SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer recommendation Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
It’s time to replace my home office computer. I currently use a laptop that’s docked, but it’s not optimal and I believe I want a tower/desktop.

I just don’t know what I’m looking at and what’s needed.

This would be for general family use, surfing, email, maybe some educational sites or apps for the kids, and probably some PowerPoint/Word/Excel stuff here and there.

So nothing much, really. My actual work stuff is through my work laptop that I also do k when needed.

I was looking at Costco but I’m stupid when it comes to this stuff. My only requirement is that it lasts a few years and maybe a solid state drive? Maybe a CD drive too, just in case I need to run something older? Is that a valid concern?

Amy other suggestions or recommendations? I think I’ll also upgrade to a single larger monitor.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy direct from Dell
https://www.dell.com/en-us/sho...als/pc-desktop-deals

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4274 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A Dell Optiplex is what we primarily order at work for desktops.
Micro or small form factor
Intel i5 & 8gb ram should suffice. We usually order with a platter drive & upgrade to ssd in house, with an OS fresh install, as that's usually quicker/cheaper from our vendor.

They used to be around $4-500 but have gone up in the last couple years

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15345 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
$549.00 as of this post.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09V...lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with Dell, and my only advice is to shop their site pretty hard. They will have similar computers under different badging, and you can look for example under “home office” and “small business” and can get different pricing for similar machines.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably anything will be fine. The less expensive Costco models sometimes do not have much upgrade room. A usb dvd drive is available to plug in if you decide you really need one. Dell are usually reliable and may be best choice if you are not handy at parts replacement. Agree on monitor enlargement. Computer should have HDMI output to match monitor input

Posts: 1405 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
It may well be that non-technical factors (how big, how noisy, how hot) might be more applicable to the decision process than the traditional technical specifications. For your listed purposes, pretty much anything offered for sale will be "enough computer." Your useful longevity will be more at the mercy of your OS provider, and how long they support your hardware with security patches, etc. than any component going obsolete. Even then, alternative OS's such as Linux can often extend the life of even the eldest hardware.

You may want to consider switching from a buggy, security-compromised-out-of-the-box OS to something like macOS or Unix/Linux which aer designed to at least have a chance of being secureable.

Posts: 6489 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
any interest in building one from parts you can get either locally or from NewEgg or Amazon?

there are MANY experts here who coulde walk you through it and won't let you fail Smile

Anyone who can put together an AR-15 lower can put together a computer, it's about the same complexity, having done both Smile

you would end up with something that has no bloat ware and that you could improve / fix easily in the future.

To be honest, you won't save any money, but it's an option.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Do You have a buy, sell, trade, electronics place near you??
Your needs are much like ours. I go to that sort of place here and buy a refurbished tower from them for like $125 and they last me years.
Their support and service is great.
I tell them our usage and say I want to spend as little as possible.
I bought my wife a nicer used laptop from them and 3 months later the keyboard quit working I took it back expecting to pay them to fix it.

He just gave me the newer model and sent me on my way said he’d fix it later and sell it again.

When Covid hit and kids were stuck zooming at home I bought a couple towers because our kids don’t have devices and I wanted them stationary. Those towers are still going strong. But we do nothing of any major processing.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a Mac Mini? Add monitor of your choice, keyboard, and mouse or trackpad, and you're all set.

Some good buys in used stuff at macSales.com -- tell the pre-sales support dudes what you'll use if for and they'll make good recommendations for you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I buy used Dell Precision Workstations from Flea Bay. They are usually business returns of some sort. I like the 7820's currently, but you can get smaller and cheaper models.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Have you considered a Mac Mini? Add monitor of your choice, keyboard, and mouse or trackpad, and you're all set.

This is what I have. I have it connected to a Dell monitor, Microsoft Bluetooth mouse, and a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. It's run flawlessly for me.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:Some good buys in used stuff at macSales.com -- tell the pre-sales support dudes what you'll use if for and they'll make good recommendations for you.

I second this. I've bought a lot of gear from these guys and they are terrific.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably about anything will work for your application.

I have used Dell Outlet for decent "refurbished" machines a few times. There are also large commerical refurbishers that buy pallets of machines from businesses. I like the engineering and design of business class machines. Generally smaller and of better materials.

All things being equal, I would look for something small form factor with an SSD and at least 16 GB of RAM. If you already have a monitor that you like, this could be done for a couple hundred bucks. If sound is a factor, an added bonus to a lot of the ultra small form factor machines is that they are super quiet. Some are also designed to mount to the back of a monitor if space matters.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I am a Lenovo guy. So here is a good option. Without knowing what your budget is and assuming you do not have any gaming needs . . .

Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 Desktop Computer PC

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Many folks are migrating to iPhones and iPads. For me, a 27” Mac works well with that universe. Add Parallels and windows stuff works fine. I still run a couple of windows programs.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I am a Lenovo guy. So here is a good option. Without knowing what your budget is and assuming you do not have any gaming needs . . .

Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 Desktop Computer PC

This is not Windows 11 compatible. I have no issues with refurbished computers like this, but before you buy one make sure it's compatible with Windows 11. Windows 10 is scheduled for EOL in 2025.

Windows 11 supported Intel processors
https://learn.microsoft.com/en...ted-intel-processors

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:

This is not Windows 11 compatible. I have no issues with refurbished computers like this, but before you buy one make sure it's compatible with Windows 11. Windows 10 is scheduled for EOL in 2025.

I've never understood the EOL thing. I'm still running two Win7 machines and they get updates at shutdown from time to time.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've been a Dell guy ever since PC's came out. I guess about 6-7 units mostly for my graphics business. Never had a serious issue.

Dell has changed a bit over the years, and they offer several levels of computers, with some low end consumer units. I think you can still call the Dell sales department and talk with a rep who will guide you to the best unit for your needs. Then you can buy a customized unit, adding drives, RAM and so fort. You might be surprised that the pricing on a custom unit is in the area of off the self units from big box stores.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
https://www.costco.com/dell-in...duct.4000139132.html

Hard to go wrong with a name brand like Dell, Lenovo or even Asus with a 13th gen Intel processor for your needs. Just find one at a good price. If you use dual monitors or think you might, that may alter things slightly.

For me, fast USB plugs far outweigh a CD/DVD drive.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
An external CD drive is cheap and they work well. Ours is a dvd/cd burner, so it does pretty much any format you might need. USB plug into the computer, no other external power supply. I paid something like $20 for it. So I would say don't make an internal cd drive a priority because you can add an external one really cheap as long as your computer has a usb port.

Posts: 9460 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post