SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nearly 25% of millenials say they have no friends
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nearly 25% of millenials say they have no friends Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Is society now obligated to find them friends?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38251 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Is society now obligated to find them friends?

Their parents structured their lives so much, and gave them free access to technology.. They never had the chance to develop actual social skills. Also, the apparatus for self esteem and problem solving is broken.

Whole generations are just giant children. It is very bad, and could get worse.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
In my generation, parents said 'go outside and play'. Friendships developed from that simple concept. Online 'friends' is the reality these days.

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s how you’re raised not necessarily the accessibility of technology. Some of the biggest go getters I know are millennials. It seems like they either have it or they don’t.

Just kinda funny listening to a bunch of guys rip on the youth through the same technology.

Posts: 4011 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Just kinda funny listening to a bunch of guys rip on the youth through the same technology.
Yeah, that's hilarious, because we're all children, aren't we? Did you put any thought at all into that post? I just love people who post quasi-revelations such as yours.

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
There are few friends in anyone's life, and none of them last forever.

The rest are strangers or, at best, acquaintances. When you stop to think about it, you're pretty lucky to know much about yourself, let alone anyone else.

Not having friends isn't all that big of a deal once a person really gets that.

Maybe being an only child in the latch key generation set me up for self reliance?

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
...parents who overscheduled and "protected" them from _everything_...
Yeah, that's the other component of it. Y'know, if we had seen a kid in my neighborhood wearing a freaking helmet to ride a bicycle, we would have beaten his ass.

Go ahead and make your children afraid to go outside, afraid to roughhouse and get skinned knees. Afraid to get hurt, physically and emotionally. Make them afraid of everything and everyone. Keep them from growing up. This is what you get.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
...parents who overscheduled and "protected" them from _everything_...
Yeah, that's the other component of it. Y'know, if we had seen a kid in my neighborhood wearing a freaking helmet to ride a bicycle, we would have beaten his ass.

Go ahead and make your children afraid to go outside, afraid to roughhouse and get skinned knees. Afraid to get hurt, physically and emotionally. Make them afraid of everything and everyone. Keep them from growing up. This is what you get.

That's bullying!!!
There's soooo many anti-bullying campaigns out there now, it will make your head spin!

But it's true. That kid would have caught an ass whuppin in my neighborhood too. Same with Lil Jimmy that wanted to be called "Jane" and started to wear dresses and makeup.

But bullying is baaaaaddddd....

Somewhere along the line, kids stopped getting the belt when they screwed up. That turned into a "Time Out". Now it's a "Time In".
Zero repercussions for screwing up early in life. Then years later, as a group of decision making adults, are shockingly unable to hold anyone accountable for their actions as well...

Mommy and daddy preached "You're special" to the lil ones so much, they actually believed it. Mommy and daddy instilled zero work ethic. More importantly, mommy and daddy enabled them in their feckless and lazy behavior. Reality became a cold, hard bitch-slap to the face when the lil ones grew up and realized that they were mediocre at best.

"Oh, you want to make a million dollars a year to do what, exactly? You show up late, want to leave early, you can barely attain 'average' status, and continue to screw things up! The phrase is simple, ask everyone if they want to super size their happy meal."

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8550 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yeah, that's hilarious, because we're all children, aren't we? Did you put any thought at all into that post? I just love people who post quasi-revelations such as yours.
Glad you enjoyed it. It just struck me as ironic that a bunch of people sitting alone and using the same technology are saying it’s ruining the youth and eliminating their friends.

Posts: 4011 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were eating at a restaurant a few nights ago and two young couples, late 20's or early 30's were at the table beside us. All 4 were glued to their phones and not one bit of conversation was carried on the whole time we were there. Kind sad actually.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1903 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
I'm a millennial.
I have plenty of friends and no trouble making new ones.
How anyone else lives their life is their problem.

I find technology to be a polarizer. I use it every day to organize my social life and find activities. I use it to keep in touch with old friends and meet new ones. My life wouldn't be the same without it.

Technology is a tool like anything else. It can have wonderful and terrible uses. It's all who is behind it that matters.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Glad you enjoyed it. It just struck me as ironic that a bunch of people sitting alone and using the same technology are saying it’s ruining the youth and eliminating their friends.
Yeah, I got that the first time you said it. Too bad you can't say the same.

posted Hide Post
But they do, Technology and smart phones are their friends.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was talking to a coworker about marriage and relationships. He mentioned that his parents have been together for 42 years. I responded that I had the greatest respect for his parents accomplishment ..... (read that as envy)... but the world is a different place than when they got together. He agreed.

Most of us are old, including myself. perhaps we don't have a clue as to what these kids are experiencing. Do they know something we don't? Maybe the world we remember is gone. Maybe it never was that way in the first place.

Personally, I wish I hadn't even said hello to many of my so called "friends". Ditto to the "wonderful" women I've met over the years.

Strangely enough, the many hours I've spent on a computer (not internet) has had a greater positive impact on my quality of life than the people I've known.

True friends are very, very hard to make. You'll be lucky to have one true friend in your lifetime.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
My kids use their devices a good bit, but still manage to have REAL friends, go out and do things, engage in hobbies, etc.

There is a vast difference between using current technology and being so hopelessly mired in it that it has become your reality. South Park did an episode that describes it to a T called “You Have 0 friends” aimed at both Facebook and internet immersion.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post