SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Picking out tools
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking out tools Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I use to do most of my own car repairs when I was younger, use to change engines and have rebuilt some. But now days when I look under the hoods of today's vehicles I would suggest a credit card & cell phone for roadside break downs.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think a good Craftsman set can still be found. Just be wary when shopping. 150 pcs in one set may be 2/3 screw driver bits and allen wrenches but another set may be almost entirely sockets which would be preferred.

1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets, standard and metric sockets for each including deep wells, Channellock pliers in 2 sizes, regular pliers, needle nose pliers in the same brand, assorted cutting pliers (wire cutter type, especially micros) pipe wrench, assorted wrenches in standard and metric, a claw hammer, ball peen hammer and small handheld sledge, couple good pry bars (harbor freight), assorted screw drivers in both philips and slot head.

Go with a good brand like Craftsman, Kobalt, but not a top tier brand like SnapOn or Mac. Cheaper no name tools will break and bust your knuckles.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
If you are looking at socket sets, I would favor buying a 6 point socket set over a 12 point, particularly if it is your first or only set.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
A 12 foot tape measure was suggested. I would recommend a 6-12' in your junk drawer in the house, and three different ones in your tool kit. A 12, 25, and a 50(or100). I've got Stanley 12' tapes in all our vehicles as well.

A good Stanley knife with extra blades. I prefer the style that is held together by a single screw. The ones that click together or have a gimmick latch always seem to break on me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanPatWork,

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Husky rolling tool chest with upper tier add on.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It just occurred to me that recommending a book or three might be a good idea. I have one on plumbing, electrical, woodworking, trim, etc. I don't remember the titles off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's a basic handyman book that the OP could start with.

Posts: 10972 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Here is a pretty good deal for Lowe's 232 piece tool set.

I would use this as a base and then add what else might be needed. My order of next priority for home stuff, Dewalt 20V impact and drill set, impact drill set. Large channel locks and needle nose pliers.

Then when stuff breaks you still won't have what you need and will need to get more tools.

Man rule #62, For any new project you will always need new tools to do the job right! Never let a new project go to waste and not get new tools!

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Mechanic type tools aren't needed much around the house so sockets and wrenches aren't the most useful. I don't carry much for tools in my truck because with cars today I couldn't do much on the side of the road anyway.

Cordless drill with bits (drill and driver)
Stanley 25' tape and several smaller tapes
Channel locks, dykes, needle nose pliers
Screwdrivers
Hammer
Cordless circular saw can be very handy

Its a start. Remember, buy cheap, buy twice

Posts: 3460 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Irwin 9-in-1 screwdriver. Use it all the time - square drive is great for electrical work.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Nebo Torchy Redline. Has a clip and a magnetic base so you can work hands free.

https://www.amazon.com/NEBO-10...y%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-2

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3972 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Get a decent LED light that runs a long time, that doesn't roll, and has the ability to be clipped to something. There are no shortage of places where you'll run out of hands, and need illumination.

Clips are great. So are magnets. If you can find a light with both, that’s even better.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
A bubble level.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Get a decent LED light that runs a long time, that doesn't roll, and has the ability to be clipped to something. There are no shortage of places where you'll run out of hands, and need illumination.

Clips are great. So are magnets. If you can find a light with both, that’s even better.

Go with a headlamp.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
A stud finder.

posted Hide Post
For minor repairs around the home :
Claw hammer
screwdriver set
Channel Locks
Needle nose pliers
Drill and bits
Jig saw and blades
Circular saw and blades
Level
Square
Extension cords
Multimeter
Wire brush
Linemans pliers
wire strippers

That's a start .

Posts: 4063 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DO NOT!! Buy Kobalt sockets !! Tiny shallow markings impossible to read the markings and the plastic toolbox they come in jam up every time you open the drawers! Do not buy any left hand metric vicegrips! This is an important tool to send annoying helpers after!

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Knipex Cobra pliers.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
One of these to accumulate everything into. At my home, I can fix 80% of what goes wrong with the tools I have stored in this bucket.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
What about a 10" cresent wrench(knuckle buster) and a slip joint pipe wrench. ......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
WRT gunsmithing.....or even taking the grips off your 1911,Mauser88, 1903....having the right sized screwdriver is important to not fucking up your gun’s screws....

https://www.brownells.com/guns...r-sets--prod417.aspx

Buy once cry once.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11292 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post