SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need tile installation advice.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need tile installation advice. Login/Join 
posted
Our house has ugly tile in the kitchen and living room. Only thing good about it is that if mud is tracked in, it’s hard to tell. It blends right in. Same if the dog throws up.

Previous owners musta gotten a deal on it.

When new tile is installed, does the old tile have to be broken up and removed or can new tile be laid on top? The threshold heights and transitions don’t appear to be a problem.

I don’t want to pay for removal if is not required. I will if it’s nessesary.

Posts: 1613 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yes remove it, the only way, IMO.

Posts: 23003 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What kind of tile?

Vinyl and you may be able to go over it.

Ceramic, porcelain and such types you will need to remove them.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16424 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would remove it. It is a job believe me. Not as bad as busting concrete to break up a garage floor, but close. I would hire it out.

Posts: 17345 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As others have noted, if its ceramic tile, remove it first. And depending upon how it was initially installed, removing it may be the most labor intensive part of your re-tile.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Depot rents concrete sanders. Pull up the old tile and the sander to smooth out the surface.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14057 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Crappy messy job but it has to come up.
If you have a decent sized air compressor this will make it pretty quick getting it up.
https://m.harborfreight.com/ai...r-scraper-62687.html

Clean up will take awhile.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25498 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responses! It’s ceramic tile. I’m too old and decrepit to do it myself. I’ll have to hire it out. Not including new tile material cost, how much percent wise of the total labor including new tile installation will the old tile removal be? Any ideas?

Posts: 1613 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for your responses! It’s ceramic tile. I’m too old and decrepit to do it myself. I’ll have to hire it out. Not including new tile material cost, how much percent wise of the total labor including new tile installation will the old tile removal be? Any ideas?

It will be more than you want to pay. It is a semi skilled job, so I would get several bids. Cost depends on square foot and time it takes plus the cost to rent a compressor. Make sure it includes cleanup and haul away. It is a messy job.

Posts: 17345 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just paid $3/sqft to have tile installed. We did all of the demo work. No idea what that would have cost.

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I ended up renting an electric jack hammer and used a wide spade bit to remove ceramic tile. There was no way to do it by hand, it was a pain to remove and I only had about 70 square feet to remove. If you are removing it yourself it would be worth renting one. Of course I’ve known people who used hand tools to remove theirs but I guess it varies by how well it’s attached.

Posts: 4153 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
As has been noted, the old tile needs to come up. Now the real big deal is you need a good 'foundation' to install any new tile... so what is under this might need to come up and be replaced too. Tile needs to go down on a solid smooth base.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Underneath the old tile is a concrete foundation.I would assume that it would have been leveled by filling in the high spots with the standard leveling substance used for tile. Hopefully, it won’t need further leveling. I suppose the removal process might bung up the old concrete surface.