SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    House building project cost in your area/neighborhood
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House building project cost in your area/neighborhood Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
What would it cost to build a 1500 sq. ft. 3/2 single level home with an attached 650sq ft two car garage in your area.

Lets call it a nicely built home. Not extravagant. But not a cheapy either.

Land not included.

Septic and shallow (Under 100') water well. Grid power.

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
$300k out here in eastern WA sounds about right — just a wild ass guess.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
$300k out here in eastern WA sounds about right — just a wild ass guess.

Thanks Cope, That is a good number. This is a family member project and not all the far from you. I appreciate it.

posted Hide Post
I can buy a brand new 3/2 or 4/2 house from a developer about what you’re describing in a development HOA on a 6-8k foot lot for 300ish maybe 325 for the 4 bed Comes with land and public utility water/power. That includes land and a healthy profit for the publicly traded builder.

I would guess a local independent custom home builder and the homeowner who already owned the land and had off the shelf plans could do it for quite less

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
current home - $220/sq foot. Northern IL

previous home sold in 2021 - $1400 sq/ft. Colorado mountains. This has gone up since.

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completed a 2400sf ranch style home with a 3 car garage approximately 1 year ago. Full unfinished walk out basement. This was on 10 acres. Septic is included in this amount as well as running 90' of water line into the house from a well. My cost was in the $230 per square foot cost.

Posts: 23 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: July 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
$PSF will probably start at $200 and go up from there depending on the design and lot conditions.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6321 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you ask for the cost to build, is that if you are acting as the general contractor and are building it yourself or hiring someone to build it for you?

average $210 to $250 a sq/ft to build.

average $260 to $300 a sq/ft delivered.

Lots of pricing factors and local codes can make a big difference.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think closer to 350

Posts: 1805 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My 2020 construction 1700 sq. ft. 3/2 with 2 car garage is currently worth ~$330k, including the quarter acre lot. So take out the cost of the land, and drop the square footage a little, and ~$250k sounds about right for a SWAG for a similar 1500 sq. ft. house alone around here.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Even in the rural south, those numbers are in ballpark. We have been working on plans for a house a year now and when we finally got estimates back damn near threw up.

It was $177/ft for everything "under-roof) which includes 3-car detached garage 30x12 porch, etc. Entire project cost spread over living space was $265, but of course the detached garage drives that up some. None of this includes lot which we own. Does include septic, $10,000 tear down, small concrete parking pad, but still.

Realize in today's market that isn't awful, but far more than we had budgeted for. Of course we had swollen up the house a bit too, but not a ton. Currently reconfiguring a bit, dropping one bay and pad, going to shingle roof, etc.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12420 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
I think closer to 350

Same here. In Illinois or Missouri it’s going to be be between $350-$400. A neighbors house that is 1800sqft on a bigger lot with a 3 car garage was just built for $529k.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
I think closer to 350

Same here. In Illinois or Missouri it’s going to be be between $350-$400. A neighbors house that is 1800sqft on a bigger lot with a 3 car garage was just built for $529k.

That's $294. Does that include the lot or was this a lot they owned? Makes a huge difference in the kind of comps the OP is seeking.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12420 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Inside the DC beltway it is not at all uncommon for someone to buy a perfectly good $650K house as a tear down in order to build a home on the lot that would retail for $1.5M, so as to reap a $500K profit. This would put the build costs near $350K (which would not include things like pouring a new slab, or connection of utilities). Typical lot sizes and zoning dictate max. home sq. footages of 1,500-2,000. Oftentimes, the tear down is a bigger house than its replacement.

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talked to a friend at the lumber yard to find out.
He
Couldn't quote a price but he did say that
85%
Of the materials have come way back down in prices.

Not down to pre pandemic prices but almost.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks for doing that bendable.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
I think closer to 350

That's $294. Does that include the lot or was this a lot they owned? Makes a huge difference in the kind of comps the OP is seeking.

That’s a good point since I’m not for sure. I stopped to talk to him while I was walking a lap around our neighborhood and he just came out with it so it kinda caught me off guard. Lots like his not on a lake are typically around $60k.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I am at, cost per sq/ft is running about $600. Price for existing homes is running about $500-550 sq/ft.

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:
Where I am at, cost per sq/ft is running about $600. Price for existing homes is running about $500-550 sq/ft.

If it’s an existing home doesn’t that include the lot??

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6321 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:

If it’s an existing home doesn’t that include the lot??

Yes, existing home includes the lot in the sq/ft price.

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post