SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DSLR vs Mirrorless
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSLR vs Mirrorless Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I used to be all into micro 4/3s but migrated to a Canon 5d Mk III. I really liked the compactness and technology in M43s. I'm really hoping a full frame eco system like M43s comes about but I'm not holding my breath.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I ventured in the M4/3 arena as well. The problem for me was sensor size and effect on depth of field.

On an M4/3, the crop value is 2x. A 35mm lens gives similar field of view of 70mm and f/2.8 lens is effectively f/5.6.

Less effective for nice subject isolation and creamy blurred backgrounds.

Gave up after a year and a half and went back to DSLR. Haven’t regretted it since.

I agree the mirrorless won’t kill SLR, but offers nice options. I can see myself going to a FF mirrorless and with my investment in Canon L lenses, it would likely be Canon but I am not in a rush will keep an eye on them, hope it progresses and maybe 5-6 years down the road will be ready. Hopefully they will have finally included in body IS by then as well.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11227 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I used to be all into micro 4/3s but migrated to a Canon 5d Mk III. I really liked the compactness and technology in M43s. I'm really hoping a full frame eco system like M43s comes about but I'm not holding my breath.

Because of the larger sensor, full frame mirrorless lenses will always be much larger than equivalent smaller-sensor mirrorless lenses like Micro Four Thirds.

E.g., the M43 equivalent of the common full frame 24-70mm f/2.8 lens is a 12-35mm f/2.8 lens. Not only is the full frame lens twice the focal length, but it also has to cover a much larger image circle.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

E.g., the M43 equivalent of the common full frame 24-70mm f/2.8 lens is a 12-35mm f/2.8 lens. Not only is the full frame lens twice the focal length, but it also has to cover a much larger image circle.

Actually, to be fully equivalent it would need to be a f/1.4 in order to match DOF and that doesn’t currently exist in the M43 world.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11227 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Actually, to be fully equivalent it would need to be a f/1.4 in order to match DOF and that doesn’t currently exist in the M43 world.

Nothing is ever really equivalent. When comparing, I look at shutter speed rather than depth of field because it is more relevant for the kind of photography I normally do.

For that matter, in the other direction, there are people out there who complain about 35mm film cameras and full frame DSLRs not having enough subject isolation because they like medium- or large-format cameras.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in mirrorless, consider Fujifilm. The XT-3 is coming out soon.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
If you're interested in mirrorless, consider Fujifilm. The XT-3 is coming out soon.

I think Fuji has some of the best cameras on the market but I’ve been married to Nikon for over forty years.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I'm still shooting with a Cannon AE1.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I'm still shooting with a Cannon AE1.

No reason to stop using a great camera. I was selling cameras when Canon launched the AE-1. I remember being completely amazed.

I just killed my last Pentax MX. For the moment, I'm out of the film business. Haven't decided if I'm going to get another film camera or not.

A buddy has his grandfathers 8x10 camera. Last time we pulled it out it still worked. The bellows material is getting weak so we may have to replace it.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post