SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FBI releases 2016 Crime in the US Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FBI releases 2016 Crime in the US Report Login/Join 
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted
The Federal Bureau of Investigation today released the 2016 edition of its Crime in the United States (CIUS) report, a part of the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports (UCR).

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8760 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Well, after we have seen what lying, deceiving animals they can be (especially their leader comey, I wonder how valid any thing they tell us is.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thats nice and all, but has it been vetted to determine if any of its true?

after all, the FBI seems pretty good at making things up and not solving crimes

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
thats nice and all, but has it been vetted to determine if any of its true?

after all, the FBI seems pretty good at making things up and not solving crimes

Detroit doesn't agree with the stats that's for sure. Police chief and former head of FBI in Detroit are skeptical:

http://www.freep.com/story/new...mes-craig/701889001/

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The FBI stats are only as good as the info fed to them.

For instance, my old department routinely changed a breaking and entering to a motor vehicle with larceny, (which is a felony in NC) to a "Larceny from a Motor Vehicle". (which is a misd.) Thereby reducing the number of felonies turned into the FBI and reporting that the crime rate was "down" or some other such nonsense....

Playing the numbers against other nonsensical dates in history also screws with the comparable crime rate. ie, comparing last months crimes numbers against last years, or last years month solely, or against another month entirely. (comparing last month-August, against "last fall" and using Sept.16's stats)

Trust and believe if my little town figured out how to bamboozle the city council into buying their "stats"; other cities have done the same-nationwide....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I am not inclined to believe anything the FBI has to say. If the FBI told me it is going to be a beautiful day, I'd pull out my storm gear.

After listening to the lying sack of shit that used to run that gang, I don't believe anything they say.

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
The numbers are submitted by the cities, through the states in some cases to the FBI.

The FBI does not come up with the numbers.

quote:
Craig said the FBI's numbers are off, largely because of an old computer system called CRISNET, which was replaced in December [2016?]. Here's how it used to work under the old system: Detroit police entered numbers into CRISNET. The numbers were picked up by the Michigan State Police, who reported them to the FBI.

Unfortunately, Craig explained, some crimes were double-reported under the old system — either through human error or because a crime was mischaracterized.

Then fix your submissions to the FBI. It's not like the FBI wants to publish incorrect data.

The preliminary statistics for 2016 was released in January this year, so I'm assuming there is plenty of time for corrections.

Concerning Rankings
This statement from the FBI has always been included since I started reviewing these reports.

quote:
Caution against ranking: When the FBI publishes crime data via its UCR Program, some entities use the information to compile rankings of cities and counties. Such rankings, however, do not provide insight into the numerous variables that shape crime in a given town, city, county, state, tribal area, or region. These rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that can create misleading perceptions that adversely affect communities and their residents. Only through careful study and analyses into the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction can data users create valid assessments of crime. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual reporting units from cities, metropolitan areas, states, or colleges or universities solely on the basis of their population or student enrollment.

More...
quote:
Historically, the causes and origins of crime have been the subjects of investigation by many disciplines. Some factors that are known to affect the volume and type of crime occurring from place to place are:

Population density and degree of urbanization.
Variations in composition of the population, particularly youth concentration.
Stability of the population with respect to residents’ mobility, commuting patterns, and transient factors.
Modes of transportation and highway system.
Economic conditions, including median income, poverty level, and job availability.
Cultural factors and educational, recreational, and religious characteristics.
Family conditions with respect to divorce and family cohesiveness.
Climate.
Effective strength of law enforcement agencies.
Administrative and investigative emphases of law enforcement.
Policies of other components of the criminal justice system (i.e., prosecutorial, judicial, correctional, and probational).
Citizens’ attitudes toward crime.
Crime reporting practices of the citizenry.

The above are some of the reasons why I never bought into the [sarc]"gun control is working really great in Chicago and D.C."[/sarc] suggestions.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I am not inclined to believe anything the FBI has to say. If the FBI told me it is going to be a beautiful day, I'd pull out my storm gear.

After listening to the lying sack of shit that used to run that gang, I don't believe anything they say.

I'm feeling the same way. If I were ever on jury duty in a Federal case, I'd have a tough time not being skeptical of any evidence they presented.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
The numbers are submitted by the cities, through the states in some cases to the FBI.

The FBI compiles the data. They touch the data and I am being completely serious when I say that that alone is enough for me to not trust the data.

Two years ago, I would not have said such a thing, but then, along came the slithering worm Comey. Whether it's rational or not, I do not trust the FBI to present the truth to us, not even when they're supposedly simply passing it along.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Caution against ranking: When the FBI publishes crime data via its UCR Program, some entities use the information to compile rankings of cities and counties. Such rankings, however, do not provide insight into the numerous variables that shape crime in a given town, city, county, state, tribal area, or region. These rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that can create misleading perceptions that adversely affect communities and their residents. Only through careful study and analyses into the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction can data users create valid assessments of crime. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual reporting units from cities, metropolitan areas, states, or colleges or universities solely on the basis of their population or student enrollment.

IOW, 63.7% of statistics are misleading and the rest are flat wrong.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Until I find/see evidence that the FBI has radically changed its modus operandi, I believe nothing they say.

That whole MCF over the hildabeast and her cohorts convinced me that there is not much, if any, in the federal gubbermint to actually trust.

And "fudging the numbers" is not a new thing either. Been going on for a long time.

Someone once told me that the problem with bureaucracies is that they operate like a septic tank. All the shit floats to the top.

Seems appropriate, especially given the harsh fact that obummer and his ilk had EIGHT YEARS to convert the federal bureaucracy to what we have today.

Trump called it a swamp, and, IMO, that is understating it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
IOW, 63.7% of statistics are misleading and the rest are flat wrong.

....as in, "no intention of being apprehended in making felonious statements" that DNC prosecutors would be unable to overlook....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

The FBI compiles the data. They touch the data and I am being completely serious when I say that that alone is enough for me to not trust the data.

Two years ago, I would not have said such a thing, but then, along came the slithering worm Comey. Whether it's rational or not, I do not trust the FBI to present the truth to us, not even when they're supposedly simply passing it along.

Yup, just because you only receive the data doesn't mean you can't manipulate them. Anyone who simply accepts whatever currently being handed to you as gospel has way too much faith the US government. Look at how corrupt it is, everywhere. The one man who is trying to turn things around and drain the swamp is being stifled in every way possible, not only by the rats and their complicit corrupt media, but also by the maggots of his own party.

Q

Posts: 27627 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree. It is not good info. The cities / states often slant, misreport or under report crime and send it off to the Feds. There has been some friction about types of crimes and how they should be described and classified.
GIGO

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Let me get this straight...

Illinois is known to be a state that prohibits carry and thereby does not have reciprocity with any other carry states.

That said, the two states with the most murders by handgun are California and Texas. Might stand to reason as they are the most populated states. They represented 48% and 43% of all murders in those states, respectively ie. weapon of choice was a handgun.

Yet in IL where you apparently cannot carry and there is no reciprocity, 77% of all murders occurred via a handgun.

How's that working out for you IL!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4503 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
... my old department routinely changed a breaking and entering to a motor vehicle with larceny, (which is a felony in NC) to a "Larceny from a Motor Vehicle". (which is a misd.) Thereby reducing the number of felonies turned into the FBI and reporting that the crime rate was "down" or some other such nonsense....

Trust and believe if my little town figured out how to bamboozle the city council into buying their "stats"; other cities have done the same-nationwide....

Mike is correct. One department I worked for changed classifications around to hide the true amount and type of crime.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post