SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Poll regarding chiropractic treatment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll regarding chiropractic treatment Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
There's definitely a benefit to it.

Some people start making claims that it cures cancer and other things. I think that's where some mistrust comes into play.

quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I don’t think it’s a scam but I believe the benefits are limited

This.

I've seen a number of new-age, hippie-style chiropractors that try to pass their services off as snake oil cure-alls.

Posts: 33108 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I consider it like physical therapy or massage therapy

Definitely.

I've had desk bound jobs on and off for years, and have had numerous back-and-neck-cracking sessions over 20yrs, much like professional massages. In some cases I've literally left the place standing up to an inch taller.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I've been going for a little more than a year now. I've always suffered lower back pain. Possibly because I'm flat footed or my mild scoliosis. But going to the Chiro has helped alleviate that. Yes it's a temporary fix but my lower back also pops easier on it's own now providing me with more long term relief.

If I don't go for awhile I do notice it though.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Had lower back pain for most of my 20's and 30's off and on usually when I over stressed. Would get excruciating pain that I had to crawl to the toilet. Doctor would prescribe pain killers and muscle relaxants and a week on my back. So I would be drugged up for a week and not working. I would recover fine.

I then tried a Chiropractor. I was dead set against them. The guy used electro shock messaged, heat treatment, and a spinal adjustment. Recovered much faster than the drug method. Now I see him at the first sign of pain and the treatment makes it go away immediately. Not a big fan of the spinal adjustments but his method worked a lot better than the script method. I haven't been laid up for more than a day since I changed approaches.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
lower back pain for most of my 20's and 30's off and on usually when I over stressed.

Most likely you are clenching or grinding your teeth under stress. This causes a muscle imbalance in the upper cervical area, temporarily pulling C1/Atlas partly out of alignment. Sensors embedded in the upper cervical muscle group then give incorrect information to the brain, causing the spine to twist. The result is an uneven load on the spine, increasing pain and causing other problems.

You should probably be wearing a mouth guard at night, to save your teeth from being ground down. Professionally made night guards are much better than the drug store DIY models.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have been to a chiropractor three times in my life, and it has never worked for me. Some people get much relief from them for their particular problems.

I say go ahead and try it to see if it works for you. Good luck.

Posts: 13718 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I don’t think it’s a scam but I believe the benefits are limited and very temporary. A massage from qualified therapist is almost always better and longer lasting.

Very hard to vote on this one. My wife saw a chiropractor once a month for her back. He’d put her back in and a month later she’d be out again. The massage therapist we were seeing referred her to another chiropractor who practices atlas orthogonal and energy work. He got her Atlas squared away and she’s been pretty much dialed in since barring something unusual like falling off a horse.

I think the best answer is that there are some really good chiropractors out there who can do you some real good and some others who are less beneficial.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my 30's I've had 2 great Chiro's, 2 lousy crook ones, and 2 great masseurs sp?.

A good one will know if he should even work on you, I've had them advise against Chiro twice. As I got older my first died and second retired (good ones) won't talk about the bad ones.

A good massage therapist can work wonders, ask around for referrals, it works.

A good one works with muscles, but also with your energy lines, my cousin does it professionally, and you would not believe the feelings he generates as he is working, to me it almost feels spiritual.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Well, I could barely walk a few weeks back due to a back injury and after 2 visits from my chiropractor I was up and dancing.
I guess that puts me in the beneficial camp.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They can be of some use but be careful.

I know of a few cases they have ruptured arteries in patients necks.

One happened to a daughter of an MD and he was so pissed.

She lived, but was hospitalized for a while.

This woman died.

Playboy model Katie May died after a visit to the chiropractor left her with a torn artery in her neck,

https://people.com/bodies/play...r-neck-coroner-says/

Posts: 4784 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
The good ones who understand their limits can be very beneficial. The ones who think they can do anything from repairing soft tissue damage to curing asthma should be avoided.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to work at a hospital in the Radiology Department. I was good friends with one of the radiologists and he told me that he used to not believe in Chiropractic care, however when he had some really bad neck and back problems that not even a regular orthopedic doctor could not resolve. He decided to try a chiro doc. He said that he became a believer after his problems with his neck and back went away after a few treatments. I have met other doctors in the hospital that also said the same. Now for my experience I too am very skeptical and went in onetime for a free assessment. Now I did not tell anything to the chiro doc about me having lower back problems. I was sitting in the chiro chair with me leaning forward and my back towards him, He had this scanner that he used to go up and down my spine. He then got to the area of where my lower back had problems and made a remark saying you got some lower back problems in this area. I then asked him how did he know and he showed me the scan he was seeing. I did not get any adjustments at the time. However I do need to get some now as my back is really bothering me lately. Just sharing my experience. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3094 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Ever see cardiologists hawking their services under canopies at fairs or driving around with magnetic ads on their car doors? Call me a cynic but that doesn’t inspire confidence as far as I’m concerned..

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^You've evidently never been to Florida.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I vote yes but you need the right person who knows what he/she is doing and is not going to stretch out the cure over several sessions.

That said, I've had 5 weekly sessions to treat a single issue.

Best if is your chiropractor office has a masseuse that can massage you before the adjustment treatment.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
I used to work at a hospital in the Radiology Department. I was good friends with one of the radiologists and he told me that he used to not believe in Chiropractic care, however when he had some really bad neck and back problems that not even a regular orthopedic doctor could not resolve. He decided to try a chiro doc. He said that he became a believer after his problems with his neck and back went away after a few treatments. I have met other doctors in the hospital that also said the same. Now for my experience I too am very skeptical and went in onetime for a free assessment. Now I did not tell anything to the chiro doc about me having lower back problems. I was sitting in the chiro chair with me leaning forward and my back towards him, He had this scanner that he used to go up and down my spine. He then got to the area of where my lower back had problems and made a remark saying you got some lower back problems in this area. I then asked him how did he know and he showed me the scan he was seeing. I did not get any adjustments at the time. However I do need to get some now as my back is really bothering me lately. Just sharing my experience. God Bless Smile

I had a similar experience with my first chiro that a co-worker referred me to. Something was wrong with my lower back. She had me lay face down with just my shorts on. Then about a few moments into that, we both spoke up at the same time. I was saying, "it's starting to come up again (the pain)." She was saying, "I see where it is exactly."

That she was able to fix me confirmed she was legit.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I talked with a DO a few years ago who went to medical school with a couple of chiropractors. From what he said, the DC’s said they would never do chiropractic manipulation again after they had completed medical school based upon what they learned. I’ve had Osteopathic manipulation before and I’ve felt it has helped. My DO friend told me there is a big difference between DC manipulation and Osteopathic manipulation. Of course, DO’s are fully trained doctors too which DC are not so you clearly have a higher and better trained medical professional when they work on you.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I had moderate pain in my lumbar region. Orthopedic surgeon took xrays while I was laying down and told me I didn't have a problem.

Still having pain and receiving a coupon for a free chiropractic exam, I saw my first DC. He took xrays with me standing. Xrays clearly showed L5 was displaced forward about 1/4" and one leg was about 1/3" shorter than the other.

After several months of adjustments, twice a week, the pain was gone. I still get an adjustment now and then when the pain returns, but that is usually only every few years now.

My original DC visit was about 1998.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post