SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any members homeschool their children?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any members homeschool their children? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
So far she is well advanced compared to other kids her age

So honest question, how do you know this? Do you have access to the same tests the school does or is there some standardized test that you're able to use?

I'm truly just curious.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jc91087:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
So far she is well advanced compared to other kids her age

So honest question, how do you know this? Do you have access to the same tests the school does or is there some standardized test that you're able to use?

I'm truly just curious.

She does the same standardized assessment tests as the kids in public school do. From the results they can then tell what grade level they are performing at.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I just read where a Home school girl won the local spelling bee. Beat 28 other HS kids.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A good friend and his wife have home-schooled both of their boys (19 and 15). Both have done extremely well.

Mom, though, has a Masters in Education, so I'm sure that that has helped. She has said that there are plenty of resources out there for folks choosing to do this and would highly recommend it.

Their family is also very active in the local Christian community so there were/are ample opportunities for the kids to socialize, ply sports, etc....

Posts: 20107 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
We homeschool our 10 and 7 year olds, and will homeschool our youngest when she's old enough. My wife quit a successful career in engineering to be home and teach the kids, so it's obviously very important to us. Homeschooling is a vast field of endeavor and no two families do it the same way. That's the challenge and the benefit, you can tailor the education to your kids and family.

The biggest question we asked ourselves when starting out is one that I've seen mentioned several times in this thread - what about socialization? It turns out that it's a complete non-issue. Between our co-op, our Classical Conversations group, church, community theater, sports, art classes, etc., the kids have tons of opportunities for interaction with their peers. All of the same social issues apply as at public school - learning teamwork, making friends, dealing with bullies, etc., but they are done in an atmosphere where parents can make course corrections if bad habits start to develop. In fact, I could argue that homeschool kids are better at socialization than their public school peers, unless socialization means gossiping and forming cliques.

That's not to say that it's all roses. It's a LOT of work when done properly. My wife is much busier at home than she ever was at work. However, I truly believe the benefits have been worth it for our family. Every family is different and every child is different, though, so what works for us may not work for everyone.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
We homeschooled my daughter and she had her associates degree when she graduated high school. If I had to do it over again she would start dual credit classes as a high school freshman instead of doing it when she was a junior. My daughter had straight a’s through grad school with the exception of one class. I would never send my kids to public school if I had more and my daughter plans to homeschool her children when she has them. It takes some discipline but you can give your kids a much better education with some effort on your part. There are other ways to have your children socialize than using public schools too so don’t let that stop you.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post