SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unusual visit from police the other day. Soliciting possible explanations.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual visit from police the other day. Soliciting possible explanations. Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted
Basically, something happened down in Dallas, when/where I never was and my license plate was obviously given to police as having been there/involved along with the same make and general color of my vehicle.

The doorbell rang in mid afternoon and I answered it to find a very well mannered plainclothes policeman with a necklace mounted badge and LE marked Dallas Police windbreaker. He asked me if my name was my name, I said 'yes'. He asked me if I had a car of my car's color and make. 'Yes'.

'Can we talk?' he asked.

'Sure, hold on a second. I just need to cover this up' I said, untucking my T shirt, and stepped outside with him. I'm certain he had probably already run my name and found a current Texas LTC on file, so he was unfazed. No masks or social distancing either by the way. I am good with it, obviously so was he.

He said he had gotten my address from my car's registration and that the license number was provided in conjunction with some kind of 'incident' between two parties (and, he said, involving a kitten, mind you) at a national business on a major north south city artery road (Preston) within Dallas. The parties involved were all in the 18'ish age range.

Now I am intrigued.

He wants to know if anyone I know (or am related to) that are in that general age vicinity, have access to that vehicle. My wife and I are late fifties with no children. That's a pretty unequivocal, general no. We also have both vehicles in an always closed garage. We have not been to that part of town for at least some months anyway.

We then pretty much realized there's not much more to talk about. I gave him my phone number and he left.

So. For certain, he would not have been at my door without the plate number. That's about the only fact I have. They are public domain of course. My best and only theory is: if you own a vehicle of a certain make and general color and expect to be involved in mayhem, you might jot down that info from several vehicles you might encounter in parking lots or driving beforehand. In that case, you could have your ally offer a 'witness' statement. They would give any of several license numbers you pre-harvested to cops in an effort to throw them off the right track. If so, it was at least temporarily effective i.e. the detective at the door.

I'm pretty sure that I won't ever hear of this again. But, if I ever do, wouldn't license plate reader data in that area the night of prove I (or at least my plate) wasn't around for months maybe even years?

Just wondering what ya'll would think.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't over think it.

Typically, if a witness gets a partial plate and description we would run an offline search to see how many matches we get, then run each one down and see if the registered owner/user fit the physical description of the suspect. There's probably 20 or 30 vehicles (or more) of similar color and make with partial license plate matches in the State.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd go with they got a partial plate. They narrowed it down from there and you are 1 of a bunch of possibilities.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
A kitten, I mean come on. A visit by a detective? I am dumbfounded. Wth is up with that. I can assure you there is more to the story. I mean, I love kittens myself. But this is messed up. I mean if someone got stabbed over ownership of a kitten that is one thing. So why not call it an assault or stabbing?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
They're onto your marijuana grow. Wink

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
A kitten, I mean come on. A visit by a detective? I am dumbfounded. Wth is up with that. I can assure you there is more to the story. I mean, I love kittens myself. But this is messed up.
Ha, he was obviously trying to be as succinct as possible, but I got the impression of two groups of 'yutes', posturing about something or other, and that animal cruelty vis a vis the kitten mentioned, was somehow involved.

He also let slip the term SUV, which my vehicle is not.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
My first thought was someone may have provided police with a partial plate number and general description of the vehicle involved. Based on their database research with only a partial and general description, they came up with you ... and maybe a few others. Now they're looking for one they can tie to 18 year olds. ... maybe.

Many years ago while in the military and in the middle of a 6-month deployment, out of the blue I received a speeding ticket with an attached red light camera picture of the tag. The picture was not well lit and blurry. I couldn't make the numbers out on the photocopy of the original they sent ... but the thing was ... I'd put my car into Long Term Storage located on base and before we even deployed. I explained that to them and heard nothing further about it. But, I sure did worry for the remainder of the deployment about where exactly my car was. Returning from deployment, I found it hadn't been moved an inch.

Posts: 4706 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
My best and only theory is: if you own a vehicle of a certain make and general color and expect to be involved in mayhem, you might jot down that info from several vehicles you might encounter in parking lots or driving beforehand. In that case, you could have your ally offer a 'witness' statement. They would give any of several license numbers you pre-harvested to cops in an effort to throw them off right track. If so, it was at least temporarily effective i.e. the detective at the door.

I'm pretty sure that I won't ever hear of this again. But, if I ever do, wouldn't license plate reader data in that area the night of prove I (or at least my plate) wasn't around for months maybe even years?

Just wondering what ya'll would think.
Only thing in your control would be a Dash cam. I have front and rear cameras. I don’t break the law so I have no qualms about using it to show my GPS location or if there was something I was nearby then some other vehicle’s plates are recorded.

Outside your control the police can run stop light cameras, obtain footage from private cameras, toll tags, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23283 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
At one time some asshole(s) was (were) throwing kittens onto IH-35 in Austin, maybe 10-15 years ago. The kittens were being thrown onto flyway through downtown. There was also a bum that was dropping rocks on cars from bridges.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
A kitten, I mean come on. A visit by a detective? I am dumbfounded. Wth is up with that. I can assure you there is more to the story. I mean, I love kittens myself. But this is messed up. I mean if someone got stabbed over ownership of a kitten that is one thing. So why not call it an assault or stabbing?

An pure bred kitten can be worth thousands.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31454 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Have you confirmed your plates are still on your vehicle?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10944 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Have you confirmed your plates are still on your vehicle?
Yes. I opened the garage so he could see whatever he wanted to see himself.

I know he knows I was carrying inside the house and also heard the beeping associated with the door sensors on both the front door and the garage. Whenever that happens and we didn't open any doors, I generally fly down to the front door and check, even if I was in bed. I'd bet he surmised that this is always an armed response.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. A witness probably just mis-read a license plate and ended up giving them your number by mistake (or as has been previously suggested, they only got a partial plate). It happens a lot, which is why we try to get more of a description than just a license plate. So they sent somebody to your house to check it against the rest of the details they had. Sounds like you and your wife nowhere near match the description of the suspects, so I imagine you won't hear anything else about it.

Funny story...10 years ago when I was in FTO, I was in working with my training officer in the car. A call came in for the county to go check for a car wanted in conjunction with a hit and run down in Lafayette, which is about two hours away. The plate info they had matched my car...which had been parked in my garage all day. Just to cover all the bases, I drove up to my house and showed my training officer the car. He confirmed there was no damage, and that was the end of it.

Posts: 8586 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Many years ago while in the military and in the middle of a 6-month deployment, out of the blue I received a speeding ticket with an attached red light camera picture of the tag.

When I was 19 or so I still lived with my parents in Northern NJ, about 30 miles outside of NYC. They went on vacation to Mexico for a week. My dad had a nicer car than me, so me and a friend took his truck to Manhattan one night when they were gone (my dad didn't care if I used his truck). About 6 months later my dad asked if I took his truck. I told him I did. Apparently I got a parking ticket while I was in NYC, although it was not left on the windshield. If I had seen it, I would've paid it.

He said he received a parking ticket in the mail and was going to fight it. He could prove he was in Cancun at that time! He was all ready to send them all kinds of paperwork showing he was out of the country at the time of the infraction. I think he was a little disappointed when I told him it was me as he was ready to fight it!

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What Pyker said.

He was following up on a partial tag....the kitten thing might be legit case info or he threw it out there to see a reaction.

I wouldn’t worry

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Very common type of follow-up. We probably send a dozen such out a shift across my city.

Eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable. It's like a game of "Telephone". I agree, partial plate or incorrect plate.

I'm sure the detective genuinely appreciates your time, he can cross a name off his list and keep on after the more likely suspects.

As far as license plate readers...not really. They are really only good for saying a certain plate was at a certain place at a certain time. But there are usually multiple routes to any given location, and sometimes the readers aren't working. Unless your plate hit on a reader somewhere else at around the same time, making it impossible for you to be at the scene.

What's really a killer is temporary plates. Paper tags or whatever is used around you that aren't registered with the DMV. Some crooks will keep one on hand and put it on when they do their dirty...and they don't hit on license plate readers at all. Aggravating.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. A witness probably just mis-read a license plate and ended up giving them your number by mistake (or as has been previously suggested, they only got a partial plate). It happens a lot, which is why we try to get more of a description than just a license plate. So they sent somebody to your house to check it against the rest of the details they had. Sounds like you and your wife nowhere near match the description of the suspects, so I imagine you won't hear anything else about it.

Funny story...10 years ago when I was in FTO, I was in working with my training officer in the car. A call came in for the county to go check for a car wanted in conjunction with a hit and run down in Lafayette, which is about two hours away. The plate info they had matched my car...which had been parked in my garage all day. Just to cover all the bases, I drove up to my house and showed my training officer the car. He confirmed there was no damage, and that was the end of it.

^^^^^This. Or he knows you have an illegal SBR and its sitting on your pallet or cocaine. Wink

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Sent you an e-mail

Posts: 4502 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I worked in IT in the DMV forty years ago. We routinely ran searches against the Registration database with little more than make, model and color.

Whatever was a hit for the search parameters was given to the police. They got the exact vehicle details and owner information and would decide which ones were something they might want to investigate.

They were probably just running down some matches that were close to the description they got from the witness and passed to the DMV.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
They had a partial plate or no plate at all. The DMV database has 50 or so similar cars in the vicinity and they decided to talk to you to see if it was in fact your car involved in the crime. They likely crossed you off the list and do not consider you a suspect. The detective went down the road to the next house with the same registered car and asked them the same set of questions.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post