SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 42

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
And again. I cleaned and put my new 300BLK barrel on my MCX last night. Shooting it this weekend!

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Report This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Quite a bit of IMI M193 came in today.

Stuffing IMI M193 into lancer 30 rd translucent mags x6, placing into home invasion response bag (SOG Responder) . Have tourniquets, abd pads, ace bandages, large zip lock bags (for covering punctured chest wounds that want to suck air) and heavy cloth tape inside. Also Glock 17 magsx2 with GDHP ammo. Will be getting a couple handcuffs for the bag as well (you never know). Good medicine for repulsing home invaders.

SOG responder bag.
https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Spe...8-1&keywords=sog+bag

IMI M193 - Great ammo prices these days. These are the "good ole days." Stock up! Get at least a couple cases!
http://www.sgammo.com/product/...el-military-industri

No, I'm not crazy! Just a hell of a lot better prepared than 6 months ago!

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by awa762:
. . . Will be getting a couple handcuffs for the bag as well (you never know). . .

Suggest that you consider zip ties in lieu of handcuffs (unless you're retired LEO or into really kinky sex).

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
. . . Will be getting a couple handcuffs for the bag as well (you never know). . .

Suggest that you consider zip ties in lieu of handcuffs (unless you're retired LEO or into really kinky sex).

If you do go with the handcuffs, remember they need periodic cleaning and oiling same as a firearm.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I don't believe I will ever need to use it in such a way, but I have my Sig 556 set up in case along with multiple pistols, revolvers, shotguns and PDWs. Its better to have and not need than need and not have.

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quite a bit of IMI M193 came in today.

Stuffing IMI M193 into lancer 30 rd translucent mags x6, placing into home invasion response bag (SOG Responder) . Have tourniquets, abd pads, ace bandages, large zip lock bags (for covering punctured chest wounds that want to suck air) and heavy cloth tape inside. Also Glock 17 magsx2 with GDHP ammo. Will be getting a couple handcuffs for the bag as well (you never know). Good medicine for repulsing home invaders.

SOG responder bag.
https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Spe...8-1&keywords=sog+bag

IMI M193 - Great ammo prices these days. These are the "good ole days." Stock up! Get at least a couple cases!
http://www.sgammo.com/product/...el-military-industri

No, I'm not crazy! Just a hell of a lot better prepared than 6 months ago!

Dude, I want to party with you. Smile
it is heartwarming to see this level of preparedness.Good luck to you.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Thanks mrmn50. I appreciate the kudos!

The kit is like having a fox hole in a bag. Better to have just a tad too much than too little.

It's also good for throwing in a vehicle if an evacuation must occur (i.e., a Katrina type circumstance). Its trauma equipment can be a life saver in the circumstance of road trauma. A valved cpr mask, gloves, and oral airways (2 sizes) are also inside.

The best hope is that its trauma contents can provide that extra little bit of time and life that would allow a trip to the ER to be survived. I've worked in critical care for ~10 years. Therefore, I'm very confident that I can make good use of the equipment if circumstances permit.

A little story to share...

Quite literally the week before Katrina (August 2005), I was traveling on I-12 between Baton Rouge and Hammond. The traffic suddenly stopped. I looked up (I was a passenger) and it was as if someone fell out of the sky and onto the middle of the highway. I was quite literally the first person to run up to the individual. She was hitch hiking, hiding stole away behind the sleeper section of an 18 wheeler. The truck was probably going at least 60+ mph when another driver who witnessed her fall stated that it appeared that she jumped. She tumbled all the way to a stop on the interstate asphalt. Her scalp was pulled back and I do believe that I could see a small portion of her skull. Fortunately, she was already lying on her side in a recovery position with her head lying on her shoulder. She was breathing sufficiently, and could vocalize in response to poking and questioning to see if she was conscious. All I could think at that time with all of the blood dripping off of her face and puddling out of her mouth was "OMG... I hope I don't have to do CPR on this lady." She looked very androgenous, appeared to be dirty/rough and homeless, and had a tongue piercing. I could tell just from looking at her that I'd risk catching something with CPR. I have a strong feeling that she was probably a prostitute. She was hauled off to an ER ~25 minutes later. From what I know, she did survive the trauma.

With the above coming to a point of reflection over the past year, plus my gradual "preparedness" efforts over the prior 12 months, I put together a trauma kit in my trunk to deal with such a thing in case if it (i.e., massive road trauma) ever happened again. Yes, it's a decade later, and I've been graced to not experience a repeat episode while commuting 60 round miles per day, but at least now I'm "more ready" in a road kit department as well. Plus, I zip-tied a serrated Mora knife on my door panel and my Streamlight USB tactical light +/- tactical pen (If I'm wearing underwear, I'm wearing the Streamlight USB), I can cut seatbelts and knock through window glass without much trouble to extract someone if needed (i.e., if their car looks like it wants to blow up). The streamlight is big enough to handle window glass, and I am ALWAYS carrying it.

This is real shit that happens every day "somewhere." It may never be one's turn, or that day can come. If it does, having a minimal set up, beyond which not much more has to be done, can make all the difference. I feel that there is a limit to preparedness, and "prepping" should be done out of proactive abundance and a generosity of will and effort rather than fear. When that "enough" point is reached, no matter what the preparedness endeavor is, I can feel that it's time to just sit back and maintain the equipment, detect as much as possible "left of bang," and be ready to intervene if the situation permits. That's the "sweet spot" of preparedness, IMO. No fear, just be relaxed, pay attention, and be ready.

To and for each and all of us, when that point is reached, then good for us! That's where we should be. We can only prepare for what we're genuinely willing to perform and maintain.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Good story and even better attitude.

Never drawn my gun in defense, but have cracked my EMK on the truck numerous times... For my own family (youngest took a fastball to the face last fall...everyone just stood there. Mad) to a few highway rollovers.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Got home and pulled the M1917 Enfield out of the cabinet. It needs a little TLC, and it's missing the stacking swivel and screw at the top.
Today, 100 years ago, we entered WWI with not enough M1903s. Remington and Winchester went to work, and I think by a bit after the Armistice, they had cranked out 2.2 million Enfields. My grandfather went "over there" in May, 1918.
(edit-Eddystone also produced them under Remington's oversight I believe).

posted Hide Post
Been buying 5.56X45mm NATO ammo almost every payday. Got 840 rounds of M193, on stripper clips. 500 lose M193, 594 rounds of Hornady American Gunner 55gr. HP ( oh does anyone know why Hornady package them in 247 rounds in an ammo box?).

I got at least 500 more rounds of Federal 55gr. FMJ in 20 round boxes. Plus 500 more rounds of Winchester M855 62gr. FMJ penetrator.

I have also been doing some shooting drills. I'm looking into getting some armor, rifle plates. I have soft armor, but I feel that if the S really did HTF that hard armor would be the way to go.

ARman

Banned
posted Hide Post
These posts warm my heart. It really does pay to be ready.

Banned
posted Hide Post
For the last month I have been putting together small, injury specific first aid kits for my car and for my Hazard 4 Smuggler bags, which will be stocked with two M4 rifles plenty of 5.56 9mm ammo in mags and whatever else I feel like that will not duplicate what is in my get home/bugout bag.

I do not need monster puncture or blunt trauma bags as I already have those made up for use as needed.

A lot of fun is being had setting up the FAKs and the Smuggler bags. The problem is that I really only need one bag so I will probably end up selling one.

Gear wise, it is making me nuts that we are set up for SHTF and do not need anything else, really. I have a habit of making myself crazy.

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
With recent events - all the more reason to keep alert - and prepared.

Keep buying while prices are low - wait for this "noise" to pass..................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4579 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I found this on Page 10.

The constant drumbeat of the leftist media, antifa, and #blm is worsening as summer progresses.

Do your PT, practice with your primary carry gun, watch your 6.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
DAMN it. I should have known better.

There was indeed an armed standoff, but it bore no relation whatsoever to the rumor I based my post on.

It ended well, no one hurt.

My apologies for violating Para Rule Number 1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Rifle is clean, what I needed and started was some physical training, eating a bit better, and overall better fitness.

I went through so many years of being under employed, crappy food, depression, etc. it really took a toll on my body; time to get back into fighting shape.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Report This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
This morning I cleaned my rifle.

Before the parade, before the back-yard grilling and the chit chat about what's up and what's not, I cleaned my rifle.

I was up early drinking coffee outside and listening to the birds and it seemed like the right thing to do today as a reminder, as well as an homage, was to clean my rifle. I have several, but when I speak of 'my rifle', it's an M1A Scout Squad, the rifle that separates me from the serfs as well as the free-range crazies.

So today, I cleaned my rifle and this afternoon I will welcome guests and talk about frivolous things.

Have a Delightful Independence Day.

Posts: 6395 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Today I cleaned 5 of my rifles.. but it was because I let about 50 kids shoot them and have the best time they could... shooting 10/22's They were all very safe and respectful.. I could not have been prouder.
After they shot I had one kid help the next and help me watch, I have learned that they pay closer attention when they are helping. And they remember what they were taught.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9072 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Report This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I am almost 46 years out of the Army. What are you guys using to lube your AR's with these days?

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Today I have four rifles to clean. Went shooting in a foursome with two new shooters and a rookie. I really enjoy introducing people to the shooting sports. It recruits people to the hobby and practicality of self defense who would otherwise likely not do so until too late. My rookie friend who has been shooting about a year was able to see by comparison how far he has come from his first outing. Great fun had by all. Only cost me 300 rds of ammo and some clay targets.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post