SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Musicians, Guitarists, Sound techs which 12" speaker to buy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musicians, Guitarists, Sound techs which 12" speaker to buy? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I always liked the Celestion Vintage 30.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I just can't bring myself to buy a made in China Celestion V30 when I can get speakers for about the same price made in Kentucky or Indiana. I've looked at Guitar Warehouse Speaker and Weber but the Eminence are a bit more affordable.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
I had crossed off the Swamp Thang because it's characteristics are listed as aggressive lows and mids and that makes me think of less clarity on the high end. But it's break-up mode is listed as slow.

Their use of "aggressive" in describing the low end doesn't translate to anything useful to me. It's got a full, round low end and low mids, put in very simple terms. That tends to compliment single coils pretty well in my opinion. It's a 150 watt speaker, so being slow to break up is on point: You'll have tons of headroom. The Texas Heat has a little more presence to it (highs), not as full and throaty sounding, but nice and clear. I'm hearing some great cleans from the Swamp Thang in these videos, with maybe just a touch of compression. It's not Roland Jazz Chorus clean, but it doesn't seem like that's what you're looking for, unless I'm mistaken.

We sold a lot of Tonkers, too. Those are worth a look.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post