SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I want to buy a rice cooker
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to buy a rice cooker Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Mrs DF is as Asian as can be and has the collision record to prove it. (lolol). She has a zojirushi made in Japan. It was not cheap like the Chinese Walmart specials. It’s a really nice unit. You could save money if you buy a Tiger rice cooker. They are also made in Japan. Make sure you check the power cord that it works with American 110v

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've collected a few. Tiger, Instapot, Zojirushi.

The Tiger was basically foolproof. The only time I ever had a problem with it was when the rubber seal in the lid failed (after about 20 years).

I've had some success with Instapot and Zojirushi, after experimentation with recipes. I can make decent rice in any of them. But for me, the Tiger was super easy and always gave me great rice. 2 cups or 10.

One of our favorite things to do was make 10 cups of rice 2 days before a party. Put it in the fridge. Use to make fried rice day of the party, put it back in the rice cooker and let it sit and get hot. Not sure anything tastes better at 3am when you're half in the bag and need to get something in your belly. Always a hit with guests.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
For the love of all that is holy, please do NOT wash or rinse your rice!

You're going against the grain with this admonition.

There are plenty of reasons why you should, why should you not?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
We had a Zojirushi years ago, but it stopped working after maybe a dozen years, it replaced a cheap National one my wife inherited from her mother. We ended up getting a programable Tiger one and it still works after 15 years (also an 8 cup Tiger for large groups). We primarily use it for Japanese short grain rice, I still prefer cooking long grain, jasmine, and Basmati rice in a pot on a stovetop, to me, a foolproof method. We ALWAYS rinse white rice (but never brown or wild rice), rinse it until clear. Water ratios differ; long grain is 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup of rice, and jasmine and basmati is 1.25 cup of water. Dash of salt, bring to a boil, and cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Perfect every time. I'll usually add butter to basmati, also to long grain if I'm making a flavored rice (Mexican, pilaf, etc).

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16710 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got tired of overcooked, undercooked, stuck to pan, etc. I cook rice the same way I cook pasta. Fill pot, bring to boil, add rice, boil 10 - 15 min depending on type of rice, strain, serve. Blasphemous maybe but perfect every time.

Posts: 652 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Once as an experiment I washed a pot of Japanese white rice for like half an hour, but didn't tell anyone. Family members asked me why the rice that day was so fresh and tasty. One actually came into the kitchen and remarked how fresh the rice smelled.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16369 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've only used Zojirushi (made in Japan models only; others need not apply). Can other devices work? Sure. But Zojirushi has always worked reliably and superlatively for extended durations and have never given me cause to consider anything else. To me, they are the standard to be measured against.

It's been said that there is no longer a need to rinse modern rice (at least from Japan; not sure this applies to rice from chicom or other third world country). Not sure about CA rice. There is also rinsing vs letting the rice soak in water for period. Soaking is pretty good, rinsing is optional.

But I still rinse my rice. Yes, it may make it less glutinous by rinsing off starch. But in my mind, the rice keeps longer in the fridge after being cooked. I only buy rice (brown, haiga, white) from Japan and then CA if the Japan rice is not available (rarely). Wild rice is domestic though (lindberg brand?). I also use filtered water for cooking rice.

BTW, there was a tv documentary about how rice cookers were invented (by Toshiba?). Pretty interesting. I think it was either Project X or The Professionals (both Japan TV series).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tiger, Zojirushi and the newer Cuckoo (yeah...I know Roll Eyes) are the 3 common brands I have used and seen in our Asian friends' kitchens. Auto rice cookers are either conventional or pressurized type. The higher the price, the more features like keep warm and different rice type cooking mode as well as making congee and glutenous rice.

I concur with kkina that rice must be washed. This is applicable to Asian short grain rices - Jasmine and Japanese sushi. I do not cook long grain rice so I can't comment on that. I my house, you will get excoriated at the dinner table for not washing the rice. Also soaking your rice for about an hour will make the rice softer and more flavorful. This is more noticeable with a conventional rice cooker.

Water to rice ratio is always 1:1 regardless of cooking method. A little less water if you prefer your rice "al dente." The Mt. Fiji/knuckle/index finger method have never worked consistent for me.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
Growing up Louisiana my mom always used the one button basic rice cooker and it did the job just fine every time and she never wanted anything more. After one weekend visit with me and her cooking me all my back home favorites, she fell in love with my Zojirushi and bought one upon returning home. You can look on their website to learn more about the three technology types they sell, how they operate and what all different things they cook to see which you prefer. I have one of their basic Micom models (which is in the price range you mention) and it works perfect every time. The model I have is 10 years old and still looks and operates like brand new, but its equivalent model would be this one. It’s a 3 cup model, but they make a 5 cup variant of each type as well, just look to make sure you get the one you want.

If it ever dies, I’ll buy another immediately.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Zojirushi is Japanese and makes an excellent product. I woulds suggest the smallest and simplest version they offer.

Rice 1/1 with water? This must be for white rice because the long grain brown rice I use calls for 2 cups water to 1 cup of rice and it needs to cook for 45 minutes.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7104 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Rice 1/1 with water?
Sorry, this is a typo

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Mrs DF is as Asian as can be and has the collision record to prove it. (lolol). She has a zojirushi made in Japan. It was not cheap like the Chinese Walmart specials. It’s a really nice unit. You could save money if you buy a Tiger rice cooker. They are also made in Japan. Make sure you check the power cord that it works with American 110v

Hopefully the new house has a wider berth garage. Big Grin

Add me to the Zojirushi camp. In fact I think Uncle Roger may possibly have the same model as me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
We use an Insta-pot

Yep. Works just as well as my rice cooker, but much faster. Use 1 cup of water per 1 cup of (well rinsed) long grain white or jasmine rice. Cook on Manual High Pressure for 3 minutes (note: not the Rice setting). Leave at pressure 10 minutes. Release pressure. Fluff and serve.

My old rice cooker just collects dust now. While it does a good job, it takes ~45 minutes, and only has one use. The Instant Pot does it about 3x as fast, and can be used for dozens of other things too.

This, but we usually let it cook until the pressure pin drops.
We also add salt & a bit of butter before starting it.
1 cup water / 1 cup Jasmine rice [rinsed].

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15347 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
deal now...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9...ookware_B0711FMN8M_0

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a Tiger, have had it for years, works great

I use only Jasmine rice, I rinse it twice, add the water to cover, and let it stand in the pot for 30 minutes before I press the cook button

perfect every time

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I bought a Zojirushi unit after a previous SF rice cooker discussion.
It has worked great for me and there is no doubt it produces excellent rice. I particularly like the GABA feature.
Recently (after about 5 years) one of the sensors crapped out, and I had to send it for repair. It was quick and easy but a little on the expensive side. As a result I would not recommend these as best economy, but I have had cheap rice cookers that didn't work as well die much quicker. I am still happy with the purchase.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1496 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend bought an Hitachi brand rice cooker when she lived in Hawaii nearly 50 years ago. It's basic, probably pretty cheap at the time, and we still use it. Twice over this past weekend.

I've never had rice from an expensive cooker, but I'd still advise trying a cheapie before going all Banzai on it.

Walmart has one for about $20 that should do well.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampdog:
Growing up Louisiana my mom always used the one button basic rice cooker...
Yes, this is what my mom had. It was a spring-loaded mechanical button. Press it to cook rice. When time was up, the button clicked off. Simple as could be, and foolproof.

Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by swampdog:
Growing up Louisiana my mom always used the one button basic rice cooker...
Yes, this is what my mom had. It was a spring-loaded mechanical button. Press it to cook rice. When time was up, the button clicked off. Simple as could be, and foolproof.

That’s the one. As they got harder to find in stores she’d call me up to get her one online because she didn’t want anything complicated. Big Grin It’s all she used for half a century. When using mine the first time she was all “the trick is put water a little below the line or I use the knuckle trick” and I had to tell her “no, you simply fill to the line mark and it can even adjust to a bit too much or too little.” At the end again she says you have to let it sit 10 mins to finish steaming and again I had to tell her “no mom, when it beeps it’s already gone through all stages and is ready”. After everything and trying it she said just order me one.

I saw you mention your ol teen stomping grounds in a thread back in the day Para where I think you posted a picture. I grew up just down the road in CP.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, laissez les bons temps rouler!