SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pizza Fail!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pizza Fail! Login/Join 
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted
So this new "Chicago's Pizza with a Twist" place opens up in Plainfield, IN (suburb of Indy) very close to my favorite local place which serves Western New York style (Buffalo/Niagra area) pizza and wings.

Now, I grew up in Chicago, and the first rule of any pizza place outside of the Chicago area (or greater IL in some cases like Champaign/Urbana) that calls itself "Chicago-something" is that they are nothing like real Chicago style pizza.

So I looked the place up, found it's a franchise, and it's about 7500 miles away from Chicago Pizza...

Check the menu, Indian pizza. I haven't even seen anything like this in India and I've been there three times.

https://www.chicagospizzatwist.com/home

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Interesting...definitely not Chicago style! I'd probably eat it, though. What's the name of the local place that you like? I'm in Plainfield from time to time for work, and I'm always looking for good places to eat.

Posts: 9186 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Interesting...definitely not Chicago style! I'd probably eat it, though. What's the name of the local place that you like? I'm in Plainfield from time to time for work, and I'm always looking for good places to eat.

La Spada's Pizza on north side of 40 between Dan Jones and Perry. I've had a Buffalo-area native vouch for the Pizza, and also I took a day trip to the Buffalo area less than two weeks ago...

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
It doesn't even look like Chicago pizza, either the real Chicago pizza (thin crust), or the tourist pizza (deep dish).

Posts: 8275 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pizza Fail!

Unusual to be sure, but why dismiss it out of hand?

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
If you're going to call yourself "Chicago Pizza", then at least get it close!

Tandoori, Tikka Masala, Curry, and Naan Pizza are derived from Indian food.

Call the place "Mumbai Pizza", "New Delhi Pizza", or "Bangalore Pizza", not Chicago. They had to add "Indian" to the sign because too many people went in for "Chicago" Pizza and had no clue what they were looking at on the menu.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Naan Pizza
They should call it Non-Pizza

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want a fail, check out the Nutrition specs. All family, all meat, 360 calories for the entire pizza. Seven grams of saturated fat and 9,350 mg of sodium.

So, what we have here isn't a pizza, it's a Salt Block with some pizza toppings and not very many toppings if it's only 360 calories. BTW, one single slice of your average sandwich bread has 70 calories in it. IMO 360 calories PER SLICE might be accurate but 360 calories per pizza is complete fiction. Note, if the listing is actually by slice that means that there is about 1.5 TABLESPOONS of SALT in EACH slice of that pizza.

Sum it all up and it's another lousy chain pizza that is only notable due to the excessive use of salt. In addition it also looks like one of those cheap pizza's sold by the slice at a cheap carnival, and those taste really lousy.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Chicago pizza died 15 years ago when Gino's on Rush St. closed. It was replaced by Barney's of New York which just closed a few months ago when Barney's went Chapter 11.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Ever see all the “Philly Cheesesteaks” being made around the country? Well, they’re mostly all trash.

It’s really not a hard thing to make...yet people screw it up by putting their own spin on it. At least don’t put “Philly” in front of it.

I travel a lot and usually try a “Philly Cheesesteak” when I’m not in Philly... just so I can have something to get angry about Big Grin

I think the best one I’ve ever had outside of Philadelphia, was on a beach in St Maartan. It was really greasy and the bread was really good. The view wasn’t bad either.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are very few places by me that make a Chicago style pizza. The last one,"deep dish", I had was many years ago and was not right. They used a traditional NY style dough instead of the flaky crust. I didn't realize it until I got home. It was horrible. I guess the only way I will be able to get one is to go to the source.

Posts: 7057 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The worst pizza fail that I know of:

In the ‘70s, a friend of mine lived in an apartment which had shag carpets everywhere, including the kitchen. Roll Eyes

Taking a pizza out of the oven, his wife dropped it. It fell topping-side down of course (the jelly bread law). They never managed to get the cheese entirely out of the carpet.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Ever see all the “Philly Cheesesteaks” being made around the country? Well, they’re mostly all trash.

It’s really not a hard thing to make...yet people screw it up by putting their own spin on it. At least don’t put “Philly” in front of it.

I travel a lot and usually try a “Philly Cheesesteak” when I’m not in Philly... just so I can have something to get angry about Big Grin

I think the best one I’ve ever had outside of Philadelphia, was on a beach in St Maartan. It was really greasy and the bread was really good. The view wasn’t bad either.

I think I ate at that place on St. Maarten!

I've ordered Philly Cheesesteaks in the midwest and gotten something with Swiss Cheese (I hate Swiss Cheese). That would be a Philly Beef and Swiss.

How hard is it to look up the correct recipe and name things what they are? We do have the internet now...

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
My wife grew up in Chicago.

Deep dish pizza is Chicago pizza, because it is (was) unique to Chicago. At least good deep dish is still unique to chicago. To say that "real" chicago pizza is thin crust, is a bit boring don't you think? That just means chicago has the same pizza as everywhere else...

Deep dish is delicious, why be in a hurry to disown it? Uno's is tourist/commercial pizza, not real deep dish.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
My wife grew up in Chicago.

Deep dish pizza is Chicago pizza, because it is (was) unique to Chicago. At least good deep dish is still unique to chicago. To say that "real" chicago pizza is thin crust, is a bit boring don't you think? That just means chicago has the same pizza as everywhere else...

Deep dish is delicious, why be in a hurry to disown it? Uno's is tourist/commercial pizza, not real deep dish.

Chicago thin crust is unique to Chicago. It's not the same as New York, St. Louis, or anywhere else. Nobody is disowning deep dish, and it may be unique to Chicago, but thin crust is what people in Chicago eat. Here's a couple articles that might explain it better.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...303250084-story.html

https://thetakeout.com/chicago...-dolinsky-1830006453

Posts: 8275 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
No where on their website do they tell me why I should eat one of their pizzas vs. someone elses, nor what the various pizzas are (other than the toppings).

What is the crust supposed to be like?

What's a "traditional" pizza? I guess they don't sell thin.

Way too much salt - some have over 8 teaspoons.

Not a chesse pizza anywhere to be seen?

I grew up in Chicago and vastly favor thin. Deep dish is ok once in a while.

I don't see anyone trying to replicate their recipe on pizzamaking.com. In fact, not a mention of them.

No thanks.

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

La Spada's Pizza on north side of 40 between Dan Jones and Perry. I've had a Buffalo-area native vouch for the Pizza, and also I took a day trip to the Buffalo area less than two weeks ago...

That does look good! I know where I'm going next time I'm in town!

Posts: 9186 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And pineapple on pizza is heresy!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought Chicago style was a deep dish with sauce on the top. When I hear thin crust I always think of St.Louis.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
been all over but have never visited Chicago, i'm holding out until that happens to try some authentic Chi-style pizza. Had some delicious pizza in Detroit but can't remember the name of the place.
Shout out to King's Inn Pizza in Eden NC. Pie of my adolescence!!

Posts: 220 | Location: NC | Registered: February 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post