SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Theatre/music setup
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Theatre/music setup Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted
I have an older 5.1 home theater setup using a Yamaha RX-V757 receiver. For movies it is great, but playing music not so much (the speakers are Def Tech Mythos towers, center and gems in the back). I’m ready to move up to a new receiver with HDMI inputs and output. Amazed by all of the options. Anything good for movies surround sound and music, perhaps with a separate pair of speakers running off the “B” channel on the receiver? I have done some reading online, but the options seem limitless.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Adoramaa had some Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers on clearance. I like Denon receivers with the Audessey calibration. It sets everything for you. Usually I bump the center up another point or two afterward.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have a 7.1.2 setup with a new Denon 9 channel receiver. My speakers are Emotiva with an Outlaw subwoofer. It sounds great for movies- especially those that have incorporated Atmos. For music, I change it to stereo mode. I find my Denon receiver is warmer then my former Onkyo that gave up the ghost after 10+ years.

Most of my TV and music is streamed via an Apple TV 4K. I also have a 4K DVD player feeding an LG 4K OLED 65” TV.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer: I'm not an audiophile. Just some average guy that listens to and enjoys background music most all day every day.

My traditional home theater stereo system and speakers have been banished to a storage closet.

I have a newer 55" TCL ROKU TV that has more inputs and outputs than I'll ever use and covers every choice I may have made with a traditional home theater receiver.

For sound I have a wireless Sonos system, center channel, sub and surrounds. This system sounds GREAT (to me) for both stereo music or TV.

No wires or cables running everywhere. Can stream music from internet or songs stored on computer or portable device. Most internet audio services also offer local AM and FM stations, so I don't miss those either.

If I had it to do all over again, there isn't anything I would change ... or I already would have changed it LOL.

Smart TV and Sonos ... bye bye traditional home theater stereo receiver and speakers.

Posts: 4728 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Disclaimer: I'm not an audiophile. Just some average guy that listens to and enjoys background music most all day every day.

My traditional home theater stereo system and speakers have been banished to a storage closet.

I have a newer 55" TCL ROKU TV that has more inputs and outputs than I'll ever use and covers every choice I may have made with a traditional home theater receiver.

For sound I have a wireless Sonos system, center channel, sub and surrounds. This system sounds GREAT (to me) for both stereo music or TV.

No wires or cables running everywhere. Can stream music from internet or songs stored on computer or portable device. Most internet audio services also offer local AM and FM stations, so I don't miss those either.

If I had it to do all over again, there isn't anything I would change ... or I already would have changed it LOL.

Smart TV and Sonos ... bye bye traditional home theater stereo receiver and speakers.

Interesting. 7.1 setup? Sonos for all 7 speakers?

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
Interesting. 7.1 setup? Sonos for all 7 speakers?

Not sure but see no reason why not. I'd ask the Sonos folks about it specifically though.

One interesting and useful feature of Sonos app (if using an iPad or Apple phone) is TruePlay. What TruePlay does is use the speaker on the portable device (pad or phone) as you walk around the room and the Sonos app acoustically custom balances each speaker exactly to the room and in relation to your normal TV viewing position ... or any position you initially start the TruePlay from.

Additionally, Sonos is not just for home theater or main room stereo music. You can have wireless Sonos speakers all over the house from kitchen to bath and bedroom ... only limited by WiFi distances. All controlled from one app on iPad, phone and or computer. Various Sonos speakers throughout the house could be combined in groups or played individually. Take a look at the Sonos website for setups and features. Glad I did. Wasn't cheap but I sure have enjoyed and continue to enjoy Sonos.

Posts: 4728 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hobbs. Are you running 7 Sonos speakers for your movie sound? Or something different for the mains?

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
Thanks Hobbs. Are you running 7 Sonos speakers for your movie sound? Or something different for the mains?

Sonos Play Base (center channel) below TV, surrounds either end of sofa and a sub behind the sofa. All I need for my small home ... well that and apparently some leather cleaner LOL. Dang dogs. No wires or cables running all over the place on hardwood floors. The TV is on a stand, available as an option from Sonos and adjusts for the height of the play base center channel. I don't think "play base" is still available, but Sonos has upgraded with equally as good or better center channel offerings.

OH ... and for those hard of hearing or just trouble with some frequencies, the Sonos app has a speech enhancement option ... that only applies to TV but not stereo music. Of course the app has an equalizer and such as well though. For me, TruePlay balances everything nicely and if acoustics change or you move the system, just re-run Trueplay. The system sounds great without using the TruePlay feature, but TruePlay gets the best acoustic balance specifically to a given room and viewing position. And you can turn TruePlay on or off in the app without having to run it each time you do enable and disable it. I always leave it enabled though.

The harsh overhead lighting is just for these pictures. I usually have the smaller wall lights on either side of the "Sun" on, if any light on at all in that room.

posted Hide Post
To be honest unless you have a massive room you are better off sticking with 5.1 and spending the extra money on better speakers.

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Which Mythos and what sub? I have Mythos STS fronts with a Mythos 9 center and Mythos 1's in the rear, with a Rythmic sub doing the heavy lifting. I use a Marantz receiver and music and movies are great. Def Techs tend to like Marantz and Denon AVR's.

Posts: 3470 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Which Mythos and what sub? I have Mythos STS fronts with a Mythos 9 center and Mythos 1's in the rear, with a Rythmic sub doing the heavy lifting. I use a Marantz receiver and music and movies are great. Def Techs tend to like Marantz and Denon AVR's.

Mythos 1s L and R, Mythos 3 center, gems in the back. SuperCube II sub.

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have a 5 year old Onkyo midlevel receiver. Def Tech BP6B's, 8060 center, Prosub 800, and a couple of very old Polk 5jr for the back end. I wasn't happy with the sub when I first bought it, but some tweeking has it working pretty well. I was having really bad wifi problems, but once I put a hard wire into the TV itself that solved that problem. TV audio never seems to be consistent, but every time I put in a music CD this system is the best I've ever had.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I have a 5 year old Onkyo midlevel receiver. Def Tech BP6B's, 8060 center, Prosub 800, and a couple of very old Polk 5jr for the back end. I wasn't happy with the sub when I first bought it, but some tweeking has it working pretty well. I was having really bad wifi problems, but once I put a hard wire into the TV itself that solved that problem. TV audio never seems to be consistent, but every time I put in a music CD this system is the best I've ever had.

I don’t really know how to describe it. Music sounds somewhat thin. I can crank the sub up, but that’s not the fix.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I have Mythos 1's for fronts in the basement room with an Outlaw sub and a Pioneer Elite receiver. The room in the basement has some room treatment and sounds great. I haven't looked at AVR's in a couple years but my Marantz and Pioneer play nice with my speakers, nice warm sound. Denon is a sister of Marantz so should be about the same. I demo'd an Onkyo and didn't care for the sound.

Posts: 3470 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Haven't looked at the current A/V receivers on the market so I can't offer any real advice other than get a solid unit and it will provide years of enjoyment.

I have a lot of equipment that has aged very well like my 13 year old Onkyo receiver below.

I too am running an Onkyo A/V receiver with some DefTech and Outlaw speakers in a 7+2 configuration.

--Onkyo TX-SR705S
--Definitive Technology BP8B (L&R front)
--Definitive Technology C/L/R2002 (center)
--Energy C-50 (L&R sides + L&R rear)
--Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX [= Hsu VTF-3] (main sub)
--Outlaw Audio LFM-1c [= Hsu STF-2] (secondary sub)
--TCL 65R615 65” 4K 2160P HDR RokuTV
--Philips CDP7502 4K Blu-Ray player
--vintage Philips CD player, vintage JVC turntable, and vintage Sony VCR as well in the system Big Grin

For dedicated stereo I have a separate system.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
bald1, some serious envy going on here for that dedicated stereo system, with separate power amps for each channel.
Remind me what's in your system--is that a Revox reel-to-reel in the background?
And the speakers--Magnepans?

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
bald1, some serious envy going on here for that dedicated stereo system, with separate power amps for each channel.
Remind me what's in your system--is that a Revox reel-to-reel in the background?
And the speakers--Magnepans?

Doc, here's a full description:
https://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/320.html
Yes, modified Magneplanar IIIa but a Tandberg TD20a reel. And actually besides the dual monoblock amps, there is an additional stereo amp employed for the biamped subwoofer augmented Maggie setup.

My stuff was bought over several decades with lots of tweaking. I've been damned good about keeping the components in quality trim, replacing capacitors and performing any minor repairs as needed. Friends laud the sound from my main system and I can't complain at all about the HT system. :thumbsup:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I'm not a smoke worshiper but Holy Smokes bald1 !!! ... NICE! Bet your local power meter seriously rotates to the music Wink LOL

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Just went through this.

Ended up with Yamaha TSR-700 from Costco on sale for $329 (regular $399). It is a renamed for Costco RX-V6A. 7.1.2, HDMI, Dolby Atmos, yada, yada, yada. The RX-V6A goes for $599, so that is a pretty good deal.

Has all the bells and whistles while still being reasonably priced. Good reviews from audio places.

For speakers, I went with a Klipsch five speaker (technically seven I guess as the towers have separate up-firing ATMOS speakers built in the top of the enclosure) package of two towers, center, and two rears. Got the Klipsch subwoofer from Costco as well. All in, under $1400 before tax with everything being on sale.

I am very happy with it, of course can always spend more and may not be audiophile quality, but plenty for me and my damaged ears (too much time around military aircraft).

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10957 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Just went through this.

Ended up with Yamaha TSR-700 from Costco on sale for $329 (regular $399). It is a renamed for Costco RX-V6A. 7.1.2, HDMI, Dolby Atmos, yada, yada, yada. The RX-V6A goes for $599, so that is a pretty good deal.

Has all the bells and whistles while still being reasonably priced. Good reviews from audio places.

For speakers, I went with a Klipsch five speaker (technically seven I guess as the towers have separate up-firing ATMOS speakers built in the top of the enclosure) package of two towers, center, and two rears. Got the Klipsch subwoofer from Costco as well. All in, under $1400 before tax with everything being on sale.

I am very happy with it, of course can always spend more and may not be audiophile quality, but plenty for me and my damaged ears (too much time around military aircraft).

Was looking at that Yamaha, as well as the Denon AVR-S750H. Maybe I move the 1s to the back, use the gems as speakers 6 and 7, and get two new speakers for L and R front.