SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You’re Seeing Medical Test Results Before Your Doctor Does. Why?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You’re Seeing Medical Test Results Before Your Doctor Does. Why? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Most of the responders here are discussing blood tests; the examples in the WSJ article that were disturbing were pathology reports. It would be easy to exclude those, as well as imaging studies. The latter are much harder for patients to interpret correctly than are lab tests.

I’ve always been a believer in informed patients sharing decisions, but it doesn’t work for everyone.

I also admit that I hate HIPAA with a passion; it has ended collegial discussion of cases; put locks on all the clinic doors; and made discussion of family issues with the doctor almost impossible. Good intentions once again have led to unintended consequences, with benefits only for lawyers.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I get results from my blood tests in a few days while my next appointment may be 2 weeks out. I doubt the doctor will look at my results before he sees me in person.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19707 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
It's a statistical fact that people who buy annuities live longer than people who buy life insurance.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I personally like the change of getting the results right away. I do my own research on what everything means. Then I look to see what the doctor says later.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
If I see some results that get my attention, I call the doctor. I'll get some sort of explanation from a nurse who either knows the answer or consults with the doc and the nurse gets back in touch.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
You’re Seeing Medical Test Results Before Your Doctor Does. Why?

Nothing wrong with it. A little exaggeration here, but a patient will basically camp out at the laboratory's website refreshing it every 5 minutes for his/her resuts. The doctor has tons of results and other patient care related tasks. It's unrealistic to expect him to call you the instant the results are made available. Much ado about nothing.

^^^^^
Guilty as charged. OK maybe not quite that bad but I get monthly tests and I know what to look for. My nephews are doctors and one of the Miss BB61s is a RN. If I have any questions before my doctor calls, I annoy them. LOL.

I like the early release.

Posts: 12474 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am in favor of that with one exception. In case of a Cancer diagnosis it is much better to hear the news from the doc along with possible treatment suggestions. It is not to soften the blow but rather present treatment options.

That’s going to happen anyway. They don’t give a CA diagnosis and then say “Well, see ya later…maybe.”
I want to see ALL my results ASAP. If I don’t have a complete grasp on what the low, medium or high risk is, I have many trusted sources to consult.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

^^^^^
Guilty as charged. OK maybe not quite that bad but I get monthly tests and I know what to look for. My nephews are doctors and one of the Miss BB61s is a RN. If I have any questions before my doctor calls, I annoy them. LOL.

I like the early release.

Same thing with one of my brothers. Every time he gets his results, he does his research, and he'll consult with me, before seeing his PCP. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26473 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have no problems with the information being on early. If you don’t want the info before seeing the doctor then don’t look. Simple as that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to take my kid for a strep throat test and my wife texted me while I still the exam room it was negative.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also admit that I hate HIPAA with a passion; it has ended collegial discussion of cases; put locks on all the clinic doors; and made discussion of family issues with the doctor almost impossible. Good intentions once again have led to unintended consequences, with benefits only for lawyers.

Agreed. Administrators and their corporate lawyers draft all the rules. We were just the lowly serfs who did the grunt work.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20325 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I'm an ER Nurse and my hospital has MyChart where patient's have immediate access to their results. I'll say upfront, I like informed patients and I enjoy having intelligent conversation with them. That said, we really wish certain patients did not have real time access to their results.

We almost jokingly say we wish there was a time delay on results. In all seriousness, I wish results were not released at least until the doctor writes a disposition for the patient and has time to discuss them with the patient.

Some of the scenarios we face;

Scenario 1, in general happens all of the time, but this individual took it to the extreme.

Answers call light:
"My test results are back why aren't I discharged?"

"Sir, that's just your lab results. You also underwent an MRI and we're still waiting for the official interpretation of that. Once we have that and the doctor writes a disposition, I'll be happy to discuss it and discharge if that's the order."

"But, I want to be discharged now!"

"Sir, I'll be happy to discharge you once I receive orders from the doctor. If you want to leave, I cannot keep you here and I'll be more than happy to bring you the paperwork so that you may leave against medical advice."

"Fuck you! You can't make me stay here!" Patient then calls 911, "Help I'm in the hospital and they're keeping me against my will..."

Scenario 2, happens all of the time and this is a fictional generic description.

Answers call light:
"This number's red what does it mean?"

"Ma'am, you're blood glucose is at 101, normal range is 70 to 100. That is only 1 point out of range and not really worth consideration."

"Am I dying?"

"No ma'am, you're not dying. Like I said, it's only 1 point above normal range and statistically insignificant."

"But why is it red?"

"Ma'am, it's red because it is out of the 'Normal' range, but it's such a small amount that it's not a concern."

"Am I dying? You'd tell me if I was dying, right?"

"Ma'am, you're not dying, it's 1 point above normal range, it's insignificant, it's nothing to worry about...."

Scenario 3, the one I really hate, fictional account but it really happens.

Answers call light:
"The radiologist report states, 'Metastatic colon cancer to liver' what does that mean?"

Never an easy answer to that. Try and be as gentle as I can and explain that I'm just an ER nurse who knows a little about everything and by no means an expert in cancer. Suggest that they save these questions for when the doctor comes in to explain the diagnosis and situation to them. It just really sucks when the patient discovers this for themselves. There's absolutely no way to prevent them from thinking of worst case scenarios before they even know what they are truly dealing with.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11781 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fuck you! You can't make me stay here!" Patient then calls 911, "Help I'm in the hospital and they're keeping me against my will..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You need to add this: OK you can leave but it will be an AMA discharge and your insurance will not pay the bill.

Posts: 17277 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post