SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Share your fond memories of the World Trade Center
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Share your fond memories of the World Trade Center Login/Join 
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
My father was an Iron worker...
When he was working there I never heard about it. Years later, as an aside, he had a few stories about when he was there.

A man I was always proud of.

Men of that generation did what they needed to do and probably didn't think much about it. They were a tough bunch.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I took this in 2001 from my boat, I was taking friends on a ride around Manhattan. Fishing out of NJ we always would comment on the towers lighting up in the morning Sun.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3403 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Lunch time, there were many vendors out there with their carts, so you could grab some "street food" and find someplace to sit outside at the WTC and enjoy the people-watching.
You ever tried a Khlav Kalash and wash it down with crab juice?

I love that episode, but don't recall ever seeing it on reruns. There might have been a conscious decision to avoid showing it, given the main plot point involved the WTC. A shame really, because many young'uns don't get my crab juice reference when I see them reaching for a Mountain Dew.

Posts: 2664 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
My future wife and I had dinner at Windows on the World in 1983.
Nice! That's the kind of stories I wanted to have shared here.

Every year, we marked the occasion with solemn ceremony. Which of course is appropriate, but we can also honor it's memories by recalling happy and special moments.

Keep it coming, people.

Posts: 2664 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I was with the Navy during the ‘fleet week’ visit in 1988, I think April. That was my 1st NYC visit. I did go in one of the towers, more so at the lower levels. They were always very distinctive.

We did a family trip when our kids were in the window, 9-10 years ago. We walked around the ‘Freedom Tower’ area. That was an enjoyable trip.

Unless for work, I see no reason to go back.

Posts: 6175 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
John F Kennedy CV-67 late 90's
From the top of the towers, the statue of Liberty looked so small out there over to the left (out of picture to the right as it were)

Posts: 4720 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was replacing a friends submersible pump in his well. When I walked into the house several times during the event, I never thought much about it till the 2nd plane hit. That was when I realized we were under attack.

Going back to replace that pump next week, 20 years has gone by FAST!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I spent 3 weeks in one of the Towers training as a stockbroker for Dean Witter. Something like 1996 or 1997. It was hard to concentrate on the lecturer with the view (I had a seat all the way back in the last row right next to the window.)

I was there doing the same for a month in April 95. World Trade 2, 57 floor.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It took me awhile to find where I had filed this photo of my son. It was taken around 1982 on a visit back to the New York metro area. The view is looking north from the observation deck atop one of the towers, but I don't remember which one. In the background is the Empire State Building on 34th street. The pamphlet my son is holding reads: "The closest some of us will ever get to heaven".

RyanonWTC by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
The South Tower, or World Trade 2 had the observation deck. WT1 had the big antenna.

The Empire State looked like it was only a few blocks away. Eek

I see the paint on the railings were already chipping back in '82. Big Grin

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I wish I could share a fond memory. While living in New Jersey, I was about six when my grandparents took me to New York City. We went to the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and the newly opened World Trade Center. Other than a couple of pictures and a vague recollection of climbing the stairs inside the Statue of Liberty, I have no memory.

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Living here in UK, and never having been to New York, I have no recollections of the Twin Towers. Like many here, I watched in horrified disbelief as it all happened in live TV in front of my eyes.

My most meaningful and poignant memory is knowing that just half a dozen houses down the street, here in far-off rural England, the parents of an up-and-coming young legal advisor to one of the companies in the North Tower had just watched their only son dying on live TV.

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I spent 3 weeks in one of the Towers training as a stockbroker for Dean Witter. Something like 1996 or 1997. It was hard to concentrate on the lecturer with the view (I had a seat all the way back in the last row right next to the window.)

I was there doing the same for a month in April 95. World Trade 2, 57 floor.

Whoa, small world! Yep, 57th floor. Good times, broh.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I visited the WTC circa 1974 or so. I was 13 and all I really remember is that my mom was terrified of heights.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post