SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ? about VRBO?AirBnB
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? about VRBO?AirBnB Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Is it normal for renter/owner to request copy of driver lic at time of rental?
Place we have reserved is through VRBO.
Kinda worried about ID theft.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yes?

A) Scammers don't steal your ID in person. They just buy it off the internet from a leaked database.

B) You would be showing your ID at time of arrival. You will literally know where the property is, and have someone physically there to punch in the face. Scammers don't bother stealing IDs in person (see point A) for this reason. If it's a scam, go back and smash some windows or something.

C) It's a highly elaborate scam to fake an AirBnB so you can get someone's photo from their ID. It would be easier to create a fake AirBnB listing with a vacant investment property, rent it out, get paid, and hope nobody says a thing. Why even bother with someone's ID at that point.

D) Risk analysis. What's more likely to happen, a person shows up with a fake credit card on a fake account and ends up reversing the charge for their stay or faking an ID to skip out on damage charges...or someone makes a fake AirBnB to steal an ID card, one reservation at a time, for a maximum of something like 50 reservations a year?

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Is it normal for renter/owner to request copy of driver lic at time of rental?
Place we have reserved is through VRBO.
Kinda worried about ID theft.

Not unusual. Go overseas and they'll copy your Passport.

The owner of the AirBnB is concerned about you doing a home rental version of a straw sale and later having to deal with an out of control party (see Project X) with the cops showing up and their property trashed.

Posts: 14675 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I rent a Condo in Hawaii every year using VRBO and they've never said a thing about my Drivers License.

We corresponded strictly thru the app and I paid with a Credit Card, but that's all they know about me. They haven't even asked for a cell phone number.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post