SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 42

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
the FAL probably needs some lube.

RMD

Not any more.

All report ready for the rioting "youts".

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
"Scope hammered". Getting whacked by the scope during recoil. Tends to cause a flinch in those who have experienced it.

Thread is a good reminder to all of us. The AR is ready, the FAL probably needs some lube.

RMD

Hi RMD,

Great ! Thank you very much ! That makes perfect sense.

No scope to worry about, just a simple optic with laser that should not get near her on recoil.

Thanks, again Smile

Banned
posted Hide Post
This:

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
Adirondack Mtn Guy, The One Stop Shop
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by AdkMtnGuy:
In my experience, women are amazing at picking up and shooting a semi-auto rifle way faster,, more accurately, and more comfortably, than a handgun. They just need to not slouch to support eh weight of the rifle, and not have an idiot teach them to get scope hammered and scare them away from guns totally.

Mr. MacGregor,

Thank you very much for the input. I shall do my best to make sure she has good posture when holding the rifle. Perhaps she can lean into it a bit ? I will also try hard to not be an idiot. I do not think she is afraid of them, having fired full autos in Thailand. Please can you explain "scope hammered" ? Sorry, but I am not at all familiar with the phrase. Thanks Smile

Tongue-in-cheek my friend, see the plethora of videos on Youtube for reference. I wasn't alluding to you. Wink Cool

Take Care, God Bless, and be safe!
~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

http://www.MacGregorSpecialties.com
NRA Certified Instructor
Defensive Shooting Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

"Pain is your friend, it lets you know you're still alive and therefore you've still got fight left in you..." -me

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 - New Line of Duty June 11, 2010 - WOOF!
And another one on top, Feb 14, 2012!

Challenge my Brute! http://mac.mybrute.com

Posts: 1695 | Location: Circle of Protection | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tongue-in-cheek my friend, see the plethora of videos on Youtube for reference. I wasn't alluding to you. Wink Cool

Understood, sir.

My tongue was in cheek, also Wink

Did not think you were and it was very good advice. Thanks, again Smile

Adirondack Mtn Guy, The One Stop Shop
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Understood, sir.

My tongue was in cheek, also Wink

Did not think you were and it was very good advice. Thanks, again Smile

The intarwebz are funny with the lack of voice inflection and tone. Thought I'd mention it anyway.

Take Care, God Bless, and be safe!
~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

http://www.MacGregorSpecialties.com
NRA Certified Instructor
Defensive Shooting Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

"Pain is your friend, it lets you know you're still alive and therefore you've still got fight left in you..." -me

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 - New Line of Duty June 11, 2010 - WOOF!
And another one on top, Feb 14, 2012!

Challenge my Brute! http://mac.mybrute.com

Posts: 1695 | Location: Circle of Protection | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
You were right to and I am glad you did Smile

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you for bringing this one back to the top, sir Smile

Making progress with the HD rifle arrangements. At first, my wife thought it was a SMG ! Wink We started talking about us training and her having it for when I am not there and she said, "I don't know how to shoot it." So, I said, "that's why we will train." It's going to take a bit more time...

Carrying every time it is possible. It might mean I am having tea with lunch out on the weekends, but that is a very small matter.

Last Saturday, while we were out trying to run errands, my wife suddenly decided she wanted to have lunch at a Mexican place that a friend told her about. We had previously agreed that if we were to go, then it would be lunch (daytime), rather than dinner (dark), and when we got to that part of Detroit, I was glad of it. It has been a long, long time since being in that area and it looks and feels vastly more like Mexico now, than Detroit. (I have been to central Mexico a few times for work.)

It was a good lunch, but I sort of doubt we will be back again. The place even had a guard in the parking lot, but I was glad to have been carrying regardless.

Working on an arrangement for travel to and from work. With the weather finally getting warmer, it will make that even more of a need.

posted Hide Post
Up. Thanks Para. Thanks SigMonkey for your redirect. Smile

In light of current events I'm walking a little slower so I make better observations of the things and people around me.

Range time is more serious than in the past.

I've been pushing harder in my exercise programs. I carry when I hike but not when I mountain bike, time to start carrying on the bicycle too.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
Picture of colomtn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
Up. Thanks Para. Thanks SigMonkey for your redirect. Smile

In light of current events I'm walking a little slower so I make better observations of the things and people around me.

Range time is more serious than in the past.

I've been pushing harder in my exercise programs. I carry when I hike but not when I mountain bike, time to start carrying on the bicycle too.

Good idea, I saw in the Denver Post there were riots in Denver Wednesday night.

I've been wanting to buy an AR Pistol for awhile, and with all the recent events I pulled the trigger today. (pun intended)

My grandfather voted republican until the day he died, now he votes democrat.

Posts: 4346 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: August 09, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Auxiliaryjohn
posted Hide Post
Not only did I lube all of my rifles and shot guns, I just finished building my AR Pistol.
So...I should be good-to-go. Big Grin

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.
US Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Posts: 2262 | Location: Dothan, AL | Registered: August 14, 2007Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Check out this truck...maybe we could get a group buy? Cool

CREW CAB M923 A2 5 TON BOBBED MILITARY TRUCK

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got an email, CDNN has colt 6920 on sale for $799 this weekend includes 3 mags. Buy your stuff now or encourage others who havent to arm up. Don't complain when you can't get it. That is all

Posts: 4769 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Primary, reload, BUG, reload, flashlight, knife.

10 years ago I didn't carry. 5 years ago I'd have thought a BUG a bit extreme.

Today I ponder strapping on an ankle gun for better access to one while driving, but a man with 3 guns on him would probably be labeled a gun nut in the press. But I guess better to be alive and a gun nut than dead and not.

^^^This. I've always carried spare mags in case of malfunctions, but the extra rounds comfort me in today's world.

Posts: 565 | Location: Gun Town, USA  | Registered: September 13, 2013Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for bringing this one back to the top, sir Smile

Making progress with the HD rifle arrangements. At first, my wife thought it was a SMG ! Wink We started talking about us training and her having it for when I am not there and she said, "I don't know how to shoot it." So, I said, "that's why we will train." It's going to take a bit more time...

Carrying every time it is possible. It might mean I am having tea with lunch out on the weekends, but that is a very small matter.

Last Saturday, while we were out trying to run errands, my wife suddenly decided she wanted to have lunch at a Mexican place that a friend told her about. We had previously agreed that if we were to go, then it would be lunch (daytime), rather than dinner (dark), and when we got to that part of Detroit, I was glad of it. It has been a long, long time since being in that area and it looks and feels vastly more like Mexico now, than Detroit. (I have been to central Mexico a few times for work.)

It was a good lunch, but I sort of doubt we will be back again. The place even had a guard in the parking lot, but I was glad to have been carrying regardless.

Working on an arrangement for travel to and from work. With the weather finally getting warmer, it will make that even more of a need.

That right there is an opportunity you were sharp enough to capitalize on. That is the foot in the door, brother!!! Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Basic off duty load is a Glock 22 with extra mag and a J frame .38 in a pocket. Mossberg 590 in bedroom. I always carried at least a Glock 26 or 27 off duty for years, but have gone to the full size for shootability and capacity. If I have pants on, it is on my belt. Have a Colt A2 20" rifle and about 600 rounds stashed away. I need to properly train with the AR since I have never served in the military and my job does not use rifles of any type.
Mrs. nosigsyet is content with a 4" M10 in the dresser drawer and will not consider getting a CWP. I figure I can pass her the J frame if SHTF while we are out together. A long gun for the car is very tempting, but I can imagine forgetting to bring it in at night and it being stolen. My M94 30-30 comes to mind for such a job....

Posts: 332 | Location: Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: January 24, 2014Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosigsyet:
Basic off duty load is a Glock 22 with extra mag and a J frame .38 in a pocket. Mossberg 590 in bedroom. I always carried at least a Glock 26 or 27 off duty for years, but have gone to the full size for shootability and capacity. If I have pants on, it is on my belt. Have a Colt A2 20" rifle and about 600 rounds stashed away. I need to properly train with the AR since I have never served in the military and my job does not use rifles of any type.
Mrs. nosigsyet is content with a 4" M10 in the dresser drawer and will not consider getting a CWP. I figure I can pass her the J frame if SHTF while we are out together. A long gun for the car is very tempting, but I can imagine forgetting to bring it in at night and it being stolen. My M94 30-30 comes to mind for such a job....

There are a ton of places that train you in the use of the AR.
The two best, I have found are:\\
A. The Magpul AR Series
B. A close second, Sig Shoots. I have picked up a great deal of info at these shoots and have updated some of my military training because of these helpful hints. Of course when I was in,we through rocks at each other.

I may be simplifying point B. But, I have learned a lot at these shoots.
Check the Forum for Sig Shoots near you. Also, posting your state in your profile will cause guys to possibly contact you to let you know about these get togethers.
Best people.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
"Scope hammered". Getting whacked by the scope during recoil. Tends to cause a flinch in those who have experienced it.

Thread is a good reminder to all of us. The AR is ready, the FAL probably needs some lube.

RMD

Hi RMD,

Great ! Thank you very much ! That makes perfect sense.

No scope to worry about, just a simple optic with laser that should not get near her on recoil.

Thanks, again Smile

I have been hammered by scopes a couple of times. Wore the scabs on my nose for a few days.

Typically due to bad position.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
That right there is an opportunity you were sharp enough to capitalize on. That is the foot in the door, brother!!! Big Grin

Thank you! Your kindness and support are always very much appreciated, Kevin Smile

The issue came up, again, when I offered to leave a large pistol out for her to use, if needed. I was leaving to volunteer at a "millionaire party" fundraiser (11pm to 2am shift) for the rescue group that funds the vet care for the animals at the shelter where she volunteers, but she declined.

So, we are now at the, "well, you never take me shooting" point. She has never expressed any interest in going to the range, before.

So, I said, we will go together, next time.

Hmmm, well, patience does pay off... Wink

Guess I better get the pistols cleaned and lubed and get the optics on that rifle, as well as lubing that one for its maiden trip the range Smile

(prolly need to look for a thread on mounting optics in the rifle section, too)