SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida Stand Your Ground Amendment Signed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Stand Your Ground Amendment Signed Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
I searched and didn't see another thread so I hope I am not repeating here.

Florida law provides immunity from prosecution if use of force is justified under chapter 776. As a practical matter this would generally apply to use of force outside the home or occupied vehicle, where there is a presumption of fear under the law. The problem was, if justification is not apparent to law enforcement and they believe they have probable cause that a crime was committed, they can arrest and make a charge. If charged, the defendant is entitled to what has been called a stand your ground hearing, where a judge determines if the defendant is entitled to this immunity. The defendant had the burden of proof that he/she was justified in the use of force in this hearing. If successful in a stand your ground hearing the charges are dropped and the defendant can have the record removed.

The change in Chapter 776 signed into law by the governor on 10 June shifts the burden of proof in the stand your ground hearing back onto the prosecution, to prove the defendant WAS NOT justified, thereby bringing the statute more in line with the constitutional principle that you are innocent until proven guilty.

Florida State Attorneys are unhappy about this change in the law, but have themselves and some overzealous law enforcement to blame, for unfounded arrests and prosecutions of people who were acting in self defense.

Florida's stand your ground law has been much maligned and misunderstood as it was, and were it not for the mainstream media's obsession with Russia their heads might be exploding over this enhancement of the law.

Here is the text:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Sessio.../128/BillText/er/PDF

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good move to me.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Sounds like a good move to me.

flashguy

Yep. Sounds good based on the info above.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Freedom keeps winning!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Democrats, Progressives, race baiters and the Tampa Bay Times must be very sad.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Sounds like common sense, for a change.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
That is some great news.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Excellent! One less thing to concern you when you have to respond quickly. Although I imagine in the heat of the moment that's the last thing I would be thinking. Afterwords yep for sure.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Just another reaction by the FL state legislature in response to certain state attorneys intentionally mis-applying the law when filing charges.

This dance has been going on for a few years. Incidental exposure being charged as brandishing as well as drawing and not firing when the threat ceases. You would think the state attorneys would learn but no.

The best part is that FL's gun rights are so much further along thanks to these fools.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Glad to see that they shifted this burden.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great news!

Posts: 1081 | Location: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yep, one more step in the right direction. And as SinZone noted, we can all thank a bunch of arrogant, liberal, state prosecutors for this change.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
excellent

put the burden where it belongs

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
God bless this state!

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fuck the states attorneys, they need to do their jobs and the burden of proof should always be square on the state and their shoulders.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I remember NRA-ILA and Florida groups pushing this through for awhile now. Glad to see it has come to pass.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I was waiting to see if he would actually sign it! Had me worried there for a second.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post