SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice needed on Frozen Gumbo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed on Frozen Gumbo Login/Join 
posted
I purchased a 60 ounce container of frozen gumbo. It says to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then heat. Can I refreeze the remaining gumbo or should I just leave it in the refrigerator and consume it over several days? Thanks

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve always been told to not refreeze previously frozen foods.

Sound like a gumbo party at your house!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If it does not have seafood in it, it would likely refreeze just fine. Another option would be to portion it while still frozen. A large serrated knife should saw through it after enough throwing to get the frozen product out of the tub. Just lay it on its side and saw off the portion you want to thaw then put the rest back in the tub and into the freezer for later.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t refreeze it. Just eat it up within a few days.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10544 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
2 qts gumbo makes 2 or 3 meals so my vote is thaw, eat, and refrigerate leftovers as you eat over the next couple of days.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's only seven bowls of slightly more than eight ounces each. Around my house, that would last for only a few days. Better to consume it than to re-freeze it. It should be safe in your refrigerator for at least a week or so.

Posts: 122 | Location: Hernando, MS | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up south of I-10 in Louisiana. Gumbo only gets better with age, especially chicken/sausage gumbo. Just make some fresh rice and cut up some fresh green onions to sprinkle on top. Add hot sauce and garlic bread.

For a coon ass tip from deep SW Louisiana that you probably haven’t heard - try some cold potato salad with your gumbo. Grab a spoonful of potato salad and dunk it in the hot gumbo juice. The cool creaminess of the potato salad compliments the hot spicy gumbo.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
I grew up south of I-10 in Louisiana. Gumbo only gets better with age, especially chicken/sausage gumbo. Just make some fresh rice and cut up some fresh green onions to sprinkle on top. Add hot sauce and garlic bread.

For a coon ass tip from deep SW Louisiana that you probably haven’t heard - try some cold potato salad with your gumbo. Grab a spoonful of potato salad and dunk it in the hot gumbo juice. The cool creaminess of the potato salad compliments the hot spicy gumbo.

There is a very good seafood place in Houston that has an absurd "40 ounce gumbo" dish. Pretty much anything that is in any traditional gumbo is in it. It sounds like a mess, but it's actually great.

It also has potato salad in it, which I thought was odd, but wasn't bad at all. I had no idea it was a real Louisiana thing.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't refreeze it - just eat it. Most foods, and especially seafoods, don't improve any with freezing, and re-freezing will just compound the problem.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Gumbo the main staple for a few days.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^
Sounds good. THANKS

posted Hide Post
Strange problem...Gumbo doesn't stay around my house long enough to freeze. However, gumbo freezes well (I am told).

When this Cajun makes gumbo, we use the biggest pot we can find and fill it to the brim. Still doesn't last very long.

Duck season is here so Duck and sausage gumbo is in my near future...Yeeee haw!

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I would eat for a few days. I just finished a bowl of Seafood Gumbo I got yesterday in Pierre Part at Landry's

Posts: 13051 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'd help you eat it!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post