SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If Unsolved Mysteries was Southern - or barbecue is NOT a verb
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If Unsolved Mysteries was Southern - or barbecue is NOT a verb Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Big Grin

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZzdpBcVee4

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Sadly, many people don't know the difference between barbecue and grilling. There needs to be some type of outreach program to help. Especially for the chirrens.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Pretty good.

He probably puts beans in his "chili," too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can bet what kind of tea he served up at his “barbecue”

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I went to college in New England.

It only took one disappointment to learn that up there, "barbecue" means grilling hot dogs.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:

Them's fightin' words.

Texas has good barbecue and doesn't serve tea that ought to be drizzled over pancakes instead of put in a glass.

Smile

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Out here at Lake Tahoe, most all folks are from NOCAL. Yep, when they say "barbecue" they really mean "grilling". Alas, I try to correct them; to no avail. They reply that "grilling" or "cook-out" must be southern slang for "barbecuing." But they really like my smoked ribs.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, I live in Texas (37 years now) and I think "barbecue" is both a verb and a noun--it depends on how it's used in a sentence. As a noun, it means the meat itself, or a gathering of folks to eat it; as a verb, it refers to the cooking process. (It can also act as an adjective when describing the sauce used.)

Different parts of the country apply different default meanings to the word, and there is no profit in exacerbating the differences. "When in Rome...."

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Difference in a Yankee and a damn Yankee.....
Damn Yankee won't go home ... lmbo
(I'm originally from Mississippi)

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:

The way I had it explained to me....
If you were born in the North, you’re a yankee. When your visiting or traveling through, you’re a damn yankee. If you move down here, you’re a yankee SOB. Smile

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:

The way I had it explained to me....
If you were born in the North, you’re a yankee. When your visiting or traveling through, you’re a damn yankee. If you move down here, you’re a yankee SOB. Smile

Yankees are like hemorrhoids. The mildly irritating ones come down, but go back up. The really bad ones come down and stay.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was born in Arizona but only lived there my first year. Most of my upbringing was in and around Detroit, Michigan. From age 22 through 42 I was in USAF and traveled all over. After retirement I settled in Dallas, Texas, where I've lived now for 37 years. I consider myself an adopted Texan, although my speech patterns don't reflect it (I still sound like a Detroiter). I love my adopted state and all it represents. Call me anything you like--I have a thick skin.

tanner, I find it interesting that you used the correct "you're" 3 times in your sentence and the incorrect "your" once.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some folks just can't be edumacated about Bar-B-Que!!

Posts: 6719 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I was born in Arizona but only lived there my first year. Most of my upbringing was in and around Detroit, Michigan. From age 22 through 42 I was in USAF and traveled all over. After retirement I settled in Dallas, Texas, where I've lived now for 37 years. I consider myself an adopted Texan, although my speech patterns don't reflect it (I still sound like a Detroiter). I love my adopted state and all it represents. Call me anything you like--I have a thick skin.

flashguy

flashguy, my post was purely humor. I was repeating an old joke, and I don't mean a word of it. Smile

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure they've sold barbecue grills for a very long time. It's going on today as we speak. Eek

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8564 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Any cooking over some kind of open flame is barbecue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't care what you call it or how you cook it as long as it tastes good.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20081 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I suspect the wife is a Damn Yankee as well. She's just better at hiding it.

But she revealed herself as an imposter when she wore a dark shirt in case she got some sauce on it.

Sauce.

Ah HA!

Real BBQ doesn't need sauce. Big Grin

Posts: 33111 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

Them's fightin' words.

Texas has good barbecue and doesn't serve tea that ought to be drizzled over pancakes instead of put in a glass.

Smile

Preach it!

Posts: 526 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Any cooking over some kind of open flame is barbecue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue

Wikipedia headquarters is in San Francisco! Razz Big Grin

FYI guys, this is a joke. The video is a humorous presentation based on the fact that no one in the south calls cooking out hotdogs on a grill 'barbecuing'. I've lived in the south my entire life and this is a fact. Obviously, up north, they refer to any outdoor cooking as barbecuing. I know this is true as well because my wife grew up about 20 miles outside of Chicago. She has relatives who have retired down here who invite us over for 'barbecues' often. At no time has actual barbecue been served! Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post