the computer when finished.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I would say one needs to focus on the needs/purpose/function of this box vs "building" one or not.
You can't build anything until you know how it needs to be built if at all.
Faxing? This is 2017 and there are a lot of alternatives.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is the easy part...the installation and configuring of Linux is going to be the tricky part for someone not experienced.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
+3 for Aeteocles recommendation.

Just go slow. Google/Youtube will help tremendously. Don't be discouraged when, after plugging in everything, hit the power and nothing but a blinking cursor. Just double check everything, make sure memory DIMMs and CPU are well seated, HDD/SSD and keyboard/mouse/monitor connections are solid. Those are usually the causes.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
'fax' was a typo... Big Grin

should have been 'fast'

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of Linux? (not saying not to do it, just wondering why, and futher, the purpose of the machine)

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
quote:

That is the easy part...the installation and configuring of Linux is going to be the tricky part for someone not experienced.

Even for someone experienced. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. It's a crapshoot, particularly with something like Ubuntu.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
What is the purpose of Linux? (not saying not to do it, just wondering why, and futher, the purpose of the machine)

Apart from a three year interlude with Mac OSX, I have used Linux exclusively for 15 years.

I can say that the driver issues are largely a thing of the past. Modern distros are as easy to install and configure as Windoze or OSX.

Unless there are specific applications needed on MS or OSX, Linux has options available for anything the typical user needs and can run many MS apps through emulation anyway.

My current preference is Linux Mint. Makes a great DD. Smile

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Even for someone experienced. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. It's a crapshoot, particularly with something like Ubuntu.

Eh? In what respect?

You install it. You configure it. It runs. Done.

In... (thinking...) I'm going to say about plus-or-minus two decades I've had precisely zero Linux installations fail to work correctly and only two updates do something wonky. I've done Red Hat, Mandrake, Ubuntu and Mint, on everything from 586 laptops to the Intel i5 my current home system is running.

Not everything has always been trouble-free, but, I've fewer problems with Linux than I ever had with MS-Windows.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I used to build computers from a company in Halifax when I was in university - also worked for Digital Equipment assembling and installing VAX machines back in the 80's

I have a skill set now which doesn't include computers

The first computer I built was an Altair. The last one I built was an NEC Dos machine.

I am looking for a nice fast Linux box to get away from Windows and all things Microsoft. Eventually it will go into my observatory and be used for controlling my telescope, dome position and long duration astrophotography.

I don't mind paying someone to do what I can't. And to make suggestions on better alternatives.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't mind paying someone to do what I can't. And to make suggestions on better alternatives.
Your history has given you an unrealistic idea of the difficulty. I think most SFers who are knowledgeable in this area would be embarrassed to take your money, it is that easy. If you've built a VAX, you have more than enough mad skillz.

Unless you are trying to build an out-on-the-edge "gamer" machine, or redundant everything, lights-out ZFS server, there is little magic to it. Build sites/recipes are everywhere, it is much more driven by your budget than anything technical.

WRT Linux, Centos (khakis, button down shirt and tie) or Ubuntu (t-shirt and jeans) are your mainstream picks. Me? I'm a BSD guy, so WTF do I know?

Posts: 6458 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Report This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Just want to clarify.. My I'll do it was intended as I'll do it for free.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Report This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
The problem that might come up in building your own computer is that you get all the parts except one or more that are "Out of stock" and have to wait weeks for it to come in. Or you start building and one or more of the parts might be defective. Now you have to diagnose which one it is and return it and wait for the replacement.

For me, I would just buy one already built with whatever OS I want already loaded. It would probably be cheaper that way anyway, if not in money, for sure in time spent on the project.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Your history has given you an unrealistic idea of the difficulty. I think most SFers who are knowledgeable in this area would be embarrassed to take your money, it is that easy. If you've built a VAX, you have more than enough mad skillz.

Unless you are trying to build an out-on-the-edge "gamer" machine, or redundant everything, lights-out ZFS server, there is little magic to it. Build sites/recipes are everywhere, it is much more driven by your budget than anything technical.

WRT Linux, Centos (khakis, button down shirt and tie) or Ubuntu (t-shirt and jeans) are your mainstream picks. Me? I'm a BSD guy, so WTF do I know?

Take it from somebody who does this for a living for over 30 years ~ it can come together easy or it can be a nightmare.
My experience is the average amateur that thinks he can "build" a computer only does a surface assembly.
Nobody now days tests, benchmarks, burn-in's let alone actually optimizing a product for use.
Of course if all you need to do is look a couple web pages and send an email or two then what difference does it make, right.
Mine are built for business users that demand more in the long run and some needs for performance.
There is a difference in doing it right and just doing it ~ kind of like buying a suit off the rack or having one custom tailored.
YMMV