SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stuck between two welders… UPDATE bought the Hobart 210 MVP.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck between two welders… UPDATE bought the Hobart 210 MVP. Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I am stuck between two different welders. It’s between these two, and while I’m sure there are a lot of other welders available, I would like to hear which of these two the SIGForum welders would choose, and why.

Hobart Handler 210

Miller Millermatic 141 (yes, the 211 is awesome, but more than I am willing to spend).

The Hobart is 110/220, and has higher specs.
The guy at Vern Lewis welding says get the Miller. It’s specs are lower, but it’s a far better machine, and will have just as deep of penetration as the Hobart, even though it is rated for less.
He also said the portability of the 141 is superior. All around I am told that the Miller is a superior machine.

I have a lot of projects coming up, and have outsourced too many. I’m tired of borrowing a welder from a friend, so it’s time to invest.

What do the SIGForum welders have to say?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beancooker,

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
I have had the smaller Hobart Handler 140 for a few years, and I really love it. I really wanted the 210, but couldn't justify the price difference since the 140 suits most of my welding needs (repairs on farm implements, trailers, etc).

I never used the Miller 141, so I can't really answer your question, but I will say that Hobart makes a good welder. Whichever one you choose, don't fool with flux core wire unless you have to. Lease/buy a gas bottle and run solid core wire.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I bought a Hobart Handler (different model=on a crazy sale at TSC) after considering that I would only use it sparingly. I've been very pleased with it, but if I were to use it for work or very frequently, I'd have bought blue.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
I’m probably in the minority here but I have a primeweld Tig 225 and a Mig 180 and they are amazing. I had a Lincoln MP-210 before and sold it to buy the dedicated tig thinking I would upgrade to a name brand and frankly now I see no reason to do so. They are reasonably priced and the customer service is out of this world

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a hobart handler 210mvp, bought it 6 months ago, welds great so far. I just got a great deal on a new multiprocess esab 205ic, been playing with it love the features great welder but very pricy. Hobart 210 weighs 90 pounds, esab weighs 50 pounds. I don’t think there is much difference between hobart and miller, although miller has better features, and slightly better quality. I work at a welding supply company, who is a miller, hobart, lincoln, and esab dealer.

Posts: 140 | Location: Western New York | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've had a 210 for two years now? No complaints, though I don't know what that's worth, it was my first and only wire fed welder so it's not like I have anything to compare it to. I've only ever flux core welded with it since it's all done in my driveway and most of the things I do function beats form. I keep planning on getting gas, but besides cost and outdoor issues, a tank would really cut down on it's handiness. (because moving it from where it's stored to where it's used is not quite convenient, adding a tank of any real size would make it much less so)

I did go up one model from what I originally planned to the 210 because it was rated for thicker metal, in exchange for losing a little theoretically on the lower end. Why I thought I would need the higher end I don't know, maybe from growing up stick welding on big trucks. In retrospect the lower end probably would have been more useful, doing thin sheet metal and the like, but just like not doing any real thick metal, I've yet to do any real thin either. Though there is some auto body welding coming soon.

The only real time I've regretted buying the 210 was before I had a proper cart and was storing in the house, humping it outside to use. It's not light. lol That still causes issues in the "off road" trip it takes to get to my driveway.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only real time I've regretted buying the 210 was before I had a proper cart and was storing in the house, humping it outside to use. It's not light. lol That still causes issues in the "off road" trip it takes to get to my driveway.

I got this cart from Grainger, and it rolls surprisingly well on the gravel floor of my pole barn.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’d have to say the Miller machines I have used were a bit easier to use, which made for nicer welds. I am not a pro welder by any means.

Whether it was worth the extra cost, hard to say. I went with the Millermatic 211 and have no regrets.

I’d like to know some of the detailed differences between equivalent Miller/Hobart machines. Are some parts in the cheaper machine plastic instead of metal? Where did the cost difference come from, exactly?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The bottle neck with these small 110v machines is input. Make sure you plug into at least a 20amp circuit. 30 is even better. These machines run poorly on a 15 or 10 amp circuit. Flux core was mentioned before. If you're considering running flux core you have to change the polarity of the machine to DC straight. Ground + and gun -. If you're running solid with gas DC reverse. Ground -, and gun +. Flux core is messy, but its the thing to have if your outdoors in windy conditions.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hbabler:
I’m probably in the minority here but I have a primeweld Tig 225 and a Mig 180 and they are amazing. I had a Lincoln MP-210 before and sold it to buy the dedicated tig thinking I would upgrade to a name brand and frankly now I see no reason to do so. They are reasonably priced and the customer service is out of this world

I have the same TIG machine, but no MIG right now. Great use of $900. I'm going to upgrade and add one of their coolers and a CK water cooled torch pretty soon.

Based on what I've seen from the PW TIG machine I'd be willing to entertain the idea of buying one of their MIG units.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 211 is so much nicer. Try going to your local gas and welding supply house and see if they have any trade in or rental return machines for sale. Or you could save up for another couple months. Speaking as a guy who limped along for 10+ years before upgrading from an old linc 110v mig before springing for the 211. The reason they cost more is because they are worth it.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Get the blue one.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My first welder was a Hobart. A 175 IIRC. My second welder was a Miller 250. Now I keep the Miller in the shop with solid core, and the Hobart is setup for outside work with flux core. No more switching back and forth.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don’t want a Hobart welder. They are made by ITW (Illinois tool works) which is a harbor freight level tool company. The Hobart machines today are not the machines from back in the day. It’s made in China crap now.

You’ll never see a Hobart machine in an industrial shop. I haven’t in my 10 years as a welder. What you will mostly see is millers, especially millermatics.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider who is selling what -
Hobart - big box stores
Miller - welding supply stores.

If you intend to improve your skills, buy the best you can. Quality work with poor tools is frustrating.

Consider quality used equipment.

I have and use a Miller 251 with a gas bottle. Have used it daily in a repair shop for a year or more, now use as needed in home shop. Works great in both applications. Then again, I am a retired shop teacher.

IMO a 110v machine can do bodywork weight steel welding and little more. For anything heavier a 220v machine it the way to go.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
They are made by ITW (Illinois tool works) which is a harbor freight level tool company

Who also owns Miller.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I used a 480V Miller welder extensively. It was great and good quality.

On the 120V side, I've used both a Hobart and a Miller and of the two, I preferred the Hobart as having a better wire feed system. Both these are wire feed welders.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have no professional training as a welder. I had a Blue Point 110 unit that came off the Snap On truck. It was ok, until it died 20 years later, and honestly not that much use. I bought a used Miller 130 or 131 (too lazy to go look) off marketplace about 3 years ago. No comparison, the Miller seems like a whole different level of equipment. My weld quality is much better, and it’s way easier to achieve that result. My son-in-law is a talented welder, and he loves it as well. Every time he uses it, he always talks about how good of a job it does. I am definitely a Miller fan now, and would like to upgrade to a 211 as well.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I looked at mine in the barn, it's a Hobart Handler 175. I do not use it much but it's been great.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Miller but that is what I was raised on.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post