SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycle Wrencher; some help please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle Wrencher; some help please Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
I was replacing the battery on my motorcycle and I slide it halfway out and was removing the cables when I heard the distinct sound of a metal part bouncing off of other metal parts on its way through the bike and onto the floor. when I finished removing the battery I found this under the bike:

it looks like a sleeve for a bolt but I cannot find where it should go.

The bike is a 1999 Honda VT1100T Shadow ACE Tourer.
The battery sits behind the left side cover and the sound as it fell came from behind the battery cage, maybe a bit to the left which would put it just behind the engine. it bounced a few times so it had to be higher up.

I have pulled the right side cove and the seat but I cannot find any loose or missing bolts, nuts, brackets, or holes where something should be.

I went online and looked at the parts breakdown drawings and the parts I found that might be it all look like they are there.

I have considered going up to the local Honda shop and talking to the service guys but over the years I have found this shop to be mostly worthless. Still it might be worth the shot.

Any suggestions?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3900 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Is it possibly a spacer for the battery cable? Did you notice if the terminal/cable end was flush against the post on the battery before you removed the bolt?

Posts: 7353 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
Is it possibly a spacer for the battery cable? Did you notice if the terminal/cable end was flush against the post on the battery before you removed the bolt?

It's not, the cables sit flush on the terminals.

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."

Posts: 3900 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
It appears to be a sleeve that goes into a rubber grommet so when the bolt is tightened the rubber is not fully compressed. This would be typically used for items that need to have some movement so vibration won't crack the mounting.

Check the mounting for the fuel tank to the frame right under the front of the seat.

Posts: 5201 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
It appears to be a sleeve that goes into a rubber grommet so when the bolt is tightened the rubber is not fully compressed. This would be typically used for items that need to have some movement so vibration won't crack the mounting.

Check the mounting for the fuel tank to the frame right under the front of the seat.

I just pulled the tank to check. Not it but thanks for the idea.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
It appears to be a sleeve that goes into a rubber grommet so when the bolt is tightened the rubber is not fully compressed.

It sure looks like that to me. If not the gas tank, look for something isolated from the frame on rubber grommets, say, an air filter box, an electrical component or something of that nature. You may not have dislodged it. It may have gone astray from a previous service and been unnoticed until now.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1999 Honda VT1100T Shadow ACE Tourer

Part #11?

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-...0t/o/m151432#sch2668

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may be the fuel tank setting collar Fuel Tank Setting Collar

Posts: 89 | Location: Northern California | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a 1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT that I have pretty much stripped down to the frame, motor, and wheels and am wondering how many bolts I'll have left when it goes back together.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Looks more like 20 in this one - but you said you took off the tank - was it in there? (maybe fell out from previous work and was caught somewhere?)

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-...00t/o/m151432#sch783

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I think it is the sleeve for the rubber grommet for the left side cover.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we have a winner!

Technically Shifferbrains called it, the failure to recognize his genius is on me. Laraj had the correct part but 2012BOSS302 post of the link to the parts breakdown made me go back out and pull the tank again.

Turns out that when I checked it earlier it did not fit, the collar is too long for that application, which would happen over time if you tightened the tank down without the collar to keep the rubber spacer from compressing. I had looked at some of the Parts Breakdowns but did not look at the fuel tank breakdown that 2012BOSS302 posted.

I ordered a new rubber spacer and will get it all to rights when it comes in.

the strange part is that the last time I had the tank off was when I replaced the wiring harness for the turn signals/horn/headlights which was over 2 years ago. That collar was sitting up in there probably behind the battery.

Thanks all for the help and for once again proving that the forum can do anything.

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Glad you found it's home.

Posts: 5201 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post