SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Light switch problem?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light switch problem? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
Light bar stopped illuminating a couple of days ago. None of the bulbs came on. The light bar is a collection of incandescent bulbs so no fluorescent ballast or starter problem.
I had decided to start looking for a short until my wife flicked the switch on a minute ago and the lights came on. Now, it works every time.

I’ll tighten all the connections and maybe replace the switch, but in the meantime, has anyone ever seen a light switch having so much wear as to start working sporadically?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, they can wear out just like anything else. Usually they have less resistance when you move the switch when they go bad.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely!

The builder grade switches that are typically installed cost less than a dollar. Put a few thousand cycles on them and they are bound to fail.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I’d feel better if it just stopped working, but now it’s working perfectly.
Maybe it’s time to karma off this very rare ‘self healing’ light switch. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
I’d feel better if it just stopped working, but now it’s working perfectly.
Maybe it’s time to karma off this very rare ‘self healing’ light switch. Smile

Either that or the curse of electronics, the dreaded intermittent!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to laugh when you said the wife flicked the switch on and the lights came on. My first thought was well no shit Sherlock!!

You may find that it is the type switch with push in connectors and those can work loose especially when jamming the wires back in the box.

Posts: 2007 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm horrible at troubleshooting things that work.

I'd pick up a switch, wait til it goes out again, remove switch with power on. If lights turn on while manipulating wires/switch, kill power and replace it. If not check connections on fixture.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is very likely the switch or the the connections in the switch box. I would go ahead and turn power off, replace the $1.50 switch and check all the other wire nut connections in the box then see if the problem reoccurs. Playing with the switch with power on with possible loose connections or defective contacts is not a great idea. Leaving a possibly defective switch in place while statistically maybe ok would make me nervous about possible arcing and fire.

Posts: 2007 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Playing with the switch with power on with possible loose connections or defective contacts is not a great idea

You'd hate my job, I do it every day. The only way to be sure is Nuke it from space., sorry standard answer. Only way is to see what causes it. Otherwise you are just replacing things til you get lucky. It may well be the outlet or switch in line before the affected switch.

Since it's a light switch and can be turned off there is no danger in waiting til it happens again, just don't leave switch on when not home or in the room.

It will not do any harm to just replace the switch and see what happens.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might have poke and stab connections and one is loose. I'd change it ASAP.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I also have seen infestations of tiny ants clog up the internal contacts.

Posts: 4450 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I pulled a kitchen switch to replace it because it was doing the same thing, and found one of the ground wires had come loose. Easy fix.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Light switch problem? Ok, here goes:

3 light switches on the first floor. One turns on a light on the third floor, the other two are dummies. You are allowed ONE trip to the third floor. How do you find out which switch works?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

3 light switches on the first floor. One turns on a light on the third floor, the other two are dummies. You are allowed ONE trip to the third floor. How do you find out which switch works?

Flip all three then go up. Smile

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

Break out the trusty old Fluke meter. No trip to the 3rd floor required. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Get a adapter that changes a screw in light bulb fixture into a two prong plug. Now get a AC powered radio and plug it in, turn it on loud.

Go flick the switch, there you are, audio circuit tester........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Nope and nope. This was a puzzler on Car Talk with Click & Clack decades ago. Think outside the box and try again.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
it has to do with feeling the bulb after one of the switches is in the on position...if the bulb was warm then the number "x" switch is the good one...but I cant remember the rest of the solution.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Winner winner chicken dinner!
1) assume all switches are off.
2) turn on 2 switches, leave on for about 5 minutes.
3) turn 1 switch off.
4) run up to the third floor and observe light in question.
The light will be either:
A) on
B) off
C) off and cold
D) off and hot

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
OK. You don't want to play the game. I get it.

I tried to make it short. In the original, Clack tries out all sorts of scenarios: examining and testing the wiring, radio sound, assistant on the 3rd floor, checking for light outside after dark. All were disallowed by Click.

BTW, I couldn't solve it, but my teenage son got it right away.